Time to lose the weight

Swamp_bucks

It is time.   Ive been over weight most of my life except for a 4 yr span.   I dropped 80lbs in high school and kept it off until i was 21-22.    Decided this was the year i have a free gym at work im going to use.   My biggest hurtle will be my sweets.  I plan on low carb higher protien diet along with more excerise.    Im 31 and can maybe run 100yrds before needing to take a break.  So my hope is if i make it public and track my progress some how some way it will give me that extra push to get into a healthier lifestyle.  My wife will be doing the same.  She will be focusing more on walking and body weight training(think thats what its called, pushup,situps,squats type of things).  Ill post weekly updates with weight and progress.   

My goals out of this. Is to be down 50-80lbs before this time next year.  And to eventually run in a 5k within 2 years with my SIL.  Along with being able to hike to my hunting spots and not have my heart feel like its coming out of my chest.

• Like 11

Good luck, My Friend...I am 68 ( going on 69)  and I can run about  3 steps without taking a break.... At your age, the WORLD is your huckleberry...You should be able to do anything you want to do... I wish you the best....

• Like 2

You can do it, sweets are my down fall also. once you get off them your going to be shocked how bad they make you feel if you eat them again. I lost  50 lbs last year and kinda slacked off and gained and lost the same 5 over the last few months. But now I am back on track and going to drop another 30 myself by summer. Just remember the more muscle one has the more calories they burn. Good luck to you.. 

• Like 2

Good luck!  I once shed 40 lbs over 6 months and know it takes a solid commitment.  However, once you get into the habit of eating right and exercising, it's actually kind of easy.  Here's a few things that worked for me that might help you out.

1. Cut out sugar and most sugar substitutes.  This was probably the single most important change that I made.  You can satisfy your sweet tooth with fruits and real honey instead.

2. Get regular exercise.  3-4 days per week is all you need.  You don't need to kill yourself in a gym; just find something you enjoy that increases your heart rate.  Cardio is good for weight loss, but adding muscle burns fat faster so incorporate some kind of resistance training if you can.

3. Eat a lot!  Yes, you read that right.  But fill up on good stuff at meal times.  Go heavy with protein, but don't forget the carbs and veggies.  I eat a ton of grilled chicken, pork tenderloin, beans, brown rice, protein pasta, wild Atlantic salmon, peanut butter, protein bread, eggs, brocolli and bananas.  I have a protein bar (gotta watch the sugar content on those) or shake daily.  If you eat 6 times a day, that's 42 meals per week.  Take 2 "cheat" meals per week and eat whatever you want.  Your body will thank you for it.  

4. Set reasonable short-term goals (monthly) and long-term goals (90, 180 days).  Write everything down in a journal and track your progress.  At the end of each day, give yourself a 'win' or 'loss'.  Aim for a 90% win percentage and you'll do great.  

Some other things I did that had some cumulative affect included drinking black coffee daily (no way I was giving up coffee, but I ditched the sweetened creamers), taking a tsp of coconut oil daily, using cinnamon on my oatmeal and high protein yogurt and seasoning my eggs and rice with hot sauce.  I also didn't drink much beer or wine during that 6 months.  

Anyway, these are some of the main things that helped me back then and have remained habits to this day.  Anything is possible if you set your mind to it.

• Like 6

When starting out, I would recommend lots of cardio and a little weight lifting.  When you start working out, you will want to quit when you run out of breath.  You will also feel like you cannot do it and that will cause you to quit. 

I found riding a bicycle was best for me.  You get good cardio and low level muscle work at the same time when the route you travel requires some effort.  Also, low impact cardio is a lot easier on your skeletal frame than running marathons.   You don't want back and knee problems in your 50's.  (Swimming is also great if you have access to a good pool.)  I planned a 5 mile bike loop that started off easy and gently sloped downhill, then it leveled for 1 mile, which I pedaled through to get the resistance.  The last mile was a gradual uphill slope that really gave the muscles a good workout after they were completely warmed up.  Riding a bike like this uses most of the muscles in your body simultaneously, but not to the point of over exertion.  The uphill portion uses the upper body too, as you tend to stand when pedaling and use your arms for pulling.  Plus, you can't quit until you get home again. LOL!  I also find the time you have to think to yourself, while the scenery rolls by, is quite relaxing and helpful.  The breeze while riding feels good too.  With time and progress you move into longer rides, heavier weights and longer workouts.  That's good progress.

