2019 The Year of the Longbow

moog5050

My recurves are going to be mad but I decided this year I will be hunting with a longbow.  Picked up my first this week and am already having a blast shooting it.  Quiet as all get out.  Kind of wondering why I never tried one before.  I know there are some other single string hunters.  Any longbow shooters here? 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 7

Just now, NYBowhunter said:

What are the differences between the 2, any advantage of shooting one over the other? 

Longbows are usually longer and more D shaped when strung meaning the string does not sit against the limb at rest.  For that reason, longbows are quieter generally.  Longbows are usually not cut past center on the shelf so they need a weaker arrow (more difficult to tune well) and usually are a bit slower too.  Its mostly preference but most people seem to gravitate towards recurves under the idea that they are shorter, quicker, easier to tune to an array of arrows and more forgiving for hunting.  Recurves are also usually heavier and have little handshock whereas longbows often have some handshock on release. 

I seemed to find what may be the perfect longbow for me as it has a locator grip more like a recurve but longbow limbs.  Cut close enough to center to be easy to tune and short enough to shoot in my basement range.  Yet it feels and shoots great and is whisper quiet.  I am really surprised that I like it this much.

3 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Moog , you need to get together with Dinorocks.  Primitive bow is your next venture. 

Someday killing one with a selfbow would be awesome.  I don't quite have the energy to make my own bow yet, but it would be cool!

17 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Longbows are usually longer and more D shaped when strung meaning the string does not sit against the limb at rest.  For that reason, longbows are quieter generally.  Longbows are usually not cut past center on the shelf so they need a weaker arrow (more difficult to tune well) and usually are a bit slower too.  Its mostly preference but most people seem to gravitate towards recurves under the idea that they are shorter, quicker, easier to tune to an array of arrows and more forgiving for hunting.  Recurves are also usually heavier and have little handshock whereas longbows often have some handshock on release. 

I seemed to find what may be the perfect longbow for me as it has a locator grip more like a recurve but longbow limbs.  Cut close enough to center to be easy to tune and short enough to shoot in my basement range.  Yet it feels and shoots great and is whisper quiet.  I am really surprised that I like it this much.

Great info. Thx

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Moog - i know nothing about traditional but if you haven’t checked out Bowsite’s leatherwall forum, you should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought this bow from an ad on leatherwall.  Then I learned it was owned by the guy in the pic whom I am friends with.  Small trad world.

• Like 1

I'm sure you'll enjoy the heck out of the new bow, Brian.  Who makes it and what's the poundage at your DL?

I enjoyed my time with longbows but didn't hunt but a couple seasons with them.  Only killed one doe with mine.  Rothhaar Snuffer broadheads tipped my cedar shafts..........sweet!!

• Like 1

Just now, Lawdwaz said:

I'm sure you'll enjoy the heck out of the new bow, Brian.  Who makes it and what's the poundage at your DL?

I enjoyed my time with longbows but didn't hunt but a couple seasons with them.  Only killed one doe with mine.  Rothhaar Snuffer broadheads tipped my cedar shafts..........sweet!!

It’s a Schafer Silvertip.   About 54-55lbs at my DL.   So far I am commiting blasphemy by shooting carbon arrows.  Lol.   But they seem to land wherever I point.   Just have to be careful to keep the limb tip between joists when I shoot this one.  

4D7D8306-6504-44D3-A1F5-895044AE0910.jpeg

A9F85931-9B43-44D4-AC6A-6DCA22F913E0.jpeg

41E14AE9-2894-43BC-87E9-315CE21AA04D.jpeg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Wow, never saw a longbow like that.  Recurve like handle huh?  Interesting.......

I shot the OTHER (LOL) style LB, that looks more forgiving.

Yep.  That’s what made me jump.   I don’t like the flat grip of many longbows.  A hybrid like this I can use the sane repeatable grip.  

Called hybrids and pretty common now.  

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

I bought this bow from an ad on leatherwall.  Then I learned it was owned by the guy in the pic whom I am friends with.  Small trad world.

Now we’re talking! Next up will be a coastal brown bear for you!

17 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Yep.  That’s what made me jump.   I don’t like the flat grip of many longbows.  A hybrid like this I can use the sane repeatable grip.  

Called hybrids and pretty common now.  

saulk trail that i've mentioned before makes one called the highline. they also have a kenu that's under 60". they all seem to look nice when they post pictures. i was always told it was easier to shoot a recurve more accurately than a longbow. may have something to do with what you said about forgiveness and ability to tune? idk

12 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Good luck buddy, I can only hope for one year when the shoulders will hold up to a full year of practice, if I can kill a turkey and a buck with a long bow I’ll probably hang it up and only crossbow hunt the rest of my life.

i've been back and forth on getting a crossbow or going the other way using a recurve i already have that i haven't given a fair enough shot. i'm so torn just had to laugh at this, as i might well do the same thing without even without the physical issues.

17 hours ago, moog5050 said:

It’s a Schafer Silvertip.   About 54-55lbs at my DL.   So far I am commiting blasphemy by shooting carbon arrows.  Lol.   But they seem to land wherever I point.   Just have to be careful to keep the limb tip between joists when I shoot this one.  

4D7D8306-6504-44D3-A1F5-895044AE0910.jpeg

A9F85931-9B43-44D4-AC6A-6DCA22F913E0.jpeg

41E14AE9-2894-43BC-87E9-315CE21AA04D.jpeg

Boy if anything that’s a beautiful looking bow, very nice... 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i've been back and forth on getting a crossbow or going the other way using a recurve i already have that i haven't given a fair enough shot. i'm so torn just had to laugh at this, as i might well do the same thing without even without the physical issues.

One certainly requires a lot less practice.  I may get to a point that I don't shoot enough and want to hunt with a compound or crossbow, but I still love shooting and find hunting with a single string bow to be more of a challenge.  Making the shot never really crosses my mind with a compound but it sure can with the trad bows. 

• Like 3