New world record non typical

rob-c

11 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Technically would it not be free range once it was outside of a pen? That would imply forgetting the whole tameness of them

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I wonder if anyone  asks when people show up with those monsters like that .

Some one with a few dollars could just buy one of those monsters dump it in there back yard near a good food source so the deer has no reason to go far and shoot it .

And claim  he shot it free range  with a straight face because technically he did .

Even though it was born and raised  in captivity before being released. 

I am not saying he won't make money, but I don't quite get it either.  Guys like Dan Infalt kill big buck after big buck on public land and don't seem to be getting rich from it.  But you kill one really big buck and its 7 figures?  I guess people and companies pay more to see one really big set of antlers than I would but I certainly don't blame the guy for cashing in if he can.

Just a question FSW what's to stop someone from buying a deer from you and dropping it in someones  back yard near a good food source and shooting it then claiming it's a record wild deer just because he shot it after being released from a high fence deer farm ?

Lol. That's not how it works. Every deer that leaves a farm has an Id attached to it. You can't just go buy a deer. The buyer has to be licensed and the seller has to be licensed and certified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I am not saying he won't make money, but I don't quite get it either.  Guys like Dan Infalt kill big buck after big buck on public land and don't seem to be getting rich from it.  But you kill one really big buck and its 7 figures?  I guess people and companies pay more to see one really big set of antlers than I would but I certainly don't blame the guy for cashing in if he can.

A 140-170 is not big in the real world of deer. It's like finding the pearl and it being worth a million.

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Not really sure how he is going to make 7 figures. I do get that it is a world record and not just a big buck. When I first started reading this post I wasn't sure I would want all the BS, Kinda what @Belo said in his post. Share it with my hunting buddies, enjoy it on my wall and be done. 

After reading the posts on here, if the possibility really exists to make a living off something like that, much less a really good one (7 figures) I think I would have to take the paycheck. I would probably be shaking more making public appearances especially if I had to speak than I would have been shaking when I shot that buck. It wouldn't be my cup of tea, that's for sure, but I would suck it up if it was going to set myself and my family up for life. 

Maybe get invited out to Lee and Tiffs to hunt and make fun of all their little bucks....hahahaha

21 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I wonder if anyone  asks when people show up with those monsters like that .

Some one with a few dollars could just buy one of those monsters dump it in there back yard near a good food source so the deer has no reason to go far and shoot it .

And claim  he shot it free range  with a straight face because technically he did .

Even though it was born and raised  in captivity before being released. 

It's like any other endorsement.  Info will be checked.  Nike doesn't spend a fortune on an endorsement til there closets are checked. Would be the same here.  

A world record cert has the capability of making someone a very rich person.  Catch the world record largemouth and your also gonna be a millionaire.

There's a lot of money in outdoor sports. The biggest bass tournaments are hundreds of thousands to the winner.  Beyond the endorsements.  

A smaller buck of 10 inches under the record or a bass under a pound will get attention but the record....whole other story.  

I would grin and bear it just like this fella seems to be.  

34 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

A 140-170 is not big in the real world of deer. It's like finding the pearl and it being worth a million.

LOL - OK what real world of deer are you referencing where 170 is not a big whitetail.  I get its not a world record, but its a big buck by any standard - except maybe the not so real world of farmed deer.

• Like 7

LOL - OK what real world of deer are you referencing where 170 is not a big whitetail.  I get its not a world record, but its a big buck by any standard - except maybe the not so real world of farmed deer.

How many 170's do you see in the news getting any recognition? End of Story.

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Love watching Dan Infalt and the hunting beast guys on youtube/podcasts. Highly entertaining and there is always something to learn from that crew. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

ahh - so only news worthy deer are part of the real world of deer - hate to say it FSW, but that is a messed up view point.  But you are entitled to it.

• Like 2

ahh - so only news worthy deer are part of the real world of deer - hate to say it FSW, but that is a messed up view point.  But you are entitled to it.

Again just playing with the facts. Ny is not the Real World of deer hunting. Go to a real state and 150 is low end.

• Confused 1

Pretty sure NY is a real state and there are real deer here and both are part of the real world (those are real facts).  And I can assure you, 170 is a big buck in Iowa, WI, OH and the other big buck states too.  So much for your "facts."  So were the sub 170 bucks you shot this year real deer or big deer? 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Pretty sure NY is a real state and there are real deer here and both are part of the real world (those are real facts).  And I can assure you, 170 is a big buck in Iowa, WI, OH and the other big buck states too.  So much for your "facts."  So were the sub 170 bucks you shot this year real deer or big deer? 

Ya we see them talked about all over. Real newsworthy. High 40's low 50's in this sub par state? Yeah I would put it towards the top. Not real world big by any means. Ny big! 0766d9d2c2a43e53a1e1e97400b2fb33.jpg. Real world average. Far from newsworthy

5 hours ago, phade said:

A-freaking-men.