One other thing worth mentioning.  Take your current measurements.  Neck, chest, biceps, waist and thighs.  You want to sculpt your body to the desired dimensions as well as get rid of fat.  Losing weight is required up to a point, that being getting rid of the fat.  But muscle is heavier than fat, and at a certain point you will want to gain weight again.  The measurements will get smaller where you want, like your waist, while getting larger in the chest, legs and arms.  This is good weight gain, because it is muscle mass, which is what you are really after.  At this point eating enough food to feed the higher consumption of calories your body is using, will require you to eat more food, albeit the right foods, to put on more of the muscle mass.  That's when you move out of the losing weight class, and transition into the body building class.

Keep in mind this may take a long time, even years.  But as long as things are moving in the right direction, you are winning.  Never give up because the results are slow in coming.  It has to become a lifestyle.  Think how long ago it was you were in the shape you want to be in now.  How many years did it take to go from there to the shape you are in now?  Don't assume it will take any less time to reverse all of that, it will take lots of time, but in reality, it will take far less time if you are doing it all correctly.

You have made a great decision.  It's up to you to carry it through.  I'm motivated by the thought that once a man let's himself go too far, he hits the point of no return.  That's the point where the work and will power required to get back in shape is virtually impossible for mortal men to accomplish.  Catch the situation soon enough and you can make it happen.  Once there, you will be proud of yourself.  That being said, you will also have to keep up the lifestyle (work) for the rest of your life if you wish to remain proud of yourself, stay healthy and live longer.  I find having grandchildren motivates me to do that.

Beat of Luck and Much Respect!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Some other things I did that had some cumulative affect included drinking black coffee daily (no way I was giving up coffee, but I ditched the sweetened creamers), taking a tsp of coconut oil daily, using cinnamon on my oatmeal and high protein yogurt and seasoning my eggs and rice with hot sauce.  I also didn't drink much beer or wine during that 6 months.  

Jdubs, would you be so kind as to expand a little on the reasoning for this?  Does it increase the metabolism and caloric burn rate or help with energy?  I may want to incorporate these things into my regimen.

good luck !  You got this!

About 10 years ago i made the same commitment and lost 112 pounds.  I decided i was going to lose weight and pay off all debt.  I did both!  I got a second job and worked out a lot etc.  I have since, over 10 years, gained about 50 of it back and am back on the wagon.  But 10 years was a pretty good span!  To lose the weight i picked one day to eat what i wanted for one meal at the least - friday night could have whatever i wanted for the most part.  Weekends i always still had breakfast as well but no bread/pancakes -  i would have an omelette/ eggs/ meat.  But regularly during the week i had coffee and not much else for breakfast ( i also get up at 4 am for work so usually not hungry anyway), lunch I would have a bowl of cereal like raisin bran or a tuna wrap or two boiled eggs.  Dinner - 2 times a week i would have soup and 2 times a week a buffalo chicken salad or a piece of venison and vegetables - no taters or pasta.And i would have dinner as early as possible - by 5 pm.  If i wanted a snack it was popcorn or pretzels and mustard.  Drink lots of water.  And i ate an apple everyday as well. 

I walk and work out all i could.  Every chance i could.  Workout time was set from 6-7 every night.  I would break it up with walking, stationary bike, lifting weights, tai chi, situps, etc.  Do something different everyday.  After about 2 months it was a habit and i was on it.  And if i didnt lose weight i got pissed and worked out harder!  lol 

Back on the wagon myself and have lost 7 pounds since in 10 days!  you got this and you will feel much better i know i sure did.  And at your age you will lose it quickly, esp at first.  After a while it gets tougher to lose weight but you will feel better and want to do more too.  Lots of brisk walks!  I used to lift a dumbell at the office while on the phone, took a break and did a walk etc.  Always find time to do a little when you can.  And instead of looking at food as a treat look at it as you deserve to be in good shape!  

good luck - cheering for you! 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Rattler said:

Jdubs, would you be so kind as to expand a little on the reasoning for this?  Does it increase the metabolism and caloric burn rate or help with energy?  I may want to incorporate these things into my regimen.

The coconut oil (virgin or extra virgin), cinnamon and hot sauce all stimulate fat burning.  The caffeine in coffee increases heart rate which also leads to fat burning and alertness.  I drink coffee out of habit anyway, but see that most pre-workout products have caffeine as an ingredient.

