European Mount Question

NY Region 3 Trapper

I’m giving a European Mount a try. I boiled the skull to remove the meat. That went good. Looking for suggestions on the next two steps.

1) To degrease the left over remnants can I use dish soap bringing it to a soft boil?

2) To whiten the skull. Any recommended bleaching product or method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Go to the beauty salon and tell them you want the stuff for stripping hair of its color ,i can't remember the name off hand but will run out to the garage and check . It's a white paste that you paint on and let sit over night ,it's really easy to keep off the antlers . The last step i do after that is to wash with oxy clean ,it help take any left over smell away. While mine are boiling i put 10 mule team borax in the water . 

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

i use a scoop of powder oxiclean. for whitening it seems like everyone uses 40 volume peroxide used from the beauty salons in so way shape or form. if you're doing a lot of skulls bring a solution of it and water (1:3) to a light boil and shut it down to let them soak. some paint it on and then let dry in sun. others let it soak over night in whatever concentration they prefer. you just don't want to start to etch the bone. if you are you're using too much heat or too high a concentration of peroxide. you have to feel it out. i've heard of people degreasing small game skulls in sealed jar of acetone but that's not really feasible with an antlered deer skull. 

20 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Go to the beauty salon and tell them you want the stuff for stripping hair of its color ,i can't remember the name off hand

Volume 40 Peroxide. I wait until mine are dry and paint them with a enamel   paint :

paint.jpg

• 6 months later...