New world record non typical

rob-c

The overwhelming majority of cover bucks (as they are called) are from fenced operations. I'd estimate 4/5 glossy covers are from a buck behind a fence.

A cover buck photo is worth $250-600 based on publication. That price is dropping though with changing mediums.

9 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

So less than he could have made working a decent job

It's not a full-time job - most of it is passive income via replicas and licensing. Only real "efforts" are appearance fees. And that income is supplemental. It is as Gman said like winning the lottery.

People can downplay the money, people can downplay what they would do - doesn't change the fact that one can monetize a world record - making life-altering money for something that one pays to pursue as a hobby. The guy shot one deer, one time, and made $1.5M off of it.

Edited by phade
  • Like 3

Just now, phade said:

It's not a full-time job - most of it is passive income via replicas and licensing. Only real "efforts" are appearance fees. And that income is supplemental.

People can downplay the money, people can downplay what they would do - doesn't change the fact that one can monetize a world record - making life-altering money for something that one pays to pursue as a hobby. The guy shot one deer, one time, and made $1.5M off of it.

Right but that dude hustles, hes put a lot of time and money into marketing that deer. I wonder what he spent in lawyer fees just to get Rompola to go away lol

• Like 1

Just now, phade said:

It's not a full-time job - most of it is passive income via replicas and licensing. Only real "efforts" are appearance fees. And that income is supplemental.

I would rather win the powerball if I am aiming for a lucky money maker.  But the big buck that makes an extra 7 figures ain’t bad.   I suspect odds are similar.  Lol

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

I don't know. Maybe someday you will be able to afford to go somewhere and see/kill some real deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So true.  And maybe some day he can go down to the red light light district, pay somebody for a good time , then brag about the high quality tail he gets on the internet.  And mock others for not doing the same. 

I wonder how much mental gymnastics people like you have to do to justify this sort of thing.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Right but that dude hustles, hes put a lot of time and money into marketing that deer. I wonder what he spent in lawyer fees just to get Rompola to go away lol

Exactly - he just said that #. I suspect that it is much higher in all reality - he wouldn't and couldn't spend those fees if he didn't have the money to do so. I think that alone is strong evidence that he made a lot more than what he's said he's made publicly. That's a smoke/fire scenario.

1 minute ago, phade said:

Exactly - he just said that #. I suspect that it is much higher in all reality - he wouldn't and couldn't spend those fees if he didn't have the money to do so. I think that alone is strong evidence that he made a lot more than what he's said he's made publicly. That's a smoke/fire scenario.

I hope he tipped the school bus driver that started that entire debacle of a hunt lol. 

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

At least the Powerball has a winner twice a week, its been 30 years since we had a WR lol

This is true but I don’t play the lottery so my personal odds of killing a WR are probably better than winning powerball.  Although not much better.  

• Like 1

Just catching up on this thread. I’ll admit I would Be a sellout for sure. I’d take every free trip and dollar I could get out of the buck. Unless you are extremely wealthy, who wouldn’t want easy $ for showing off your buck at some events and allowing replicas to be made.

Just catching up on this thread. I’ll admit I would Be a sellout for sure. I’d take every free trip and dollar I could get out of the buck. Unless you are extremely wealthy, who wouldn’t want easy $ for showing off your buck at some events and allowing replicas to be made.

You would make a Perfect Deer Farmer Perfection!

Just looking back at the story and find this "By the way, tooth wear showed that amazing buck to most likely have been only 4 1/2 year old. His teeth weren't even that worn for a deer of such age"

We cant bisect a tooth of the freaking WR??!
A biologist I've had a chance to meet and respect had got an invite to milo's house and handled the real full lower jawbone. He thought it to be 4.5 yrs old and confident enough to put the info out there. Not sure why teeth weren't sent I'm for cementum annuli analysis for well under $100. They do supplemental feed the deer up there making results less conclusive. Still the lab would give you a confidence index/letter grade based on the sample they could out under the microscope. That makes sense. Regardless it's awesome. I've handled multiple bronze castings of each side of the Hanson bucks antlers. I've also held my buddy's buck over 200" and 5.5 yrs old. Pics dont do it justice compared to having it right there in your hands. All amazing deer record or not.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A biologist I've had a chance to meet and respect had got an invite to milo's house and handled the real full lower jawbone. He thought it to be 4.5 yrs old and confident enough to put the info out there. Not sure why teeth weren't sent I'm for cementum annuli analysis for well under $100. They do supplemental feed the deer up there making results less conclusive. Still the lab would give you a confidence index/letter grade based on the sample they could out under the microscope. That makes sense. Regardless it's awesome. I've handled multiple bronze castings of each side of the Hanson bucks antlers. I've also held my buddy's buck over 200" and 5.5 yrs old. Pics dont do it justice compared to having it right there in your hands. All amazing deer record or not.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes holding 200 inches of bone in one's hand really shows what these animals can achieve. Regardless where they are grown. I saw Hanson's buck at the Syracuse show so many years back There was a waiting line and everything had a price. Pic's, Stickers, Pic's with buck and Milo. People were lined up to hand over their money.

20 hours ago, Bionic said:

Just stumbled on the hunter’s Instagram that got that deer.  He has trail cam pics of the deer in a field.  Pretty cool, seems like a normal everyday guy, good for him.  

it's nice to have trail cam pictures of big bucks that you know and not just some buck off the internet. my buddy's buck that he took. he's your average joe hunting with some buddies that happened to be in the right place at the right time.

1966047_10204512630638497_5157431995059413246_o.jpg

11412183_10204512630038482_7354818507736586574_o.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, halfnelson said:

Where can you find the hunter's story of the hunt?  Would be good reading.  All I can find is the info about it being a WR.  The guy must have posted the story somewhere.  Thanks if you have the go-to page.

If he was smart he wouldn't have that story up anywhere until someone paid for the rights to it. Then it'll hit the media and thats how money is made from shooting a big deer.

5 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

it's nice to have trail cam pictures of big bucks that you know and not just some buck off the internet. my buddy's buck that he took. he's your average joe hunting with some buddies that happened to be in the right place at the right time.

1966047_10204512630638497_5157431995059413246_o.jpg

11412183_10204512630038482_7354818507736586574_o.jpg

I would love to get a nice someday, that I have a trail cam pic of!

thats some deer in those pics!