NY says to kill...

Paula

The problem I have with this is after seeing all the mountain lion pictures and people asking if this is a what ever is on there game camera there are to many outdoorsmen that truly can't tell one animal from another and a lot of deer will get shot 

shhhhh! That was my plan if the venison ran low! Damn man!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, mowin said:

I wonder why u need to be a licensed Hunter to go after something that's not supposed to be in the state?  Would DEC give someone a ticket if they shot it and didn't have a hunting license

This should answer your question. You can't do anything in New York without a license unless you are a illegal immigrant:

To hunt—means to pursue, shoot, kill or capture

(other than trap) wildlife and includes all lesser acts

that disturb or worry wildlife, whether or not they

result in taking. Hunting also includes all acts to

assist another person in taking wildlife.

11 hours ago, First-light said:

They are on Long Island. Shoot as many as you want. They were brought here by sportsman clubs and s\escaped the enclosures. Cool looking but heard they taste like shit. Let me know if you think different. Don't have to be tagged. 

if I remember right there was a meateater podcast about them, and btw they're not to be confused with sitka deer but are pronounced "sicka". And there's a whole island/swamp area near maryland where they're coveted. I dont recall hearing anything about them tasting bad. I think there was a bad smell or something but it was like boar where not all of them had it. Anyhow, yeah they aren't native and their pop blew up but they're sort of land locked at this area.

I've always been a little jeaslous of western hunters having multiple species of hoofed animals to hunt, but I sure wouldn't want to risk my whitetail for them. I also imagine a single or a few sika would be like hunting a white rhino. good luck lol.

• Like 1

Sika deer are extremely hard to hunt - very challenging terrain and they have improved defenses over whitetails. Killing one in the Chesapeake/Mid-Atlantic region brings a lot of kudos from other hunters. Very well known to be a big success.

• Like 1

This is the original source of the article, has more info.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2019/01/have-you-see-this-exotic-deer-dec-wants-this-invader-shot.html

Apparently, there are red deer taken in November in Cattaraugus County by a 16 yr old girl. 175 pounder, a doe.

What bugs me is none of the preserves that have the Sitka reported any missing livestock, and DEC did an inventory and came up with the same thing. Ditto for the red deer. Leads me to believe they are making inroads in our state. Maybe some escaped years ago and have been reproducing?

From the Fox article comments section.

The article is wrong. Or Fish and Game is wrong. Sika Deer are not Deer, they are Asian Elk. A Wild Animal dealer brought them to Maryland in 1916 and Boy Scouts released five of them on James Island, Maryland in 1928. They became so overpopulated on James Island that in the 1950's 60% of the herd died from adrenal gland problems due to stress. Some made their way to Assateaque Island and Marylands Eastern Shore where they multipled so fast they overran the White Tail Herds in Dorchester and Worchester Counties. in the 70's they caused the White Tail population to be reduced to 10% of what it should have been and caused millions in crop damage. When we hunted them in Dorchester in the 70's, one season we could take 7. Rifle on White Tail stamp, 1 white tail and two Sika or three Sika, Bow season two Sika and Muzzleloader season two Sika in addition to one White Tail. There were also bonus tags that could be purchased which if you hunted all three seasons meant you could take nine.Same time, early 20th century they were imported into Maryland by Wild Animal dealers, a Catskill, NY dealer imported them, some escaped and began multiplying. Those were eradicated. The James Island Sika Deer went unmolested so they were able to reproduce out of control. No one wanted to hunt them, they dressed out at maybe 30-40 pounds.

To the bold, apparently they were not.

2 minutes ago, CapDistPatriot said:

This is the original source of the article, has more info.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2019/01/have-you-see-this-exotic-deer-dec-wants-this-invader-shot.html

Apparently, there are red deer taken in November in Cattaraugus County by a 16 yr old girl. 175 pounder, a doe.

What bugs me is none of the preserves that have the Sitka reported any missing livestock, and DEC did an inventory and came up with the same thing. Ditto for the red deer. Leads me to believe they are making inroads in our state. Maybe some escaped years ago and have been reproducing?

i'd think you'd know. same as a local big or unique buck in the area gets seen by others at some point. it was brought in, released, or escaped somehow. maybe not from a the typical deer farm but maybe a small zoo or something with deer in a fence.

• Like 1