advice for a NY bear hunt

Robhuntandfish

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 11:34 AM, wolc123 said:

My father in-law lives near the Lewis/St Lawrence county line (WMU 6C).  He has been after me to shoot him a bear, so that he can make a rug, since they began building their retirement lake-house up there 6 years ago.   He does not hunt or fish himself, but wants to decorate their place with native species.  I managed to kill a nice Adirondack 8-point buck up there, and had a shoulder mount made for him in 2014.  It looks kind of lonely up there all by itself on that wall.  He still complains on occasion about my release of a 22" smallmouth bass, back into the lake, a few years ago. 

On the year they bought the land, his relator friend (who sold it to them) got an arrow into a big bear up on the mountain behind their house, but did not recover it.  I have yet to see one alive during the last 6 early ML seasons.   I did see a big dead one in the skinning shack at Nolt's (in Lowville) when I dropped a doe off there on an 80 degree, early-October day in 2016.

Reading about the bear's attraction to apples on this thread gives me an idea how to step up my game a little this year.  I have had good luck with deer while sipping on hot cider from a thermos.  I usually reserve that tactic for cold weather, but nothing is stopping me from bringing a thermos of cider along on an early, warm-weather bear hunt.   Baiting may not be legal, but drinking a warm beverage is.   

A nice thing about WMU 6C, during the (3) day early crossbow, followed by the (7) day early ML/crossbow season, is that antlerless deer are legal to kill.   There is a pretty good population of them up there (I see about six per every one with antlers).  They make nice "targets of opportunity", when you are out after bear.  There is enough ag in the area, to make their meat taste good, which would likely apply to bears also.   

More often than not, those 10 days also include the peak fall foliage.  You would be hard pressed to find better scenery on the face of the earth than you can find up there at that time.  Good deer hunting, fishing and great scenery are worth the price of admission even if no bears show up.   Adding my mother in law's spectacular cooking to all of that makes it tough to keep me out of there at that time.   Good luck on your quest.

Apple cider in a misting bottle works all season for deer and if you get thirsty just squirt yourself a drink. Prolly.work for bear if they are around as well

14 hours ago, G-Man said:

Apple cider in a misting bottle works all season for deer and if you get thirsty just squirt yourself a drink. Prolly.work for bear if they are around as well

I never tried a misting bottle, but when it comes to deer, I have seen hot cider from a thermos giveth and I have also seen it taketh away.   Last archery season it cost me what would have been my highest-scoring antlered buck.  He snuck in from directly down wind, to about 15 yards from my stand.  I was in an open, hang-on stand - only 7 feet up (In my old age, I have grown afraid of heights).  When I heard a twig snap behind me, I turned to see him looking directly at me as I was screwing the shiny chrome cup onto the top of my cider thermos.  It was a blustery cold day, an I had just finished drinking a cup.   While I was unable to get of  shot with my crossbow, the close encounter allowed me to fully access the head-gear that he carried.        

I managed to kill him a week later, on opening day of gun season.  The two shots that brought him down also occurred right after I finished a cup of hot cider from the same thermos.  They also came from the same stand from the same height, but I had moved it to different tree.   He was about a hundred yards away this time, so cover was not an issue.  At 182 pounds, he turned out to be the heaviest field-dressed buck that I ever put on a scale.  No doubt he would have been considerably heavier, had I killed him on our previous encounter.  He had obviously been in a scrap or two, over the last week of the rut, shedding a few pounds as well as a couple of antler points.  At least that part saved me the taxidermy expense.

The next time I go for a drink of hot cider, without adequate concealment, I will look all around first.   Most of my stands and blinds have three foot wall/shooting rests all the way around and getting busted taking a drink is not a concern from them.   Although I have never encountered one while hunting, I doubt bears are quite as sensitive to movement as deer are.   

deertongueshotchallenge.jpg

5 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I never tried a misting bottle, but when it comes to deer, I have seen hot cider from a thermos giveth and I have also seen it taketh away.   Last archery season it cost me what would have been my highest-scoring antlered buck.  He snuck in from directly down wind, to about 15 yards from my stand.  I was in an open, hang-on stand - only 7 feet up (In my old age, I have grown afraid of heights).  When I heard a twig snap behind me, I turned to see him looking directly at me as I was screwing the shiny chrome cup onto the top of my cider thermos.  It was a blustery cold day, an I had just finished drinking a cup.   While I was unable to get of  shot with my crossbow, the close encounter allowed me to fully access the head-gear that he carried.        

I managed to kill him a week later, on opening day of gun season.  The two shots that brought him down also occurred right after I finished a cup of hot cider from the same thermos.  They also came from the same stand from the same height, but I had moved it to different tree.   He was about a hundred yards away this time, so cover was not an issue.  At 182 pounds, he turned out to be the heaviest field-dressed buck that I ever put on a scale.  No doubt he would have been considerably heavier, had I killed him on our previous encounter.  He had obviously been in a scrap or two, over the last week of the rut, shedding a few pounds as well as a couple of antler points.  At least that part saved me the taxidermy expense.

The next time I go for a drink of hot cider, without adequate concealment, I will look all around first.   Most of my stands and blinds have three foot wall/shooting rests all the way around and getting busted taking a drink is not a concern from them.   Although I have never encountered one while hunting, I doubt bears are quite as sensitive to movement as deer are.   

deertongueshotchallenge.jpg

Bear are very sensitive to movement and smell same as a deer. Saw a video in the 80s where they used cider in spray bottle on way into the stand and while in it. Tried it it works well deer come in on a string nose in the air. I imagine hot cider in the air has same effect. But spray (atomizer) works with cold as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:08 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

been considering trying to plan a bear hunt this year

Not New York but I came across this recent article from PA :

Pennsylvania Game Commission officials were hoping that the 2018 harvest was going to break the 4,000-bear barrier for a third time in state history.

