Recommended Posts

You hear that when you are inside the house?
No, outside my house. But I can only imagine a 3 inch high brass coyote load may be a bit noisier inside his house when it's a couple hundred yards away

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Jerkman said:

No, outside my house. But I can only imagine a 3 inch high brass coyote load may be a bit noisier inside his house when it's a couple hundred yards away

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
 

You would be surprised. I thought the same thing until I tested the theory.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You would be surprised. I thought the same thing until I tested the theory.
May have to test it when I hopefully get my first stinkdog. If when I call him to let him know of my hopeful success and he says he heard it then I'll know

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as tips go, I like to setup with the wind going from my right to left with the cover Im thinking they are in out in front if possible. Coyotes will usually sneak in and circle downwind, and Im right handed, so a shot in front or off to my left requires less movement to get on target. During the day, your camo is very important, just like turkey hunting. Youll want a fall pattern with not alot of leaves in it, and some good snow camo. My snow camo is just a light weight cover shell that I put on over my normal hunting clothes. A decoy of some sort helps big time as well, as it draws their attention away from you. At night, its a different ball game.

As for calling, start out quiet, so you dont blow critters that are close by out of there right off the bat. Predators can hear way better than you, so dont get crazy with your call volume. When you start calling, I wouldnt use coyote howls, etc at first. If you can target fox where you hunt, call for those first. Fox will usually barrel right in within the first 10 mins of a set. Coyotes on the other hand, will usually sneak in, and it may be 45 mins or more before they show themselves. The typical cottontail rabbit calls are ok, but if you have others calling in your area, chances are the critters have heard them all before and may be educated to them. Dont be afraid to use fawn bleats, turkey calls, or even distress calls for animals that dont live anywhere near here. Ive killed a few yotes and fox using jackrabbit distress and cat fight sequences.

Its going to be alot of trial and error, and dont get discouraged. You may go a season or two before you connect. Its alot of fun though, so keep at it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, grampy said:

I'm over in the Berne area. They travel quite a bit here too. Whenever I'd hear them at the lake property, I wouldn't at the farm property, and vise versa. About five miles apart. But no doubt there are always a couple home bodys that stick around.

My favorite coyote set ups are in a hedgerow, with a field in front of me and behind me, with the wind in my face. Calling to a thick area, where I expect them to be. A decoy out 75 yards away helps keep them focused on something. I like to start with a challenge bark and howl. Go silent then start with a distressed rabbit. This gives the impression that "hey we got interlopers, and they are stealing our food"!!!  This works well during the daylight hours for us. 

I heard some last night but they were pretty far away - to far to get them to respond. Could hear them howling after the train whistle.


NRA Life Member

Buckmaster's Life Member

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

fixed it

lol - he is threatening to steal my 458 upper because I "borrowed" his stinking kill light for a week. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lol - he is threatening to steal my 458 upper because I "borrowed" his stinking kill light for a week. 
As I re read our communication, you agreed that we had a fair trade going on. Don't back out now, thief.


Daytime hunts. Lots of good advice above. 100% play the wind. I wouldn't go in a blind because I like to be able to see as much as possible. Setup in the timber especially with a scatter blaster. Bird distress is my best producing daytime call. Nutty nuthatch, weepn woodpecker etc. Start low volumes, switch it up, and give some time in between calls. Later in the set 20-30min mark, depending on how much your call carries, don't be afraid to get loud. Coyote pup distress is my last resort and I play it on 100% of my sets. If they are there or have been listening they will come in. Most important, when your "done" don't be in a rush to get up and go. Give it 10 min of silence before you leave.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you could pick between 12 gauge slug, 12 gauge shot or 30-06, what would you hunt with?


"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Belo said:

if you could pick between 12 gauge slug, 12 gauge shot or 30-06, what would you hunt with?

12 gauge shot or 30-06 depending on where youre hunting. At times when I hunt with a buddy, we take a rifle for when we need to get out past 40-50 yards, and a shotty for those that come in close. Heck, Ive done that before when Im by myself, alot to carry though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Belo said:

if you could pick between 12 gauge slug, 12 gauge shot or 30-06, what would you hunt with?

