2019 The Year of the Longbow

moog5050

Do you also make sweet bows? Maybe that's why I can't kill anything. I'm trying to be too advanced. Need to level the playing field then the deer will come to me

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If you actually want a hand made traditional bow Frank Sanmarco out of maopach makes beautiful bows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

They've gotta be big money no?

They are expensive but if I remember correctly they aren’t as bad as you would think. If he is even still doing it. The guy is a serious bad ass though. One of the best woodsmen you will ever meet.

• Like 1

They've gotta be big money no?

Did a quick google search he’s still out there. Full disclosure this guy was my science teacher in like 8th grade. But watch some YouTube videos he’s a bad ass

• Like 1

1 minute ago, biggamefish said:

There are some good classifieds to buy handmade custom bows out there. You can pick up some high end bows pretty cheap. Tradgang.com is a good one. You have to pay to get in to the classifieds so it weeds out scammers.

I would also be confident buying on Archery Talk so long as the seller has good feedback.  Never been burned and bought and sold a lot there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful bow. Enjoy your new beauty!  The trick for me, back when I hunted with my long bow was practice, practice, practice. No sights. Here's a photo of my right-handed Howard Hill custom Big Five (five laminated bamboo.) Seventy pounds at 29 inches. Hunted with from 1978 to 1996. Before that, 1970 to '78, recurves. My shoulder started going (rotator cuff) so I switched to lefty compounds. Killed deer each year with it. Loved to still hunt with it. Shot the winter archery leagues with it. A lot of arrows. Fletched my own arrows with my gobbler feathers back in the day and like Lawd...always used Rothhaar Snuffers. Killed my best 10 pt. to date with it, a 300-pound hog in Tenn. and bear in Ontario.  Native American gal did the custom beadwork etc. on the cloth case. 

Howard Hill custom bamboo longbow Big 5, 70 lb. @ 29 inches. .JPG

Howard Hill longbow and cloth case, with custom beadwork .JPG

1 hour ago, Buckstopshere said:

Beautiful bow. Enjoy your new beauty!  The trick for me, back when I hunted with my long bow was practice, practice, practice. No sights. Here's a photo of my right-handed Howard Hill custom Big Five (five laminated bamboo.) Seventy pounds at 29 inches. Hunted with from 1978 to 1996. Before that, 1970 to '78, recurves. My shoulder started going (rotator cuff) so I switched to lefty compounds. Killed deer each year with it. Loved to still hunt with it. Shot the winter archery leagues with it. A lot of arrows. Fletched my own arrows with my gobbler feathers back in the day and like Lawd...always used Rothhaar Snuffers. Killed my best 10 pt. to date with it, a 300-pound hog in Tenn. and bear in Ontario.  Native American gal did the custom beadwork etc. on the cloth case. 

Howard Hill custom bamboo longbow Big 5, 70 lb. @ 29 inches. .JPG

Howard Hill longbow and cloth case, with custom beadwork .JPG

70lbs is a heavy longbow.  I had a recurve at 75lbs and it cleans up a sloppy release.  But I  really prefer the 48-55 range.   That’s a nice bow BSH.   

• Like 1

Thanks. The old grey shoulder ain't what it used to be. lol. Too many softball games...men's league and I played centerfield.  I loved still hunting with that bow. So different than a compound bow, especially stealing down a trail with the bow pointed ahead, not catching any weeds or twigs. I dream about doing it again...maybe someday. But I would have to practice a lot...lots of arrows. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 8:40 PM, Lawdwaz said:

Jim Crumley's Trebark covered limbs.......love it!

I'll bet quite a few of the members here never even heard of Jim Crumley!

https://www.bowhunting.net/2016/12/interview-jim-crumley-the-inventor-of-modern-camouflage/

i'm only 35 but my first deer i took wearing a trebark one piece coverall. that count?