With a bear population estimated at 20,000 and a solid start to the November firearms season, the conditions looked promising. However, Game Commission officials said unfavorable weather conditions dashed the hopes of a 4,000-plus-bear harvest.

The 2018 bear harvest came in at 3,153 bears, 11th-best all-time, but also the lowest bear harvest in the past 11 years.

“I thought Pennsylvania was capable of producing a 4,000-bear harvest the past two years,” said Mark Ternent, Game Commission bear biologist, in a news release. “But we’ve had some bad breaks with weather events during our bear seasons the past two years.

“With better hunting conditions, I do believe hunters would have taken another 1,000 bears in each of the past two seasons,” he said.

Some big bears taken: The largest bear harvested in 2018 weighed an estimated 780 pounds. It was taken with a rifle in Howe Township, Forest County, on the second day of the general bear season by Michael J. Rubeo, of Mercer.

A day later, a 708-pound male was taken by Timothy J. Weaver, of Dallas, Pa., with a rifle in Harvey’s Lake Borough, Luzerne County.

Tioga County finished with 166 bears to take the top county bear harvest. It was followed by Lycoming County with 159. Other top counties for bear harvests in 2018 were: Clinton, 158; Huntingdon, 142; Potter, 109; Luzerne, 105; Pike, 104; and Monroe, 103.

https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/sports/outdoors/2019/02/09/pa-bear-harvest-lowest-11-years-but-includes-4-york-county-bears/2822521002/

• Like 1

The northern zone has many opportunities on public land with some early scouting. They likely seek good food sources in early fall, I've found old orchards and choke cherry trees the main sources. Talk to some locals to see where they observe activity or have activity.WGI_0155.thumb.JPG.a35a53620fa7d1a4d6b5fa59bd611756.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2019 at 10:31 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

Can't imagine seeing a 700 pound bear.  My hunting buddy would never hunt again, he would be gone. Lol.  Gonna give it a try early season in sept in the dack foothills for a day or two , but hoping for a 250 pound.  Or even just to see one. 

My buddy was sitting in his truck in E-ville waiting to walk into the woods when a bear walked right across his headlights. He drove all the way back to North Tonawanda lol. We busted his chops for...well we still do years later! We had strangers tweeting at him "Went to the beach, saw a seagull, got the hell out of there!" " Went to the grocery store, saw a shopping cart, got the hell out of there!" and on and on for weeks lmao

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/24/2019 at 2:43 PM, G-Man said:

Bear are very sensitive to movement and smell same as a deer. Saw a video in the 80s where they used cider in spray bottle on way into the stand and while in it. Tried it it works well deer come in on a string nose in the air. I imagine hot cider in the air has same effect. But spray (atomizer) works with cold as well.

Not 100% sure, but I think honey and syrup burns are legal in NY.

5 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Just need to make sure the honey or syrup is 1.5 ounces or less. i imagine if you had honey in your pack pack and did a burn you could do a burn again later since the 1.5 ounces would be gone then. 

Q: Can I use bait to hunt bears?
A: No. You may only use up to 1.5 fluid ounces of a liquid scent or lure.

Yeah, I thought that's how it was a few years back, but was uncertain if that was the current regulation. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Just need to make sure the honey or syrup is 1.5 ounces or less. i imagine if you had honey in your pack pack and did a burn you could do a burn again later since the 1.5 ounces would be gone then. 

That sounds somewhat restrictive.  I think I will stick with my 32 oz thermos of hot apple cider.   

35 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

They sure do. Stick a few anchovies in there and the smell really gets goin!
c7ea2e7ee5eb847db50708b3f843d806.jpg

that spot looks exactly like a spot i used to trout fish on the Independance river !   

so for lunch i could take two cans of sardines and warm them up and maybe a bear will join me!  

On 5/15/2019 at 3:16 PM, eaglemountainman said:

Not 100% sure, but I think honey and syrup burns are legal in NY.

On 5/15/2019 at 3:34 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

100% they are legal

On 5/15/2019 at 3:40 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

the 1.5 is sort of the catch. I have never even had a bear come into my range and I've only been half assing it for 2 seasons, but my homemade honeypot was pretty sweet. 1.5 oz is not a lot btw. Start adding things like apple slices and anchovies and idk. 

Also because it's technically edible when not burning and not a lure like deer pee, i think it's a gray area. Not one that anybody should be worried about, but I don't even think the above quoted Q&A is completely black and white.

again, i have one. so that's my stance on it. I also added a packet of strawberry or cherry jello mix. That sugar mixed with the honey really sets it off.

Edited by Belo

1 minute ago, Belo said:

the 1.5 is sort of the catch. I have never even had a bear come into my range and I've only been half assing it for 2 seasons, but my homemade honeypot was pretty sweet. 1.5 oz is not a lot btw.

Also because it's technically edible when not burning and not a lure like deer pee, i think it's a gray area. Not one that anybody should be worried about, but I don't even thing the above quoted Q&A is completely black and white.

again, i have one. so that's my stance on it. 

1.5 ounces is plenty when burning it. 

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

depends on how long you want it to burn I guess, but you're right.

good point. The ones i have seen and done were not burning continually. 1.5 ounces in a soup can and hung from a wire. propane torch on the can bottom until it froths, smokes, and burns to a black crust in the can. That plume travel path and everything it touches will have the residue smell on in.