I don't know much of anything about coyote hunting but why would anyone choose 12 gauge slug with those options? Brush shots?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

12 gauge shot or 30-06 depending on where youre hunting. At times when I hunt with a buddy, we take a rifle for when we need to get out past 40-50 yards, and a shotty for those that come in close. Heck, Ive done that before when Im by myself, alot to carry though.

how very growalot of you :rofl:

7 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I don't know much of anything about coyote hunting but why would anyone choose 12 gauge slug with those options? Brush shots?

no idea. never coyote hunted either. 

  • Haha 1

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be my first time out in the bush coyote hunting, want to use an electric caller. What would you guys who have done this before recommend as a newbie set up (i.e. brand, model etc)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CapDistPatriot said:

This will be my first time out in the bush coyote hunting, want to use an electric caller. What would you guys who have done this before recommend as a newbie set up (i.e. brand, model etc)?

lucky duck revolt, foxpro, icotech

  • Like 1

NRA Life Member

Buckmaster's Life Member

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I like going at night because its just flat out fun.  Seeing the eyes reflect back and then losing them and then they reappear.  I have only done one day hunt, but treeguy is schooling me for night hunts.  Skip euchre tomorrow!

Since I'll be there tomorrow, it would be so cool to hunt tomorrow night with you and Treeguy! I know I'd learn something from Andrew.  But due to stuff needing to get done, looks like a round trip in a day. But will be out that way again soon!  And of course my door is always open too! You and Andrew, will need to figure out who gets the spare bedroom and who gets the couch though......lol

Right now, we got lots of yotes sounding off, every night at the farm. Hoping to get after them asap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an update decided to order up a Trulock Predator 12 gauge choke. From what I could find out those seem to be the best out there and also I fell for their marketing where they made it specifically for #4 buck and after seeing their patterning and just general chat on the web about their chokes seems to be the cremé de la cremé when it comes to chokes. Hopefully it will arrive before next weekend. Really hoping to get out there and test it out!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I like going at night because its just flat out fun.  Seeing the eyes reflect back and then losing them and then they reappear.  I have only done one day hunt, but treeguy is schooling me for night hunts.  Skip euchre tomorrow!

If you guys want some company, let me know, Im around all weekend. Was planning to be out hunting at least one night this weekend. The WNY predator slam is this weekend. Last I saw, they had like 100 teams entered in it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

If you guys want some company, let me know, Im around all weekend. Was planning to be out hunting at least one night this weekend. The WNY predator slam is this weekend. Last I saw, they had like 100 teams entered in it.

Text me.  Its me, Andrew and David going as of now.  The more the merrier. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Text me.  Its me, Andrew and David going as of now.  The more the merrier. 

Great team!  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

you all are braver than I, i dont even like fishing in the dark - talk about hunting at night......good luck.  

I will admit, the first time going out at night, it felt a bit odd.  Like we were doing something illegal - shining and shooting.  But it really is fun - especially when Treeguy constantly bashes you for stealing his stuff and missing foxes.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, moog5050 said:

I will admit, the first time going out at night, it felt a bit odd.  Like we were doing something illegal - shining and shooting.  But it really is fun - especially when Treeguy constantly bashes you for stealing his stuff and missing foxes.

its probably easier to steal his stuff in the dark too!  good plan.  lol 

Yeah ive been out in the boat fishing at night and it always seemed to be a cluster.   Hooks and lines tangled..., where is shore.....

Hell I have enough of a time getting to my stand in the dark during deer season without sounding like a wounded water buffalo.  

But im sure it will be a hoot with those guys no matter what, yotes or not.  Prob more laughs than yotes. ! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

you all are braver than I, i dont even like fishing in the dark - talk about hunting at night......good luck.  

You mean hunting in the dark with the creepy sounds of animals dying coming from the call and red lights scanning around for glowing eyes running at you doesnt sound like a good time?

Ive tried taking both of my kids out, and it made both of them cry lol.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

You mean hunting in the dark with the creepy sounds of animals dying coming from the call and red lights scanning around for glowing eyes running at you doesnt sound like a good time?

Ive tried taking both of my kids out, and it made both of them cry lol.

The calls are terrifying on their own.  lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

The calls are terrifying on their own.  lol

Lightning jack rabbit has a section of it that sounds like satan saying help me help me. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You mean hunting in the dark with the creepy sounds of animals dying coming from the call and red lights scanning around for glowing eyes running at you doesnt sound like a good time?
Ive tried taking both of my kids out, and it made both of them cry lol.
Can you use a green light....will it work?
Or is red just better?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.