Coyote hunting

3 hours ago, Belo said:

is there a cheapish mouth call one can get that doesn't require the $100+ of the electronic call?One that is worth it anyhow.  Maybe just to mess around on a weekend morning?

I have the one from Downwind Outdoors, it works great, but like any other reed call, it can freeze up.

1 hour ago, mlammerhirt said:

How long do you play a call sequence for?
Friday night we had yotes responding to a canine distress call and we went silent once we fired them them up ...... nothing ever showed up after 10-12 minutes...should have we kept calling?

This is becoming very addicting...not sure if that good or bad.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Treeguy has been doing the calling but what I learned in general is to start low with a food type call (baybee cottontail, bird in distress, fawn in distress).  He runs that for 5 min or more increasing volume, then on to call two if nothing shows - could be a another food call, and lastly is the yote pup distress or another social call.  I think he prefers to avoid the yote calls to start as it will drive away fox.  But if you are only targeting yotes, you may want to get into those calls earlier. He tends to run them constant without much stopping although he does switch it up occasionally.  I think you would be better off to continue running the call if you are getting a response or switch to a different call.  Silence may cause them to lose interest.  I know there is lots of debate on whether to stop for periods and restart.  Most I have read say keep calling.  But part of the fun is experimenting and seeing what works.  I plan to jump on the caller this weekend and maybe give treeguy a break for some sets.  We shall see.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

There's something really fun about touching off a shotgun in the middle of the night , perfectly legal and knowing someone  coming home from 3rd shift heard it and thought wtf was that ?

That was almost a nightly thing when I lived and worked in the hood during the early ‘90s ,once in my front yard even .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

see that's the issue. i'm not trying to spend more money haha. i appreciate the invite. 
I have extras of all essential items needed (for now) so join !

Moog has my program down for early season when fox are still legal. Once it's just Yotes I usually start with a coyote vocalization unless it's daytime. I like the female yodel howl or coyote locator. Then on to the bunnies and rodents. Less overall calling with more pauses in between. Also throw out some other random yote vocals. Then back to distress stuff. Once I'm confident I've done my best/45min or so, I ALWAYS finish with coyote pup distress. Foxpro's typically have pup distress #2 but I like to mix between 1,2 and 3. Everybody that has a foxpro has the same calls so I like switching it up between the 3 to sound different. I purchased 1 and 3.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Dog down. 28 minutes in. 2 min after I started baybee cottontail. Was doing rodent distress calls prior. Bout 130yrd poke. .223 layed em down. d9ff7d4665dc5695b2657b8265332b3f.jpg98d1cde08fc5400a65dac4dec0226783.jpg3d88eee2664c8048e71d7d617574a96d.jpg

Im jealous. Wanted to get out tonight, but were having an emergency at work and Im still at my desk. Nice work! Nice looking dog!

• Like 1

nice job Andrew!  

i had this come up on my news feed - a new thermal scope - would prob be great for yotin' .  Dunno how much they are - prob a bunch! but it is cool! https://www.recoilweb.com/pulsar-to-release-new-innovative-thermal-riflescope-thermion-144929.html

thinking about going this weekend - but daytime.  Either that or for a rabbit. See what the weather does - calling for a possible big storm Sat night 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

On 1/11/2019 at 1:57 PM, TACC said:

What mfg glass is that, power and size?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Athlon Optics. Unconditional unlimited warranty like Vortex with Great Customer Service. 

Model is Midas BTR

Power 2.5-15x50 30mm Tube

Just sighted it in yesterday. 1" groups @ 200 with handloads. 

The eye relief on this scope is unreal! 

20190110_180702.jpg

Nice job guys!!  Been wanting to get out but im very new to it.  I have a setup but only went a handful of times.  

Question:  treeguy.  I lost my pressure switch for my light.  If i can see your setup correctly it doesnt look like you have a pressure switch on your light.  Do you keep your kill light on at all times or do you turn it on/off periodically?   I assumed the clicking of the light would alert anything that was around. 

Edited by diplomat019

37 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

Nice job guys!!  Been wanting to get out but im very new to it.  I have a setup but only went a handful of times.  

Question:  treeguy.  I lost my pressure switch for my light.  If i can see your setup correctly it doesnt look like you have a pressure switch on your light.  Do you keep your kill light on at all times or do you turn it on/off periodically?   I assumed the clicking of the light would alert anything that was around. 

Not answering for treegut. However i use the the supplied remote push button for my wicked light gun light. Its silent, and has worked for me. My buddy has a traditional push button on his gun light. He also has killed plenty. So id guess its its not a huge deal, however i prefer to stay as quiet as possible.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Not answering for treegut. However i use the the supplied remote push button for my wicked light gun light. Its silent, and has worked for me. My buddy has a traditional push button on his gun light. He also has killed plenty. So id guess its its not a huge deal, however i prefer to stay as quiet as possible.

Thanks for the reply. My light makes noticeable click when I turn it on.  Do you run your light continuously or just to scan?

Never had one spook. I just use the standard button on the light. It does click, but I usually transition from headlamp to kill light well before they are close enough to hear it. I recommend being comfortable with whatever you pick. Small targets, happens fast, gotta be ready so do what feels best for you.

Way to go TreeGuy!!!   

Also, thanks for sharing your tips and tactics with us all! Would be great to get together for a hunt sometime! (here, there or both) moog too of course.

I've been a bit under the weather lately, so we didn't go out last weekend.

Will see what Ma nature has in store for the weather this weekend. (possible big snow storm) Would like to get out there!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Did I mention, always scan !?

about a billion times to me at least - I think you turned your light on starting at the Tim Hortons drive through

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1