2019 The Year of the Longbow

moog5050

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

One certainly requires a lot less practice.  I may get to a point that I don't shoot enough and want to hunt with a compound or crossbow, but I still love shooting and find hunting with a single string bow to be more of a challenge.  Making the shot never really crosses my mind with a compound but it sure can with the trad bows. 

Once you get older, making the shot, or even "drawing" the bow is a very real challenge. (as you witnessed)

You don't need to worry about that now though. And your level of skill and determination is well evident. I wish I could go back to trad for my last bow kill. Complete the circle. But no way can I shoot enough to make that happen at this point.

But following your exploits and successes with trad bows, puts a smile on my face!  I'll settle for that!

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 7:33 PM, G-Man said:

Let me know when your ready to try real archery I can knap you a set of these and make up some cedar arrows with bone inserts for nockFB_IMG_1547253085986.thumb.jpg.0bcd98ff9db3b10e8efde9af9450e9f9.jpgFB_IMG_1547253089456.jpg.d4ff45f5d1662e87b619741d60c22b5f.jpg

You make some up that spine for me and I will promise to kill Deer with them.  Shot a 267 on the nfaa 20yd tonight.  Could have easily been a 280.  Grouped great but a bit high.  Loving the longbow.  

Thise are beautiful arrows and wood arrows with knapped heads go with a longbow like peanut butter and jelly! lol 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You make some up that spine for me and I will promise to kill Deer with them.  Shot a 267 on the nfaa 20yd tonight.  Could have easily been a 280.  Grouped great but a bit high.  Loving the longbow.  

Thise are beautiful arrows and wood arrows with knapped heads go with a longbow like peanut butter and jelly! lol 

That's heat treated pa jasper, I have many different kind of workable stone . Just need to know poundage for cedar shafts and approximate weight of head you want.. I can usually keep them with in 3-5 grain of each other

6 minutes ago, G-Man said:

That's heat treated pa jasper, I have many different kind of workable stone . Just need to know poundage for cedar shafts and approximate weight of head you want.. I can usually keep them with in 3-5 grain of each other

That’s impressive consistency Gman.  I currently shoot 30” easton 340s with 300g heads from this bow.  I like heavy heads.   DW is about 55lbs at my 29” DL.  I really have never played with woodies but my current total weight is around 650g.  I suspect woodies will be heavier which is cool with me.  If you are serious, happy to pay you for some that tune up for me.  It would be a sweet arrow to kill a buck with next year!

Let me know when your ready to try real archery I can knap you a set of these and make up some cedar arrows with bone inserts for nockFB_IMG_1547253085986.thumb.jpg.0bcd98ff9db3b10e8efde9af9450e9f9.jpgFB_IMG_1547253089456.jpg.d4ff45f5d1662e87b619741d60c22b5f.jpg
Do you also make sweet bows? Maybe that's why I can't kill anything. I'm trying to be too advanced. Need to level the playing field then the deer will come to me

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a custom made deathwish longbow made by Steve Welte that I shoot once in a blue moon. I can get fairly consistent with it but still lack the confidence to hunt with it. The bow was made in the mid 90's and is still in mint condition. I keep saying maybe this year I will hunt with it but never do...lol. Purple Heart and Orange sage I believe

20190124_153023.jpg

20190124_153112.jpg

20190124_153038.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/10/2019 at 4:19 PM, NYBowhunter said:

What are the differences between the 2, any advantage of shooting one over the other? 

Longbow is much less critical of form than a recurve and thus better for shooting moving/flying targets.

Edited by wildcat junkie

1 minute ago, wildcat junkie said:

Longbow is much less critical of form than a recurve and thus better for shooting moving/flying targets.

Honestly, I find my recurves to be more forgiving but I also know that is a debated matter.  In general I find bows cut past center to be more forgiving which most longbows are not, even the hybrids.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Honestly, I find my recurves to be more forgiving but I also know that is a debated matter.  In general I find bows cut past center to be more forgiving which most longbows are not, even the hybrids.

Howard Hill would disagree with you.

9 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

He wont be the only one.  And others will disagree with Howard Hill.  All that said, you see Olympic archers shooting recurves not longbows.  Recurve division scores are almost always higher than longbow division scores in target tourneys also.  Take it for what its worth.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 3:40 PM, wildcat junkie said:

On 1/24/2019 at 3:44 PM, moog5050 said:

On 1/24/2019 at 3:52 PM, wildcat junkie said:

On 1/24/2019 at 3:56 PM, moog5050 said:

He wont be the only one.  And others will disagree with Howard Hill.  All that said, you see Olympic archers shooting recurves not longbows.  Recurve division scores are almost always higher than longbow division scores in target tourneys also.  Take it for what its worth.

Howard Hill shot grouse on the wing with a longbow. I haven't seen that in the Olympics yet.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:29 PM, moog5050 said:

It’s a Schafer Silvertip.   About 54-55lbs at my DL.   So far I am commiting blasphemy by shooting carbon arrows.  Lol.   But they seem to land wherever I point.   Just have to be careful to keep the limb tip between joists when I shoot this one.  

4D7D8306-6504-44D3-A1F5-895044AE0910.jpeg

A9F85931-9B43-44D4-AC6A-6DCA22F913E0.jpeg

41E14AE9-2894-43BC-87E9-315CE21AA04D.jpeg

I wouldn't stand a chance down there with that one then...lol

1 hour ago, wildcat junkie said:

Howard Hill shot grouse on the wing with a longbow. I haven't seen that in the Olympics yet.

You said Howard Hill would disagree that recurves are more forgiving.   It’s wonderful that he was a good shot with his longbow.   Don’t change the fact that scores are always higher in recurve division.  Explain that under your theory. And citing one legend doesn’t cut it.   I disagree that form is any less important for a longbow. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 7:33 PM, G-Man said:

G-Man, would you be willing to sell me two or three of those heads? I'd like to make my grandson and I a necklace. It would be a nice keepsake for him after I'm gone.

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

G-Man, would you be willing to sell me two or three of those heads? I'd like to make my grandson and I a necklace. It would be a nice keepsake for him after I'm gone.

When I get a chance on a decent day I'll Knapp you out a couple. Have to do outside and it was -25 here the other morning. The little stone flacks are like scalpels and not good on your feet or linoleum..

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Those look real nice Steve and this is the first I heard of them. 

He's been building for several years in Montana - has a strong western following including Aron Snyder of Kifaru packs. A real craftsman. I shot several of his bows at Denton last year - 1st time in 15 years I'm considering a bow with wood in it:D

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 6:29 PM, moog5050 said:

It’s a Schafer Silvertip.   About 54-55lbs at my DL.   So far I am commiting blasphemy by shooting carbon arrows.  Lol.   But they seem to land wherever I point.   Just have to be careful to keep the limb tip between joists when I shoot this one.  

4D7D8306-6504-44D3-A1F5-895044AE0910.jpeg

A9F85931-9B43-44D4-AC6A-6DCA22F913E0.jpeg

41E14AE9-2894-43BC-87E9-315CE21AA04D.jpeg

I can say it makes a hell of a crack, you duck and then slowly look at the tip of your bow!!!!!! Luckily nothing happened when i did it to my bow. Beautiful bow good luck with it. I actually thought it was a stalker by the handle at first glance.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

I can say it makes a hell of a crack, you duck and then slowly look at the tip of your bow!!!!!! Luckily nothing happened when i did it to my bow. Beautiful bow good luck with it. I actually thought it was a stalker by the handle at first glance.

I know the feeling!  Almost as scary as when I had limbs delaminate on me.  lol

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...