Coyote hunting

32 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!!! Get it done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enough with the SHORT jokes  !!….

Confucious say... " Crowded elevator smell DIFFERENT to midget "......Hehehe....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

First stand tonight, they started howling back after the 12th minuet,[mention=9806]redneric[/mention] had a shot at one and his gun didn’t go off. When is he gunna learn you can’t slowly close the chamber on a AR

At least pound on the forward assist

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So we just hunted a farm we got permission on today, did rat distrsss for about 30 min nothing came in, did a few long female howls, the swamp lit up they went crazy for about 5 minuets. Did some more rat distress and nothing came in.

Lots of fun but still nothing

• Like 1

Wait...what?!?

Yup dog care in at 12 min to my left 70 yards only shot I had was off hand and dead on. He looked like he was gunna bolt out the crosshairs between the glowing eyes and pulled the trigger. No blood no dead dog

Yup dog care in at 12 min to my left 70 yards only shot I had was off hand and dead on. He looked like he was gunna bolt out the crosshairs between the glowing eyes and pulled the trigger. No blood no dead dog

Didn’t feel right to click “like” on the above. Too bad-some cool action though for sure.

First stand tonight, they started howling back after the 12th minuet,[mention=9806]redneric[/mention] had a shot at one and his gun didn’t go off. When is he gunna learn you can’t slowly close the chamber on a AR

Soon as he learns to make sure the gun is loaded prior to trying to shoot it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Soon as he learns to make sure the gun is loaded prior to trying to shoot it

I was loaded it miss fired for some reason, I cleared miss fire and tried to rechambet a round but was being nice to others and am also still kinda new to an AR so now I know live and learn@chefhunter86 loves busting my chops

I was loaded it miss fired for some reason, I cleared miss fire and tried to rechambet a round but was being nice to others and am also still kinda new to an AR so now I know live and learn[mention=762]chefhunter86[/mention] loves busting my chops

That's what it's all about. Shit first time I went pheasant hunting a bird flushed and I tried to pull the trigger. Had the safety still on. Took a bit of ribbing for that one. Always good to be able to make fun of your friends

That's what it's all about. Shit first time I went pheasant hunting a bird flushed and I tried to pull the trigger. Had the safety still on. Took a bit of ribbing for that one. Always good to be able to make fun of your friends

Oh I’m not making fun of him... when we got out of the car he went to chamber a round and eased the charging handle back down to be quiet, goes to shoot and nothing. He then tries to clear the chamber and start over and the live round more or less stovepiped ... that shit was funny.

I may not be making fun of him but I can for sure put his shit out there for you guys too

• Like 1

Oh I’m not making fun of him... when we got out of the car he went to chamber a round and eased the charging handle back down to be quiet, goes to shoot and nothing. He then tries to clear the chamber and start over and the live round more or less stovepiped ... that shit was funny.

I may not be making fun of him but I can for sure put his shit out there for you guys too

Oh I'll bring him to tears

• Like 1

Easy pal lol, ill admit it was my screw up I’m good like that,

14 hours ago, Steve D said:

Made it out for the last hour of the day. I am not having much faith in this day time calling. Haven't had one come in or even answer yet.

IMG_20190210_162604[1].jpg

Are you trying to howl during the day? If so, dont except right at dawn or dusk. Daytime calling is going to be all distress sounds, and a decoy like a fox jack or mojo critter is big. Keep the decoy and call about 50-60 yards in front of you. I like to hunt a cross wind, and I keep the call and decoy in the upwind direction, and pay close attention to its downwind direction. Its a whole different ballgame than night hunting.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Are you trying to howl during the day? If so, dont except right at dawn or dusk. Daytime calling is going to be all distress sounds, and a decoy like a fox jack or mojo critter is big. Keep the decoy and call about 50-60 yards in front of you. I like to hunt a cross wind, and I keep the call and decoy in the upwind direction, and pay close attention to its downwind direction. Its a whole different ballgame than night hunting.

Do you stick to timber during day?  I suspect getting them to expose themselves in fields during day is tougher too.

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Do you stick to timber during day?  I suspect getting them to expose themselves in fields during day is tougher too.

Not entirely. Sometimes Ill sit in the hardwoods. I usually sit closer to the field edges during the day. Depending on the spot sometimes you can see them coming through the woods, other times they just pop out onto the field edge to see whats going on. It really depends on the spot. I wont go sit or stand in the middle of a field like at night though, gotta have cover during the day and camo is more important.

33 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Daytime calling is going to be all distress sounds, and a decoy like a fox jack or mojo critter is big. Keep the decoy and call about 50-60 yards in front of you. I like to hunt a cross wind, and I keep the call and decoy in the upwind direction, and pay close attention to its downwind direction. Its a whole different ballgame than night hunting.

Yeah I am aware of all that. I don't use a decoy at all and figured why use one if they aren't responding. I can see the need if they are coming in and will give them something to concentrate on instead of the hunter.

Actually the only reason I am trying it is to test the theories of one of the local experts that writes a column all the time and has all kind of "tips" for successful hunts.

Downwind Outdoors also  does a lot of their calling during the day time and has pretty good results. A couple of years ago I was out calling coons(raccoons) in the day time and had two coyotes come in but they stayed in the thick stuff and all I had was a .22 rifle. I hit one of them but didn't get it.

Since we have quite a few around here and I didn't catch any trapping I figured I would give it a shot during the day when possible and the resident expert says the "first thing" in the morning and "last" hour are supposed to be the best.

I try to get as close to the area I think they may be and hope I can draw one out but no luck yet. I much prefer night hunting but figured I'd give the day shift a few tries and see what happens.

• Like 1

Did second daytime sit of season with my new foxpro. Different location this time, deeper in woods off driveway in to parking area. Parked at road and hiked in about 3/4 of a mile. Sat and let woods settle about half an hour. Then started jackrabbit distress. About 45 seconds in, 4 crows circled overhead, cawing like crazy. Left that on for about 10 mins, then switched to cottontail dying. As soon as that came on, two yotes started yelping in front of me, but they wouldnt commit. 

This is my first year coyote hunting, any suggestions on what i should have done at that point to coax them in?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CapDistPatriot said:

Did second daytime sit of season with my new foxpro. Different location this time, deeper in woods off driveway in to parking area. Parked at road and hiked in about 3/4 of a mile. Sat and let woods settle about half an hour. Then started jackrabbit distress. About 45 seconds in, 4 crows circled overhead, cawing like crazy. Left that on for about 10 mins, then switched to cottontail dying. As soon as that came on, two yotes started yelping in front of me, but they wouldnt commit. 

This is my first year coyote hunting, any suggestions on what i should have done at that point to coax them in?

They are smart as I am learning and sometimes you just can’t convince them.  Had a group howling last night that wouldn’t come in and another that showed at a different set far out.  Was hoping he would commit and come in but he just kept heading in the wrong direction.  Swing and a miss at 270ish.  

Edited by moog5050

How loud was your caller I’ve noticed less is better

• Like 1