Going rate to lease hunting land

BBDEric

I recently bought 65 acres and have now been approached to lease the 74 acres that boarders the property on 2 sides. They are asking 15 per acre and are requiring insurance. Does this seem fair? I feel I have to lease it considering if I don't someone else will. Thoughts

Edited by BBDEric

Thanks moog. This was the 43 acres I had the run in with when I bought it. Then got really lucky when the landlocked owner behind me sold me his 22 acres. So 65 acres now. And now opportunity to lease more. Pieces just falling togeather after a bad start.

Edited by BBDEric
  • Like 2

That's a good price. Did some research on it a while back and in NY most places were $14 an acre and had to have insurance.  Of course more in certain parts of state .  I pay a lot less but it's a friend of mine.  That seems like a fair deal and doubles your land for sure.  And the fact it butts up to your land makes it an even better deal.  

Just fyi I was asked to lease 85 acres last with insurance. The price for the lease ain't bad. But once I called for insurance price it was over $1000. As I was told by multiple insurance companies that is price for New York. So I passed on that lease. So good luck to you hopefully you have better luck, but I'd look into prices b4 you say yes.

28 minutes ago, Team Hoyt said:

Just fyi I was asked to lease 85 acres last with insurance. The price for the lease ain't bad. But once I called for insurance price it was over $1000. As I was told by multiple insurance companies that is price for New York. So I passed on that lease. So good luck to you hopefully you have better luck, but I'd look into prices b4 you say yes.

i looked at insurance threw qdma and they quoted me $185

Edited by BBDEric

was able to get a lease in place for 13.50 per acre with a 5 year term. annual payment!!!! thoughts on regular posted signs vs leased signs. i can use either or. i ordered alluminum voss postes signs for the 65 acre piece we own. 

Edited by BBDEric
  • Like 3

was able to get a lease in place for 13.50 per acre with a 5 year term. annual payment!!!! thoughts on regular posted signs vs leased signs. i can use either or. i ordered alluminum voss postes signs for the 65 acre piece we own. 

Congrats and Good luck! When my Dad bought land a few years we decided to post with yellow signs that are a hard plastic based on reviews. It’s been 3 years and not 1 sign shows any wear. They are customized with his name on it so you don’t have to worry about writing anything or marker wearing off. It’s sketches into the sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats and Good luck! When my Dad bought land a few years we decided to post with yellow signs that are a hard plastic based on reviews. It’s been 3 years and not 1 sign shows any wear. They are customized with his name on it so you don’t have to worry about writing anything or marker wearing off. It’s sketches into the sign.

Moldcraft is the company he uses. I think they are WNY actually