First one of the year

NY Region 3 Trapper

14 hours ago, osbourne said:

much trapping this year but I put out some DP’s

I have four out just for giggle and haven't had a hit yet. Any I do catch I will probably turn loose. More of a experiment than anything. Trying some trigger lure this year with not much success. Congrats...Nice looking coon.

10 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I have four out just for giggle and haven't had a hit yet. Any I do catch I will probably turn loose. More of a experiment than anything. Trying some trigger lure this year with not much success. Congrats...Nice looking coon.

marshmallows (little ones ) and fish oil I've heard

7 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

marshmallows (little ones ) and fish oil I've heard

3 minutes ago, RangerClay said:

Grape jelly too ;)

They both work but I am experimenting with a lure I have never used to see how it works.

So far not so good:taunt::taunt:. I didn't plan on getting to serious with coon anyway since they aren't worth much.

3 minutes ago, osbourne said:

I had five out for a couple of days. I use the marshmallows and fish oil for a trailing scent. I pulled them with last weekends rain. Hitting some beavers on Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

........  Oh and the critters too.  Low comedy at it's finest!

Taste good!?  Bleh!  No way you could convince me to eat one of the filthy things.  

I've mentioned it before - when we bought our current house in Westchester, there were about six families of them living on the hill behind us.  We counted 32 of them one night about dusk, sitting up there, looking like they owned the damn place.  The smell on that hillside was disgusting.  Rat-coon (as my then-4-year old called them) crap everywhere.  It was beyond putrid.  

I'll take the 5th on much of the subsequent history, but presently there is one small family left.  I have some "emigration" plans for them, hope Satan has a proper place reserved for them.  

Eat them?  I wouldn't feed them to rabid dog.  And I have no problem at all eating squirrel, or various other small game.  Just not rat-coons. 

I am ignorant on this topic. What do you mean by "dying on the board"? When you trap do you poison them? How does this work?

In very general terms:

Furbearer’s trapped in foothold traps are dispatched usually by a .22. Body gripping traps kill the Furbearer.

To properly process a Furbearer they are fleshed which is removing fat and sometimes membranes from the skin. Then they are dried on a board or wire. Once dry they can be sold to a fur buyer or tanned by a tannery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, osbourne said:

In very general terms:

Furbearer’s trapped in foothold traps are dispatched usually by a .22. Body gripping traps kill the Furbearer.

To properly process a Furbearer they are fleshed which is removing fat and sometimes membranes from the skin. Then they are dried on a board or wire. Once dry they can be sold to a fur buyer or tanned by a tannery.

Thank you!

I have only been here since mid-late last year, however i have learned more about sports on this board than all the crackhead degenerate loser/ amateurs i have hunted with the last 10 years combined. 

That being said, thank you for taking the time out of your evening to reply to my post!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...