Coyote hunting

When you guys setup.....do you try and use cover like a hedge row?? Just stay low in an open field?

Also gonna give this a shot on the 80 acres piece we deer and turkey hunt. Front 1/3 is cornfields with a south facing slope that drops down to a gas line and then eventually a creek....once you cross the creek and make it up the the south end of the property that opens up into another 9 acre field. Can I start by calling at the southern most part than move to the cornfields for a second set? Or should I just pick one area and focus on that?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

When you guys setup.....do you try and use cover like a hedge row?? Just stay low in an open field?

Also gonna give this a shot on the 80 acres piece we deer and turkey hunt. Front 1/3 is cornfields with a south facing slope that drops down to a gas line and then eventually a creek....once you cross the creek and make it up the the south end of the property that opens up into another 9 acre field. Can I start by calling at the southern most part than move to the cornfields for a second set? Or should I just pick one area and focus on that?

With 80 acres you definitely can try to split it to be able to hunt 2 spots. U definitely want to try and get some kinda cover around u, if in a field try to keep as low of a profile as possible. If theres and knolls try to to sit part way down so u dont silhouette yourself to the sky.

• Like 1

With 80 acres you definitely can try to split it to be able to hunt 2 spots. U definitely want to try and get some kinda cover around u, if in a field try to keep as low of a profile as possible. If theres and knolls try to to sit part way down so u dont silhouette yourself to the sky.
You should keep the volume low if your gonna try and do 2 sets.

I'd have to see it to be more helpful, but I would hunt an area with some sort of cover for your backdrop, as little disturbance on entrance as possible, best spot for the wind and give it 20 minutes before you crank the volume. I think any decent caller will reach out well past your 80 acres and pull preds in. May take time for them to commit, but getting across 80 acres is about 2 minutes time for a committed dog

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Am I reading the regs correctly.....if the area I am headed out to hunt tonight doesn't allow rifles during deer.....then I can't use a rifle larger than .22 rimfire for coyote?

Or does that mean you can't use a rifle during deer season?

7090d1b498d75a6af235b0a30815e152.jpg&key=85570e006a0ea5b3a65f54a8a8867525649bb1c9183dfb6fca75dc37193bbc36

4 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Am I reading the regs correctly.....if the area I am headed out to hunt tonight doesn't allow rifles during deer.....then I can't use a rifle larger than .22 rimfire for coyote?7090d1b498d75a6af235b0a30815e152.jpg

No....you can't use a rifle during OPEN deer seasons.

Deer season closed....use rifle.

Deer season open....only a shotgun or 22 rimfire or less than 22 centerfire like a 17 cal.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, mlammerhirt said:

Thanks for clearing that up ....just wanted to be sure

I think that might be one of the most misunderstood regs.

There was a guy here who taught hunter ed classes who taught that wrong; probably still does!

running dogs or calling ?

Neither. Just watching the fields Young dogs. Just like a Fox out mousing in the fields. Long shots. Miss as many as taken. Many guys just train them not to come into calling, the older,smarter ones anyways and it's hard to run them on this farm with Ft Drum right across the road. That's where most dogs come from and go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2nd sit of the season; 1st successful one.

Set up on a cut bean field ~ 8:00 AM, and used the Fox Pro call.  Hit him with the  22-250 @ 150 yards as he can out of the woods circling around downwind of the call. Passed up a shot on a red fox about 10 minutes before he showed up.

Total time of sit was 30-45 minutes.  

20190113_094038.jpg

• Like 8