Pretty Cool News From My Taxidermist

JALA RUT

17 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

net? 

Yep- when scored as a typical any lack of symmetry between two sides is deducted from grosss.   Just means you could have two bucks with identical gross scores and only one be eligible for PY.   The buck I had scored was like 135 and change gross and 129 and change net.  

• Thanks 1

I've never been a measurements guy. I care more about how much they weigh after field dressing. With that said, I thought my buck from late muzzleloader might make B&C. He ended up grossing 154 3/4" and netted 150 1/2". I'm still in shock that I actually saw something that big let alone got a crack at it. The odds of me seeing something that big again on public land in NY are exceptionally low. He ended up field dressing at 196, and he tastes delicious :)

Taxidermist talked me into a floor pedestal mount, and I cannot wait to see what he looks like in late spring. 

• Like 3

Personally I hate the way they score, the only score I really pay attention to is gross. However many inches of bone that deer can grow should get counted in my opinion. Maybe it's because I've always liked the funky racks better? Nets are for fish!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 5

The deer in my avatar is the biggest deer I have ever killed. The thought of having it scored never crossed my mind. Doesn't matter at all to me, I was super proud of it and it is displayed proudly on the wall of my family room along with the first 8 pt I ever shot. I have no idea if it scores 100" or 150", nor do I really care. I certainly wouldn't pay money just to have it on some list somewhere. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Only time I score any deer is to prove pry wrong. A measuring tape and scales can be real heartbreaker to some. Especially when their 200lb 140” buck is really 145lb and 110”s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that's the point.  The score or weight or number of points should not change how one feels about their successful hunt.

• Like 2

And that's the point.  The score or weight or number of points should not change how one feels about their successful hunt.
Exactly. I'd bet there's a long list of guys that got a giant, had it scored, got the paperwork and decided that having it hang in the living room was good enough. I'm on that list. Yes, I wanted to know the inches, but sharing the pics and story with family and friends - including you guys is humbling enough. Would some stranger care about my score ? Would I care what some stranger thinks of my score ? The story that goes behind all of our best bucks always trump's the inches.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just now, TreeGuy said:

Exactly. I'd bet there's a long list of guys that got a giant, had it scored, got the paperwork and decided that having it hang in the living room was good enough. I'm on that list. Yes, I wanted to know the inches, but sharing the pics and story with family and friends - including you guys is humbling enough. Would some stranger care about my score ? Would I care what some stranger thinks of my score ? The story that goes behind all of our best bucks always trump's the inches.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I can honestly say that one of my most proud personal moments hunting was a doe harvest.  Vivid memories of that one.  And it had a score of 0!

• Like 1

I agree but there’s no reason to make up numbers and lie either.

I’ve never had one scored and never will, I just laugh at what guys think their bucks score.

5 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I agree but there’s no reason to make up numbers and lie either.

I’ve never had one scored and never will, I just laugh at what guys think their bucks score.

It ain't all that hard to get close if you want.  Punch the numbers in to the BC website.  They have a calculator and tell you where to measure.  But yes, many over estimate.

Couldn't agree more that the thrill and trophy of the hunt or harvest lays in the eyes of the hunter and memories created/shared with friends and family.  The number of antler inches isn't what makes the deer or any game animal the trophy but the totality of the hunt from preseason prep and scouting, time I the woods, hunting, friends and family, the celebratory beers with friends after during butchering, and so much more.  The thrill is in everything about the hunt as a whole.  As I said in my original post, every legal harvest is a trophy regardless of size...it's what's in the hunter's heart when he decides to pass on a certain animal or to as we love to say, send it.  Over the years I have taken my fair share of does, some younger, smaller bucks, and I have taken some more mature bucks.  Each and every one is a trophy to me and I guarantee that I was proud, thrilled, and smiling from ear to ear with each harvest regardless of the number of inches it was or wasn't sporting on its head.  So, I don't feel a score of inches is needed to make it or any deer a trophy.  For me it's just attaining a goal that I set for myself in my younger years...I have just always wanted to tag a P&Y.  I will have him scored and the jury is still out on whether or not I'll actually submit the paperwork to P&Y if he in fact meets the minimum score.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JALA RUT said:

