Coyote hunting

2 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Listen if @wolc can eat raccoon you can eat dog. 

I have not tried coon yet, but that is something I would not mind.  Most that I have killed have been early, prior to opening of trapping season, so they have to be burried whole (or burned).  I also would not want to skin and eat one early like that because there are so many bugs on them.   Their hides have been nearly worthless for many years, but if a young one made it until the first hard frost, and the opening trapping season, I might give it a try in the crock pot.  

I usually have the local ones trapped out by then, so that is not likely to happen.  The few that I have taken later (when the carcasses can just be tossed out in the fields to feed the vermin) never last too long.  They are usually picked clean in less than 24 hours.   By contrast, even a crow will not touch a coyote carcass.  They just shrivel up into "coyote jerky" until they get plowed under in the spring.   I think Steve Rinella tried coyote in a "Meateater" episode and had nothing good to say about it.  I would eat one of those, only if it was a matter of survival.    

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1