45 acp or 9mm for bear

Hunter007

16 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Hypothetical question, you only have 2 guns one is 45 acp and the other is a 9mm 

And you are hiking in bear country which one do you bring?

A 9 mm will kill me just as easy as a 45 will , as  the Bear is munching on my head because I pissed him off by shooting him with anything but a magnum cartridge.. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

Long story short. I hit a doe with my pickup. The doe had a broken pelvis and could not stand. Sheriff's deputy finally arrived and decided to dispatch the doe. While standing directly over the doe's head he took aim from about 10 inches away and fired his 9mm at the top of the deer's head. He did not miss. Doe's head dropped momentarily and then she raised it right back up and looked around! Deputy was pretty pissed that he had to use a second round, which killed the doe instantly.

Anyone that believes that a 9mm is serious bear medicine is dreaming.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

Long story short. I hit a doe with my pickup. The doe had a broken pelvis and could not stand. Sheriff's deputy finally arrived and decided to dispatch the doe. While standing directly over the doe's head he took aim from about 10 inches away and fired his 9mm at the top of the deer's head. He did not miss. Doe's head dropped momentarily and then she raised it right back up and looked around! Deputy was pretty pissed that he had to use a second round, which killed the doe instantly.

Don't think anyone is saying a 9mm is "serious" bear medicine.  But, if its all I had with me, I'd use it if I had too.

Don't think a 9mm will do anything but piss off a big bear.  45 is a bit better but still low on power.  I have to agree that if you really wanted to be protected I would go with a Mag like Rob-C stated also with the proper charge and round for that game.  

12 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

would he be more pissed if he had a 45, flinched, and missed? lol i'd want lots of rounds and something i can put a bullet were it's going if that's a 45 even better.

nether will drop it in its tracks stone dead without a hit to central nervous system especially if it's coming at you. if you're using that type of pistol cartridge then anything other than something nonexpanding is designed shed energy and penetrate within the standard distance of 15". grizz had it figured out. 45acp with fmj or something that doesn't expand easily.

What do you think the first shot cracked the skull for the 2nd one to get in?

Obviously the first shot “missed” its mark, a brain is a very small target even at 10” if you don’t know where to aim, especially from the front. I’ve seen people have to shoot cows and calves multiple shots with rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one you are most proficient with. The one you are most likely to have immediately and instantly available and able to put into action without hesitation. An 800 Magnum Express is useless if you miss. Learning,Knowing and planning for common sense hiking/ camping bear precautions are probably  far more important than worrying about just which handgun to bring.  

Pretty sure if you meet up with a blacky in the woods you'll have time to let a round fly and that will be enough to make him find something better to do. That said a 9 or 45 would be fine. But if you got one who just somehow pops up on you and charges, well you might be in for a bad day. 44 mag is alittle more practical for a situation like that

1 hour ago, sits in trees said:

Pretty sure if you meet up with a blacky in the woods you'll have time to let a round fly and that will be enough to make him find something better to do. That said a 9 or 45 would be fine. But if you got one who just somehow pops up on you and charges, well you might be in for a bad day. 44 mag is alittle more practical for a situation like that

One shot from either not enough more then likely empty out the mag of all 10 rounds I think you got  good chance of not being dead before the bear with either but I think the 45 with the right ammo would be a little more effective. 

2 hours ago, Storm914 said:

One shot from either not enough more then likely empty out the mag of all 10 rounds I think you got  good chance of not being dead before the bear with either but I think the 45 with the right ammo would be a little more effective. 

A bear charging you is going to be something that happens real fast. You'll be under pressure and panicked. You might not even land a single round into a vital before the bear is on you. Of course alot of this depends on the bears attitude and size. With a magnum round any chance of a hit you make will be an improvement. 9s and 45s are great man stoppers in most situations but are just pea shooters for a large bear.