Coyote hunting

I give Credit to anyone out in these temps. I was Thinking of going tonight until I drove To the gas station and it’s 1 degree out. Too noisy and just a little too cold for me. Hopefully there’s still some snow tomorrow night. 

Only one seen this morning in the -12 temp and 3ft of fresh snow. It was having as rough a time as we were. f0563402d421588546c5127fec57c2c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

Just got home. First set, eyes on the far side of the field I wasnt going to call. Got setup and started some soft lip squeaks. He bit, eyes bouncing across the field in a hurry. I got The scope on him and switched on the IR light, it was a nice big fox coming in hard. Bad thing was I was on a farm where fox are off limits. I figured I would See how close I could get him to come. 20 yards dead broadside off of lip squeaks and he stood there nice and pretty for me. I decided Just to call there so after the fox left I hit An interrogation howl and a pack lit up across the road. I packed My stuff quickly and headed to the field over there and got setup. 2 female invitation howls later and there’s eyes booking across the field toward me. I turned The volume down and went to baby cottontail distress and all of a sudden the eyes stopped. I got The scope on them and saw a yote slowly coming in. I watched As he closed the distance and when I thought He was close enough I barked At him and he stopped and looked at me. I flipped The safety off and sent one to him. Unfortunately I misjudged The range a bit and watched as he high tailed it out of there. I changed To a pup distress and he stopped and looked back then took off again. 

Second set, howling everywhere but nothing came in. While I was There the fog started getting thick and I decided To head elsewhere. 

Third set, eyes in the field when I pulled In. I got My stuff and walked slowly to the field. Scanned again and saw nothing. Lip squeaked for a few minutes, still nothing. Fired up the call and another bunch of howling way off in the distance. Stayed and called for 45 mins but no luck. By this time the fog was making it so I couldnt See much past 50-60 yards so I headed Home. 

Had a fun night even though no fur hit the ground. I would Have to say that fox was as good as dead though. 

• Like 5

Good luck 
Thank you for the luck. Back in my warm bed again. Didn't see nothing. Probably didn't help I had to go to my call after light because I wasted 30 mins thinking maybe I just couldn't hear the caller. Turns out I had the speaker button on off but power on. Thinking it's time to get a commercial decoy since my homemade one doesn't seem to work when the ground is frozen. The arrow shaft just can't penetrate concrete. All in all learned a bit at least what to make sure I check before heading to my sit. Also found out my blind crapped out courtesy of some ice so looks like I'll be buying a new one come turkey season. Oh well. All in all just great to be outside. Now time for a quick nap then breakfast/lunch and then FOOTBALL

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Thank you for the luck. Back in my warm bed again. Didn't see nothing. Probably didn't help I had to go to my call after light because I wasted 30 mins thinking maybe I just couldn't hear the caller. Turns out I had the speaker button on off but power on. Thinking it's time to get a commercial decoy since my homemade one doesn't seem to work when the ground is frozen. The arrow shaft just can't penetrate concrete. All in all learned a bit at least what to make sure I check before heading to my sit. Also found out my blind crapped out courtesy of some ice so looks like I'll be buying a new one come turkey season. Oh well. All in all just great to be outside. Now time for a quick nap then breakfast/lunch and then FOOTBALL

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

https://www.amazon.com/FOXPRO-FoxJack-American-Predator-Decoy/dp/B00GI27C1E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549202335&sr=8-3&keywords=foxpro+decoy

Made it out Friday evening for the first 2 sits of the year. Felt great to be out, even though it was extremely dead. My wife is in Vegas for the week, so my work schedule is whacked.. Going to try some mid morning to mid day after I take the kids to school.. 

7 hours ago, Team Hoyt said:

Has anyone used one of them coyote decoys. Been looking at them and thinking about buying one. Idk if they help or not. They look like the legs collapse into the body so it won't be to bulky to get in the field.

My buddy uses one when they get tricky to call, he likes it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Team Hoyt said:

Has anyone used one of them coyote decoys. Been looking at them and thinking about buying one. Idk if they help or not. They look like the legs collapse into the body so it won't be to bulky to get in the field.

I use a Mojo Critter, it works great. Ive had plenty of responses to it.