Coyote hunting

2 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Neither. Just watching the fields Young dogs. Just like a Fox out mousing in the fields. Long shots. Miss as many as taken. Many guys just train them not to come into calling, the older,smarter ones anyways and it's hard to run them on this farm with Ft Drum right across the road. That's where most dogs come from and go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here , I just sit in a stand and shoot them when they come out in a field . I did buy some squeak toy/ call thing I may use Tuesday afternoon .

• Like 1

How long are people keeping their sits? I'm hunting 42 acres and just don't know when to move/how far/how long to stay in a spot etc

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Calls reach out. It's not what YOU have to hunt, what borders your property ? If there's a 300 acre block of timber against your 42, depending on volume you are basically hunting all of it. You could own a 2 acre field and call dogs of all of your neighbors. Kinda like turkey but dogs are willing to travel once they commit. 45 is usually my rule of thumb depending on the set but just did one last week where I believe we had a fox come in around the 45min mark. Whatever you do, scan on your way in, and scan on your way out. Seen it happen so many times either way.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Calls reach out. It's not what YOU have to hunt, what borders your property ? If there's a 300 acre block of timber against your 42, depending on volume you are basically hunting all of it. You could own a 2 acre field and call dogs of all of your neighbors. Kinda like turkey but dogs are willing to travel once they commit. 45 is usually my rule of thumb depending on the set but just did one last week where I believe we had a fox come in around the 45min mark. Whatever you do, scan on your way in, and scan on your way out. Seen it happen so many times either way.

Got probably 50 acres across the way plus another 90 or so across the road maybe 700 yards diagonally. But idk if they'll cross the road then go through a neighbor then to me. But I guess if they are interested enough maybe they will

Got probably 50 acres across the way plus another 90 or so across the road maybe 700 yards diagonally. But idk if they'll cross the road then go through a neighbor then to me. But I guess if they are interested enough maybe they will

If you get them to commit, roads mean nothing to a dog.

If you get them to commit, roads mean nothing to a dog.

Apparently I need to either find the seductive calls or just get better with what I've currently got or more likely a combo of both plus a ton of luck

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

That was also the 4th fox to come in AFTER the first one was shot at. Moog actually asked if it's worth it to stay after you shoot.... His question was answered.

Back in the days when I was calling/hunting, we had of plenty of foxes come in after a shot ( or two) had been fired...  Of course, they may have been dumber back then, since not many people were doing it at the time... After a few years, when more people started calling, they definitely got harder to kill...

2 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

How long are people keeping their sits? I'm hunting 42 acres and just don't know when to move/how far/how long to stay in a spot etc

20 minutes per set is the norm

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

20 minutes per set is the norm
Now can one do a 20 min set then just sit there quietly (I was in a tree stand and climbing up and down and lowering a shotgun is a pain in the nuts) and wait some time then start again or is this bad strategy?

I definitely recommend longer than a 20 min set. Just my .02. Especially if your targeting Yotes.

I only want yotes. And rather not shoot a fox because I find them cute and enjoy watching them hop around trying to catch mice. That said if one tries to steal my decoy or bite my call his ass is fried

16 minutes ago, Belo said:

is there a cheapish mouth call one can get that doesn't require the $100+ of the electronic call?One that is worth it anyhow.  Maybe just to mess around on a weekend morning?

There are a few good ones out there. Try the Flextone Double Up Combo. Comes with the Dying Rabbit and Coyote Rage howler. I've used both of these with success. Easy to get good sounds out of them too, with just a little practice.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, grampy said:

There are a few good ones out there. Try the Flextone Double Up Combo. Comes with the Dying Rabbit and Coyote Rage howler. I've used both of these with success. Easy to get good sounds out of them too, with just a little practice.

I have not tried blowing one long enough although I did buy a couple of mouth calls at Grampy's suggestion but I would hate blowing for 20 min straight or longer on a set specifically for yotes.  I keep the mouth calls in my pack when deer hunting just in case I see one and want to call it in.

I have not tried blowing one long enough although I did buy a couple of mouth calls at Grampy's suggestion but I would hate blowing for 20 min straight or longer on a set specifically for yotes.  I keep the mouth calls in my pack when deer hunting just in case I see one and want to call it in.
How long do you play a call sequence for?
Friday night we had yotes responding to a canine distress call and we went silent once we fired them them up ...... nothing ever showed up after 10-12 minutes...should have we kept calling?

This is becoming very addicting...not sure if that good or bad.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Keep in mind the reeds on mouth calls freeze quick while blowing moisture into them and frigid temps. In no time you'll have a kazoo
Happened to my grunt tube. Apparently my pocket on my jacket had too much moisture. Thought for sure my custom call was toast. Was really bummed. Then after a day or two left in my house it was grunting up a storm again