People always looking for the negative. Guy is former military, hunted a buddy's farm who knew about the deer and had been after it, and he shot it on the first night. The DNR confirmed it's legit I believe, too. NAW is all over it with exclusivity.

Can we just celebrate a new record accomplishment?

Not really sure what record was acomplished the fact the deer grew that rack is impressive.. never really impressed with the hunter that take it.. 

46 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Pick up any magazine lots of 170 in bucks in them it's what sells.. this guy just got a lottery win is all.  Matter of fact I bet you see the same 170class buck in several magazines... why I kind of stopped looking at any of them.

4 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Ya we see them talked about all over. Real newsworthy. High 40's low 50's in this sub par state? Yeah I would put it towards the top. Not real world big by any means. Ny big! 0766d9d2c2a43e53a1e1e97400b2fb33.jpg. Real world average. Far from newsworthy

I think your view has been tainted by all those not so real deer world deer you hang with daily.   But thats OK.

• Like 2

Pick up any magazine lots of 170 in bucks in them it's what sells.. this guy just got a lottery win is all.  Matter of fact I bet you see the same 170class buck in several magazines... why I kind of stopped looking at any of them.

Yes just what I said. 170. Average! Nothing special in many parts of the good deer hunting states. Not gunna get no call from Tinks for that one that's for sure. When 150 is small and borderline in many places that speaks volume. Many Nyer's will never see that kind of hunting where the 100 inch 8 is a brute. To each their own but let's be real.

3 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Yes just what I said. 170. Average! Nothing special in many parts of the good deer hunting states. Not gunna get no call from Tinks for that one that's for sure. When 150 is small and borderline in many places that speaks volume. Many Nyer's will never see that kind of hunting where the 100 inch 8 is a brute. To each their own but let's be real.

Are you really suggesting that deer that are featured in hunting magazines are the average deer?  Cmon even you can't believe that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Lol. That's not how it works. Every deer that leaves a farm has an Id attached to it. You can't just go buy a deer. The buyer has to be licensed and the seller has to be licensed and certified.

Does Every state have  those rules ?

Edited by Storm914

34 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Are you really suggesting that deer that are featured in hunting magazines are the average deer?  Cmon even you can't believe that.

out of likes but usually it's the very best bucks and photos that show up in magazines from what Gordan Whittington has said. He gets tons of above average deer that never make it to the mag because there just is only so much space and so many monster bucks coming from all parts of the country to choose from.

3 hours ago, Just Lucky said:

Selling the rack would probably fetch enough to retire. 

interesting sub topic. I have no idea how much the rights to the replicas would net you, so at what price does the original need to be set at to make it worth it, and even at that price, who would sell it? I know I have a clock my MOL bought me with 4 famous bucks on it. They live on forever and I assume if you sell the rack you sell the rights.

Anyhow, I do ok financially and I bet the responses to this would vary, but I don't think I could sell that buck for any amount of money unless I was at a point that I financially needed to. You can never get it back, it's original, unique and something I'd want my family to have. Even a million dollars I dont think would do it, but of course I'm also not in that position, so who knows. I know some guys here would probably sell it for a grand. to each their own.

2 hours ago, ny hunter said:

Milo Hanson said his whole life changed after he shot his world record... 

only because he let it i think. If you wanted nothing to do with the fame, I dont think you would ever feel much of the effects.

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

we should ask phade. he threw out the 7 figure number. But I think the key to earning big money is the title "world record". That just means something. 

Edited by Belo

$1MM?? Who would turn that down? Give me the money and a replica and I'm hunting all over the mid-west the following season. Im very skeptical of that number though. You may be able to really hustle with endorsement deals, licensing, shows, etc and earn money off a monster buck but I doubt anyone is offering seven figures for one

• Like 1

i think Phade was getting at lifetime earns from it and no single entity is going to pay for that.  Bass Pro, outdoor shows, etc pay to do speeches, seminars, and sometimes just tell the story of how the biggest free range wild whitetail ever taken hit the dirt. It's not uncommon for the most sought after to get several thousand for just showing up.  then the same goes for replica mounts that are only produced if someone pays you to have one. not like some creates one to use from a picture. then someone can't use your name to sell a product without your consent and maybe paying you a royalty. After a while that adds up.  many of you and your families can't live like a king off $1M alone the rest of your lifetime. it'd just be supplemental income.

say you got 35 yrs left of peddling that one time you got lucky and sealed the deal to kill the record. several grand ($6k) per replica or appearance. say you manage to make that happen just 5 times a year. that's over $1M.

Edited by dbHunterNY

5 minutes ago, 518BowSlayer said:

should've let him grow another year! lol!!!

the typical record/hanson buck was 4.5 yrs old. it's very likely it would've gotten bigger. at least gross score wise. it's very possible it'd grow deductible points and would've no longer been the record.  crazy to imagine but true.