Lever action 45 colt or 9mm or 45acp carbine for bear ?

Hunter007

The 45 Colt handloaded would be the one out of the choices listed. Personally I would buy a lever action carbine (which I actually have done) or maybe find a Ruger auto loader chambered 44 mag especially when it comes to the much better variety of available ammo suited for bigger game.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I have loaded a lot for 45acp because I really want to kill a deer with my marlin camp carbine. The only load I have came up with is a 200gn Barnes loaded to just over 1150fps and that is loaded hot!
My 45colt Carbines will push that bullet over 1800fps. They’re literally not comparable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sits in trees said:

9mm for bear is insane if just not plain stupid. Don't know about you but when I shoot something I want it to die. 

You are bringing it only for last ditch effort  and want something light and compact with better proformance then handgun .

Let's say a emergency get out of Dodge in a hurry or something like a  end of the world type scenario.

And that's  all you got to choose from.

Edited by Storm914

3 hours ago, sits in trees said:

9mm for bear is insane if just not plain stupid. Don't know about you but when I shoot something I want it to die. 

This. Most deer rifles with a medium to heavy load will work just fine.  I have bears on my property and for that reason I wont hunt with ammo below 139 grain (7mm .08), just in case I do run into one I will be able to dispatch it. As a general rule of thumb, .30 / 7mm and up for bear.

6 hours ago, Storm914 said:

You are bringing it only for last ditch effort  and want something light and compact with better proformance then handgun .

Let's say a emergency get out of Dodge in a hurry or something like a  end of the world type scenario.

And that's  all you got to choose from.

Yes for a last ditch effort like it's you or the bear. In that case I would prefer something that is going to kill what's trying to kill me. A 9mm handgun is something I would use to scare off a bear who seemed too interested in me being in his woods, which in most cases would be sufficient. But if I were in any way concerned about any large animal, like a bear actually attacking me I'm sure as hell going in with more than a 9mm or .45acp. I go by you bring the right tools for the job. I wanna get out to my spring turkey blind in the dark while they're still roosting I carry my 9mm just to scare off a bear if he becomes too nosey. Heck you can scare off any NY black bear with just a yell a stomp of your feet. A 9mm shot at his feet will no doubt make him run like hell.

Yes for a last ditch effort like it's you or the bear. In that case I would prefer something that is going to kill what's trying to kill me. A 9mm handgun is something I would use to scare off a bear who seemed too interested in me being in his woods, which in most cases would be sufficient. But if I were in any way concerned about any large animal, like a bear actually attacking me I'm sure as hell going in with more than a 9mm or .45acp. I go by you bring the right tools for the job. I wanna get out to my spring turkey blind in the dark while they're still roosting I carry my 9mm just to scare off a bear if he becomes too nosey. Heck you can scare off any NY black bear with just a yell a stomp of your feet. A 9mm shot at his feet will no doubt make him run like hell.

Come on you mean to tell me that 3 or 4 good hits if not 7 of 9mm isn’t going to bring down a bear and quick of course it is.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Just another STUPID question but this time if you only have  these  rifles  to take with you  walking in bear country for protection  which one would you take,  lever action  in 45 colt, a  9mm carbine semi automatic or a 45 acp  semi automatic carbine? 

I fixed it for you...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've never felt the need to carry any gun for bear protection in NY, more of a chance tripping over a stump and getting hurt.....although neither is ideal a few well placed shots from either would more then likely stop them. If anyone has ever seen a 9mm in action, it's far from impressive as far as stopping power.

Edited by jjb4900

18 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Come on you mean to tell me that 3 or 4 good hits if not 7 of 9mm isn’t going to bring down a bear and quick of course it is.

I just posted about my harvest of a bear a week ago a couple years ago i shot a 200 pound bear with my raging bull at 15 yards and and after following it through laural for a half hour I put a total of 5 240 grain bullets right behind shoulder I will never use a handgun on a bear again I would rather use an arrow 

6 minutes ago, greensider said:

I just posted about my harvest of a bear a week ago a couple years ago i shot a 200 pound bear with my raging bull at 15 yards and and after following it through laural for a half hour I put a total of 5 240 grain bullets right behind shoulder I will never use a handgun on a bear again I would rather use an arrow 

What did your first shot hit inside and what did the follow ups hit?

And what kind of 240 gr bullets? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

I've never felt the need to carry any gun for bear protection in NY, more of a chance tripping over a stump and getting hurt.....although neither is ideal a few well placed shots from either would more then likely stop them. If anyone has ever seen a 9mm in action, it's far from impressive as far as stopping power.

Did not say what state or what type of bear  actually .

25 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

What did your first shot hit inside and what did the follow ups hit?

And what kind of 240 gr bullets? 

Honestly was to exited to examine lungs and heart when I field dressed id but all shots were right at point of front leg and all within a fist sized area bullets were magteck 240 grain solid points I have used them on deer as well 

23 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Opinion on which rifle  you would bring .

Or you would bring none and just take your chances. 

Or if you don't have one don't  bust balls . 

Personally I don't own a lever action and have no interest in them.  If you don't (and I'd guess you don't) own a suitable rifle why not a 12ga pump gun (surely you have one of them) stuffed with slugs?  Maybe put a few #6 lead shot loads in your pocket in case your lost in the sauce in the 'Dacks somewhere and need to pot a rabbit, squirrel etc to survive a few nights.  Make sure you have a Jetboil or even and old Svea 123 (old school) to cook up your bounty. 

How about a Space Blanket?  Can't head out without one of them........

What's your choice in chamberings?

What lever action?

Edited by Lawdwaz

1 hour ago, chefhunter86 said:

That is what I would  think  not sure I would want to be the first one to test that theory  :)

• Like 1