Born On A mountain Top In Tennessee

airedale

Born on a mountain top in Tennessee,  greenest state in the land of the free, raised in the woods so’s he knew every tree, killed him a Bar when he was only three. Davy, Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier.”

You have to be pretty old to remember those words but I remember them like it was yesterday, Walt Disney’s TV “Davy Crockett” on the corny side by today’s standards the series was a big time craze for us wide eyed kids in the mid 1950s. Myself and all my friends wanted a Coonskin cap and a rifle like “Old Betsy”.

Finally got me one some sixty something years later, a Traditions “Crockett” Squirrel Rifle 32 cal. While not an exact replica being a cap lock and only 32 cal it is close enough for me. Been wanting one for a long time so when I saw that Midway put them on sale I said to myself it is now or never so I pulled the trigger.

The folks that have these Squirrel rifles have nothing but good to say about them., they are accurate, economical and fun. Now to make things right I surely have to kill a Squirrel with this rifle, with these old eyes it might take some doing.

2019-01-09_143836.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 12

22 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Does NY now require this rifle to be shipped to an FFL from Midway?

As of now you can still buy black powder muzzleloaders and get them shipped without messing around with FFLs. You can not buy something like a Thompson Center Encore muzzleloader without going through an FFL because of it's barrel interchanging design allows a regular smokeless powder cartridge barrel to be used.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the club......

The high chancellor got me more into muzzleloading when the safe act popped out.   Everything can be ordered online.  Powder, bulleys, guns, parts.

Got a 54 Cal lyman gpr flintlock, 2 hand built 45s, one caplock, and one flintlock built by me, a 64 Cal Thompson center pa rifle, and building a 54 Cal early reading flintlock with huge D profile barrel.  I may go caplock, not at the point where I need to start cutting the lock into the stock.

Been picking up the small caliber ammo and accessories to fire the Squirrel rifle so I am now pretty well set to test her out. Changed the rear sight to one that is adjustable so I will not have to be filing the front sight. Hopefully can get a decent day to touch her off.

Al

2019-01-10_154553.png

2019-01-19_074915.png

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Still acquiring components for the Squirrel Rifle, found some 32 cal Maxi Balls that come in at 110 grs, because of the medium twist in this rifle's barrel I think there is a good chance these will shoot half way decent and add quite a bit more power and range for varmints like Fox and Chucks.

Use these Maxi Balls in my 45 cal guns and have always lubed with TC "Bore Butter" which works as it should. Going to do a little experiment tumble lubing this batch of bullets with liquid Alox. This stuff is not as messy, it is very similar to the lube used on 22 rimfire bullets.  I did up 250 32s and 20 45s to try, takes about 24 hrs to dry. If they do lead it will be simple enough to relube them with Bore Butter.

Al

2019-02-22_084506.png

2019-02-22_084148.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rachunter I did a little puttering on the black powder possible bag and the powder horn you gave me, drilled out the powder horn and put in a brass stopper and put a snap on the possible bag closure and had that old Thompson Center patch laying around and it fit the front flap about perfect so I had the wife sew it on, the bag will be put to good use, it is all set up carrying loading components for the 32 cal Crockett, what do you think? 

And again thanks a lot!

Al

2019-03-08_154825.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
Rachunter I did a little puttering on the black powder possible bag and the powder horn you gave me, drilled out the powder horn and put in a brass stopper and put a snap on the possible bag closure and had that old Thompson Center patch laying around and it fit the front flap about perfect so I had the wife sew it on, the bag will be put to good use, it is all set up carrying loading components for the 32 cal Crockett, what do you think? 
And again thanks a lot!
Al
2019-03-08_154825.thumb.png.d4742eea69ca862f6c3b261b4197f3f8.png

Looks great AL glad you could put them to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I hav

28 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

I have to wonder when all was said and done  did you get any squirrels  with it .

I have not killed a Squirrel with it yet, been laid up with Lyme disease all hunting season and have just started to hit the woods. I hope to give Squirrels a shot with the Crockett before the snows come.

Al