Smokeless build

sbuff

Anyone doing any smokes builds, I think I am going to build one with an omega action and a brux barrel. I lost out on a 45/70 cva scout that was for sale here, that was going to get a make over to a .45 cal smoker ..

I built one using a Remington 700 ML action a few years back.  It has a Brux barrel and radial brake on it.  It's on the heavy side, but is one of the best shooting firearms I own.  I think next time I would skip the break, as it's a pain to load through and the noise is awful...  I used Luke at Arrowhead sporting goods for my barrel and other parts and he was great to work with.  What are your plans for bullets?  Are you planning on still using sabots, or are you going to smooth form or full form your bullets?

I agree, I would skip the sabots they are nothing but trouble with smokeless pressures.  Honestly for what you are trying to do smooth forming would be my suggestion.  It's very easy to size them and loading is a breeze as well.  I'm shooting a 275 grain Parker just over 3000 FPS.  I could push it harder, but there's really no need.  This load is a little over 5000 ft-# of energy at the muzzle and the ballistics are really great.

2 hours ago, Chromeslayer said:

Im getting 3050fps with 78g of IMR 4198 powder with a 275g pittman accumax bullet

AS already stated....YOWSA!!!

I shoot 43 (or is it 44?) grains of SR 4759 and a 275gr Parker BE.  I don't recall my MV but I don't think it's anywhere NEAR that?

10 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Damn  !!  That's .378 Weatherby ballistics....I am no math wiz, but I know enough about simple physics to know that a rifle that propels a 275 grain bullet at 3000 FPS  would kick like hell, unless it weighs 20 pounds !

Gun weighs around 15lbs... its a tank!  It wasnt built to be a carry gun thats for sure.. it also has a muzzle brake on it so it kicks less than a 20ga id say

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chromeslayer said:

Gun weighs around 15lbs... its a tank!  It wasnt built to be a carry gun thats for sure.. it also has a muzzle brake on it so it kicks less than a 20ga id say

Are you using it because centerfire rifles are not legal where you hunt, or  just because you enjoy the process of dealing with the front loaders ? Or BOTH....??… 

2 minutes ago, Chromeslayer said:

49 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Are you using it because centerfire rifles are not legal where you hunt, or  just because you enjoy the process of dealing with the front loaders ? Or BOTH....??… 

Yep im in Niagara county so no rifles here.. what guys are doing with these guns is truely amazing 

And Jeff Fisk from Bestill Creations Custom muzzleloaders explaining what it takes to shoot these builds at long ranges

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chromeslayer said:

Im getting 3050fps with 78g of IMR 4198 powder with a 275g pittman accumax bullet

Same load basically that I'm shooting.  You're not running that out of an Omega conversion are you?  What action, Remington 700 CF, 700 ML, or large shank savage?  What ignition are you using? I'm still using 209, it works just fine for me and is simple.  I know the trend lately is to use LMRP module ignition systems. Just curious.

7 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

Same load basically that I'm shooting.  You're not running that out of an Omega conversion are you?  What action, Remington 700 CF, 700 ML, or large shank savage?  What ignition are you using? I'm still using 209, it works just fine for me and is simple.  I know the trend lately is to use LMRP module ignition systems. Just curious.

Gun is built on a savage action with no barrel nut... so its a 1.250 dia for the first 5in then tapered to 1in at the muzzle so it can handle the mag loads.. using the Hankins ignition with the modules.  

• Like 1