Couldn't agree more that the thrill and trophy of the hunt or harvest lays in the eyes of the hunter and memories created/shared with friends and family.  The number of antler inches isn't what makes the deer or any game animal the trophy but the totality of the hunt from preseason prep and scouting, time I the woods, hunting, friends and family, the celebratory beers with friends after during butchering, and so much more.  The thrill is in everything about the hunt as a whole.  As I said in my original post, every legal harvest is a trophy regardless of size...it's what's in the hunter's heart when he decides to pass on a certain animal or to as we love to say, send it.  Over the years I have taken my fair share of does, some younger, smaller bucks, and I have taken some more mature bucks.  Each and every one is a trophy to me and I guarantee that I was proud, thrilled, and smiling from ear to ear with each harvest regardless of the number of inches it was or wasn't sporting on its head.  So, I don't feel a score of inches is needed to make it or any deer a trophy.  For me it's just attaining a goal that I set for myself in my younger years...I have just always wanted to tag a P&Y.  I will have him scored and the jury is still out on whether or not I'll actually submit the paperwork to P&Y if he in fact meets the minimum score.

Nothing wrong with that Jala and entering him if you choose.  Hope you didn't take (at least my) comments otherwise.  I did the same thing.  Congrats on a bruiser.

Edited by moog5050

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Nothing wrong with that Jala and entering him if you choose.  Hope you didn't take (at least my) comments otherwise.  I did the same thing.  Congrats on a bruiser.

No, not at all...I didn't take any comments from anyone as negative.

not much of a point other than neat mementos to pass on. i like their tape measure.  i can think of lots of bucks out this way that were 4.5 or 5.5 that didn't come close to booner inches or 200lbs dressed.  not many reaching full maturity but still it's a very unrealistic goal for some places where whitetails roam.

on another note 10.5 yrs old is crazy old for a buck. i'm in no position to say it wasn't that old. it could be. i really don't trust the aging skills of some DEC folks though, especially the ones that stick their finger in the mouth and not even look.

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

on another note 10.5 yrs old is crazy old for a buck. i'm in no position to say it wasn't that old. it could be. i really don't trust the aging skills of some DEC folks though, especially the ones that stick their finger in the mouth and not even look.

Db, DEC didn't age him at 10.5 yrs old. I said he's a 10Point and the DEC aged him at 5.5 yrs old.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Dont enter it it will make my raise in ranking in the worst deer hunting state... I like being number 1.. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/8/2019 at 3:11 PM, JALA RUT said:

I dropped off my Muzzleloader Buck Hide at the taxidermist to have it preserved and he told me that the DEC aged my Bow 10Pt Buck at 5.5 years old.  He also asked if I was planning to have him scored for P&Y or NYSBBC, saying that he'd guesstimate it's score to be about 140 - 145.  Trust me, I'm not a numbers guy and hate when other hunters bash someone for their harvest because of size, age, or whatever else.  I'm a firm believer that every legally taken deer is a trophy and if a hunter is happy with a doe, a spike, or a monster buck he or she should gladly take and be proud of the harvest.  So, with that said, I do choose to hold out for a mature buck, even though I don't particularly try to wait for a P&Y buck.  Although, I have always wanted to tag at least one P&Y buck in my time.  The closest that I've come so far, before this year's bow buck was a buck that scored 123 1/8, just missing the P&Y minimum score of 125.  So, I'm going to get this years buck scored when I get him back from the taxidermist. He'll probably be done at the taxidermist shop around February...and I'll update with a score when it's done and he'll hopefully be my first P&Y Buck!

Update: Got my buck scored lastnight and he made P&Y as a Typical Bow 10Pt, Gross Score 144-0; Net Score after deductions 136-5/8.

• Like 13