Dealing with mice at hunting camp

Al Bundy

11 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I have also seen it done with water and float seed on top they jump into bucket to eat. and drown 

I used to use sunflower seeds /water in the bucket for chipmunks....Then the bears discovered the buckets and that was the end of that...Now if I set a bucket outside it only works until the bears find  it ( usually within a couple of days)..After that it's useless ; they tip over and empty the buckets every day.....

The bucket trap is a good trap. We use it to clean out the cabin once a season. But u can't let it sit wks with out going there. It stinks to high heaven. Normally I put it in the mud room so it doesn't stink up the whole place. Also. With the old spring traps it's more fun. Ur at hunting camp right? So we put our names on the back and keep score. It's fun finding the best place in the camp to get ur kills! Happy hunting 

4 minutes ago, nodeerhere said:

The bucket trap is a good trap. We use it to clean out the cabin once a season. But u can't let it sit wks with out going there. It stinks to high heaven. Normally I put it in the mud room so it doesn't stink up the whole place. Also. With the old spring traps it's more fun. Ur at hunting camp right? So we put our names on the back and keep score. It's fun finding the best place in the camp to get ur kills! Happy hunting 

That's why u use antifreeze..kills smell. 

• Like 1

Don't think they can climb up a 5 gallon bucket with only a few inches of liquid in the bottom. I found a crusty one in the bathtub once. No telling how long it was there as nobody ever uses it.  It must have climbed down for water or something and couldn't get back up.

4 hours ago, G-Man said:

Yes that is the plank method they sell versions of both on amazon..I find the beer can on a piece of wire works and at no cost

The paint cans are free too, unless you buy a brand new gallon of paint and dump it out to make the trap lol. He even uses the free paint stick as the ramp

• Like 1

Too big for mice though.  Plus, $200 to start and monthly expense for bait and CO2 charges, (which have to their screw in types) can add up.  If you have a real expense rat or squirrel problem, it may be worth it, but for mice it's too much.

2 hours ago, Rattler said:

Too big for mice though.  Plus, $200 to start and monthly expense for bait and CO2 charges, (which have to their screw in types) can add up.  If you have a real expense rat or squirrel problem, it may be worth it, but for mice it's too much.

Just fill jar with peanut butter . Get rid of a lot of chipmunks and squirrels. That is about 45 kills make for a quiet stand

I've been battling mice for a few years.The bucket traps work great put one on each side of the house,but you really need to empty them on a regular basis.When i'm not up there I use four bait boxes.The problem can be if a chipmunk,red squirrel or weasel get in the wipe everything out in one shot.

I haven't tried this yet but read that one part plaster of paris to one part coco mix works the same way as the bait blocks.

MICE SUCK!!!!

My brother has had a weasel living  in his walls and around the house for years.  No mice around.  Occasionally traps a field mouse in the old barn and leaves it out for the weasel.  Can darn near feed it by hand.  Occasionally it’ll come out a little hole in the back room and stand on its rear feet.  Get a weasel ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

My brother has had a weasel living  in his walls and around the house for years.  No mice around.  Occasionally traps a field mouse in the old barn and leaves it out for the weasel.  Can darn near feed it by hand.  Occasionally it’ll come out a little hole in the back room and stand on its rear feet.  Get a weasel ! 

I got a weasel here at work!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Your the second person that said leave the weasel. I’m going to try and weasel proof the bait boxes. Maybe set up another trail cam.
I’m starting to think it’s a red squirrel in this pic not a weasel.
4e4bc8b442f00c070d1a486e33fdc88f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk