Dealing with mice at hunting camp

Al Bundy

What does everyone do for this??? I tried the old style spring loaded traps, the black tray things where they are supposed to get stuck. The electric pulse thing that plugs into the wall. Only thing  I have not tried is warfarin.  I don't want them to die in the walls. so would rather not go this route.  Mouse shit surrounded the black tray type traps. They stole the cheese from the other trap.  Cat is not really an option.

Old style trap with peanut butter.... In three years not a mouse and this fall an explosion of the population.

I had to climb all around the exterior and put aluminum over the tiniest of entry points.

The only upside is they make good trap bait...I laid in bed one night listening to them climb up the porch, into the ridge pole opening and across the entire ridge pole of camp.... I tried to spray foam in from inside and they chewed that and it was "snowing" inside.... 

14 minutes ago, G-Man said:

5 gallon Bucket of antifreeze about 4 in deep., a spinner over the top of it with peanut butter on it and a ramp for them to walk up.. no smell will have bucket of dead mice in spring

This is what ł use, you put a ramp on either side of the spinner and they pile in. ł use the Pink RV antifreeze because it's $3/Gallon and it has a sweet smell which doubles as an attractant. Get a $1 fish net from the pet section and just fish em out as found. 

20180518_200049.jpg

Edited by XGX7PM
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, G-Man said:

5 gallon Bucket of antifreeze about 4 in deep., a spinner over the top of it with peanut butter on it and a ramp for them to walk up.. no smell will have bucket of dead mice in spring

Yep. Been using one of these for years at our club. No need to be there to reset snap traps - works all winter while nobody is at camp.  In the spring, we just empty the bucket, replace the RV antifreeze (which is safer for the environment ) and peanut butter. It's a better mouse trap.

This is what ł use, you put a ramp on either side of the spinner and they pile in. ł use the Pink RV antifreeze because it's $3/Gallon and it has a sweet smell which doubles as an attractant. Get a $1 fish net from the pet section and just fish em out as found. 
20180518_200049.thumb.jpg.d59a847ff62a1b97f6a8a02091ed7ea4.jpg
So you notch out the bucket where the spinner sits?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, XGX7PM said:

20180518_200049.jpg

That's basically what we do, only we take the top and bottom off a coffee can and slide it over the pipe. Then put the peanut butter on that.

28 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

So you notch out the bucket where the spinner sits?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Drill two holes, compress bucket to get threaded rod through then attach nuts.

Keep it loose enough that it spins freely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mowin said:

This works great. It's a great option when you can't check the traps often. 

we've always put the ramps up to the side of the can and not the ends. Leave is back a couple inches and when they put their front feet on the can they take a head dive in. Yard sticks work great for ramps

My daughter & son-in law use the bucket method with a little variation. They run a small rod through a beer can and smear the peanut butter on the beer can. One bucket has a bud light can and the other a coors light can so they can have a "beer challenge" between the two.

Keeps them entertained. :biggrin:

Another thing to try is fresh cab. It keeps them out of our camper:

freshcab.jpg

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

This is GREAT stuff!! Im going to set up the bucket this weekend and close up camp til snow geese come back in the spring. I have a bucket and anti freeze I use to winterize. I need a spinner is all and in business. Ideas where to pick one up?

6 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

This is GREAT stuff!! Im going to set up the bucket this weekend and close up camp til snow geese come back in the spring. I have a bucket and anti freeze I use to winterize. I need a spinner is all and in business. Ideas where to pick one up?

Amazon, $10.

Once you have a working example you can easily make your own version.

Nice to have these in the shed, pole barn etc...

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

My friend makes them with a paint can, he cuts the lid a bit smaller so it pivots in the opening and when they walk out on it they end up like poor Natalie Wood. 

Yes that is the plank method they sell versions of both on amazon..I find the beer can on a piece of wire works and at no cost

• Like 1