Pretty Cool News From My Taxidermist

JALA RUT

I dropped off my Muzzleloader Buck Hide at the taxidermist to have it preserved and he told me that the DEC aged my Bow 10Pt Buck at 5.5 years old.  He also asked if I was planning to have him scored for P&Y or NYSBBC, saying that he'd guesstimate it's score to be about 140 - 145.  Trust me, I'm not a numbers guy and hate when other hunters bash someone for their harvest because of size, age, or whatever else.  I'm a firm believer that every legally taken deer is a trophy and if a hunter is happy with a doe, a spike, or a monster buck he or she should gladly take and be proud of the harvest.  So, with that said, I do choose to hold out for a mature buck, even though I don't particularly try to wait for a P&Y buck.  Although, I have always wanted to tag at least one P&Y buck in my time.  The closest that I've come so far, before this year's bow buck was a buck that scored 123 1/8, just missing the P&Y minimum score of 125.  So, I'm going to get this years buck scored when I get him back from the taxidermist. He'll probably be done at the taxidermist shop around February...and I'll update with a score when it's done and he'll hopefully be my first P&Y Buck!

• Like 15

41 minutes ago, rob-c said:

That’s great, congrats. Don’t forget the photo when you get him back .. 

Rob, I don't know why but for some reason all of a sudden I'm not able to add pictures to my posts. Use to add pics in my posts all the time from phone and computer but now I keep just getting msg that my pics are over size limit when they're not...unless I'm looking at them wrong.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, JALA RUT said:

Rob, I don't know why but for some reason all of a sudden I'm not able to add pictures to my posts. Use to add pics in my posts all the time from phone and computer but now I keep just getting msg that my pics are over size limit when they're not...unless I'm looking at them wrong.

i had that problem for a while too and i downloaded a reduce photo app to my phone and that worked 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Congrats.  So cool.  I wanted to a PY and NYSBBC buck too but once it happened, I never entered in either.  Knowing that he met the standard was good enough for me.  Great buck!

Yep same had measured never entered...

• Like 1

I don't even know what a P&Y buck is, I just wanted to say I appreciate your post.  My son (14) recently got his first buck, and although it was a modest 6 pointer, we were treated with kindness and respect at the taxidermist.  Means a lot to me. 

• Like 6

I don't even know what a P&Y buck is, I just wanted to say I appreciate your post.  My son (14) recently got his first buck, and although it was a modest 6 pointer, we were treated with kindness and respect at the taxidermist.  Means a lot to me. 
Taxidermists better treat you that way! Most taxi's in want wouldn't be in business if they were only doing p&y bucks. It's the the idiots that are generally jealous that will bash you. You say modest, but I guarantee it's a trophy to you and your son. The only book that matters is the one you write with every memory you make in the woods with your son !

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

For those (moog & G-man) that have killed P&Y and NYSBBC eligible deer, would you enter a B&C buck?
(maybe you have killed one?)
That's a tough one ! I just had this conversation with Moog the other day, if / when I kill a booner, I'm getting a full body mount. Not sure I'll have any money left for the book entry fee.

That's a tough one ! I just had this conversation with Moog the other day, if / when I kill a booner, I'm getting a full body mount. Not sure I'll have any money left for the book entry fee.

NY Booner only?? Or doess that full body mount include an outta state deer?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Awards or All-time? The difference is 10” right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Booner only?? Or doess that full body mount include an outta state deer?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

If 99.9% of Ny hunters started saving their cash for a Ny Booner they will have a good chunk of change when the clean their weapon for the last time. Pope and Ny books are very doable, many times over for some but that next step will be seen by very,very,very few.

• Like 4

If 99.9% of Ny hunters started saving their cash for a Ny Booner they will have a good chunk of change when the clean their weapon for the last time. Pope and Ny books are very doable, many times over for some but that next step will be seen by very,very,very few.

I'm looking to break the mold. I'm surprised your not already in that .01%!

I'm looking to break the mold. I'm surprised your not already in that .01%!

Wish ya the best luck possible. At 55 I prob won't see it but who knows but am happy with the numbers I have been able to add up over the years. I will say that the way things have turned with Ar in some areas and hunters letting them grow along with less hunters Ny hunters will have the best chances to do so here the next few years. Pa has smoked some big un's here the last few years and have blown some records apart. It's doable for sure but most just don't have what it takes to find a big deer and stick with it until the end but don't forget we all have a little luck on our side so the right place at the right time could come into play.

• Like 1

til reading this thread didnt even know a pope and young was 125 etc.  So went to their website - so its a club to register your deer and pay them money to join??  Not something i would be interested in but to each their own and interesting that there is so much talk about it, kinda cool esp if you dont normally get a big buck to say it was a benchmark one.   Its funny the first three comments on the page were all about how disfunctional it is.  lol - guess they are the same as everyone else in the world.  

Everyone asks me the score of my deer this year- its amazing how many people ask about it.  I didnt have it scored - i know a guy that does it for Pope and young or is certified or whatever, have shot 3D with him a couple of times and he has offered, so maybe one time i will do that just so i can answer when people ask. 

I did ask on here and most said between 120-130.  So i might have a pope and young too?  lol   I saw one this year that was a monster - maybe next season a Crocket and Tubbs!  DfAhWsxFkKHXLjD0EQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1920&bih=937#imgrc=FsMwfibS6ozr4M:Toitoi 80s hair miami vice don johnson GIF

Edited by Robhuntandfish

35 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

til reading this thread didnt even know a pope and young was 125 etc.  So went to their website - so its a club to register your deer and pay them money to join??  Not something i would be interested in but to each their own.   Its funny the first three comments on the page were all about how disfunctional it is.  lol - guess they are the same as everyone else in the world.  

Everyone asks me the score of my deer this year- its amazing how many people ask about it.  I didnt have it scored - i know a guy that does it for Pope and young or is certified or whatever, have shot 3D with him a couple of times and he has offered, so maybe one time i will do that just so i can answer when people ask. 

I did ask on here and most said between 120-130.  So i might have a pope and young too?  lol   I saw one this year that was a monster - maybe next season a Crocket and Tubbs!  DfAhWsxFkKHXLjD0EQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1920&bih=937#imgrc=FsMwfibS6ozr4M:Toitoi 80s hair miami vice don johnson GIF

125 net Rob.   No idea if I would enter a booner.   Thought I would enter the PY and then just didn't see the need.   Hope I have that dilemma at some point.  

Edited by moog5050