NY says to kill...

Paula

i'd think you'd know. same as a local big or unique buck in the area gets seen by others at some point. it was brought in, released, or escaped somehow. maybe not from a the typical deer farm but maybe a small zoo or something with deer in a fence.

That would be more apt to be true. Remember us deer farmers do this to get rich and those would not be worth the price to feed for a guy making bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, CapDistPatriot said:

This is the original source of the article, has more info.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2019/01/have-you-see-this-exotic-deer-dec-wants-this-invader-shot.html

Apparently, there are red deer taken in November in Cattaraugus County by a 16 yr old girl. 175 pounder, a doe.

What bugs me is none of the preserves that have the Sitka reported any missing livestock, and DEC did an inventory and came up with the same thing. Ditto for the red deer. Leads me to believe they are making inroads in our state. Maybe some escaped years ago and have been reproducing?

would you admit it if you had an invasive species escape your business? 

1 hour ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

So it looks like a new form of elk hunting has stated in New York.

Next get togethers at WNY's place, LOL.

HAHAHA Funny you say that, I was planning to do one at my place last year, but because of my father's health issues last year, it didnt happen. Im going to be trying again for this year.

34 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

That would be more apt to be true. Remember us deer farmers do this to get rich and those would not be worth the price to feed for a guy making bank.

My girlfriends uncle has some red stag on his hunting ranch. They bring in more money than his biggest bucks do.

My girlfriends uncle has some red stag on his hunting ranch. They bring in more money than his biggest bucks do.

Stags and Elk will bring in great cash but in numbers I could not sell 60-100 a year like whitetails. I can't raise enough for the demand. Just had a call for 30 doe fawns for spring that I won't be able to fill. Time for another expansion soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

i'm sure if you know the right people there's a demand for anything. regs might be different idk. deer get out of a fence at your typical deer farm too. safe the say they didn't just naturally show up there. they came from a farm/zoo at some point. i'm just open to where and trying not to point any fingers and run with assumptions more than necessary.  i just know invasive species always seem to end up being bad to have around for some reason or another.

We got one up in St Lawrence County many years ago. It came out on a drive on some farm my cousin’s friend owned. The farmers son shot it. Tag in ear and all. Looked like a 70 pound elk lol. Whoever said they taste bad is nuts. To this day that was the best venison I’ve ever had.
They have always been shoot on site. Any escaped non native deer/stag/elk.

• Like 1