The coconut oil would appear to have multiple benefits.  I used to add a teaspoon to my first cup of coffee in the morning.  To what degree this impacted my overall fat loss, I couldn't say for sure.  Anyway, this is just one of many articles about the benefits:  https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil

By the way, I dropped my body fat from the upper 20's to 7% in 6 months.  This wasn't a goal when I first started, but just happened as a result of being consistent.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

The coconut oil (virgin or extra virgin), cinnamon and hot sauce all stimulate fat burning.  The caffeine in coffee increases heart rate which also leads to fat burning and alertness.  I drink coffee out of habit anyway, but see that most pre-workout products have caffeine as an ingredient.

The coconut oil would appear to have multiple benefits.  I used to add a teaspoon to my first cup of coffee in the morning.  To what degree this impacted my overall fat loss, I couldn't say for sure.  Anyway, this is just one of many articles about the benefits:  https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil

By the way, I dropped my body fat from the upper 20's to 7% in 6 months.  This wasn't a goal when I first started, but just happened as a result of being consistent.  

7% is ripped.  Like not dieting for competition bodybuilder ripped .  Great job. 

• Like 2

Yeah, 7% is lean. It looks like this:

image.thumb.png.02ffddd83a0dba92dd49037e64aa5036.png

There's some good information and some just information. The biggest challenge is finding the right diet and program that fits your lifestyle and psychological profile. In other words, what program can you stick with longest?

The fat will come off from dietary choices. Exercise is great for the body, mind and soul, but this is mostly a calorie issue.

Screwups/setbacks happen. The minute that last french fry goes down you're back on the program. Not tomorrow. Right then.

Here's a little inspiration. Good luck.

You can do it. I dropped a bunch of weight about 4-5 years ago, cut out most of the sugars and started running everyday. I went from just about dying running around the block to doing 3 miles a day within just a few months time. I then started hitting the gym 3-4 times a week doing a mix of cardio and weights. At that point I started gaining weight, but losing fat, and got to a good place. Then I blew my knee out while I was out hunting a couple of years ago and have since fallen off the wagon. I need to get back to it this year, my knee is finally feeling up to it again.

The biggest thing is, dont do anything too drastic right off the bat, work your way into it. Smaller incremental changes are easier to stick with in the long run. At least thats how it worked for me, if it wasnt for the knee injury I would still be at it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, left field said:

^^ If that works. 

This is Martin Berkhan. At the time this pic was taken he was only eating at night. As I recall he ate a box of kids' cereal after his workout and ate a large dinner just before bed.

So, like everything in life ... it depends.

If that was my last name youd better believe id pronounce it "Beercan"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, left field said:

Yeah, 7% is lean. It looks like this:

image.thumb.png.02ffddd83a0dba92dd49037e64aa5036.png

There's some good information and some just information. The biggest challenge is finding the right diet and program that fits your lifestyle and psychological profile. In other words, what program can you stick with longest?

The fat will come off from dietary choices. Exercise is great for the body, mind and soul, but this is mostly a calorie issue.

Screwups/setbacks happen. The minute that last french fry goes down you're back on the program. Not tomorrow. Right then.

Here's a little inspiration. Good luck.

I wouldn't want to set up any unrealistic expectations for swamp or anyone else, but I was not as muscular as that pic you posted.  For me, I had leaned out considerably and had a noticeable 6 pack again.  My waist size dropped from 40" to 33" and my weight dropped from 198 lbs to 158.2 lbs in 6 months.  Weight training added muscle, but it didn't turn me into a beefcake like moog. :haha:

And I did this in my 40's.  There were a million of the usual excuses to quit.  But I didn't.  I set monthly goals and wrote down everything from goals to meals and nutrition info to workouts.  Over time it worked and I see no reason why others couldn't reach their own realistic goals without resorting to crash diets or other hardcore methods.  Figure out your reason "why" and then go see what's possible.  

• Like 2

Keeping track of everything is a good idea and hitting benchmarks is a great motivator. Most people have no idea how many calories they eat daily and if asked, greatly underestimate the total. It's shocking what we eat.

Of course, the real challenge comes after you've hit some goals and plateaued. That "long dark tea time of the soul" known as maintenance.