New world record non typical

rob-c

Westchester County has got some of the biggest NY deer that have not been seen.Being archery only has made them possible to get to that size.I did alot of work at Pace and Briarcliff And have seen many huge bucks.So it is possible that there could be a record deer taken.NY is a huge state and to think we can't get a record deer is just nonesence.

Westchester still has the NYS record typical. 180” I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

200" ers have been killed in NY, legally

Barely any. I believe the average is 15-20 true 200” NET bucks in America each year entered into B&C.

The NYS Typical archery record is only like 180” from Westchester. I wouldn’t be surprised if that record continues for a long long time. It’s already been 20-25 years I think

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I would like a chance at one.They are some big deer down that way the only record for me is to put in my freezer.Yes I eat what I kill and my pockets do not run deep.If this offends you then move on to another state.

As a pure meat hunter, antlers don't mean too much to me.   Because larger-antlered bucks usually are older, and have larger bodies, my primary use of them is to provide a rough estimate of how much meat I might get, before I pull the trigger and punch my buck tags.   Since gaining access to some decent hunting in the northern zone, about 10 years ago, I have been passing up bucks with less than three points on a side, during the first half of the southern zone archery and gun seasons.   That has allowed me to save my buck tags for some hunting up north, and/or resulted in my killing of some larger-bodied (and antlered) southern zone deer. 

As far as antlers and records go, I would not "enter" a NY state Booner or even have one scored, unless it looked like it might green score larger than Roosevelt Lucky's NY state record typical.   Besides providing a rough, on-the-hoof, estimate of a bucks age, those antlers also indicate the sex of a deer with very good certainty.  As most on this site are well aware, I have killed more than a few bucks without protruding antlers, but not a single doe that had them.   Since I process most of my own venison, I much prefer that it comes from bucks.  They always have a lot less fat to trim, so I can get that job done faster.  No one at my house likes that doe fat sticking to the roof of their mouth at dinner time, so I really have to go overboard on the trimming on does when they are included in our annual venison supply.    

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

As a pure meat hunter, antlers don't mean too much to me.   Because larger-antlered bucks usually are older, and have larger bodies, my primary use of them is to provide a rough estimate of how much meat I might get, before I pull the trigger and punch my buck tags.   Since gaining access to some decent hunting in the northern zone, about 10 years ago, I have been passing up bucks with less than three points on a side, during the first half of the southern zone archery and gun seasons.   That has allowed me to save my buck tags for some hunting up north, and/or resulted in my killing of some larger-bodied (and antlered) southern zone deer. 
As far as antlers and records go, I would not "enter" a NY state Booner or even have one scored, unless it looked like it might green score larger than Roosevelt Lucky's NY state record typical.   Besides providing a rough, on-the-hoof, estimate of a bucks age, those antlers also indicate the sex of a deer with very good certainty.  As most on this site are well aware, I have killed more than a few bucks without protruding antlers, but not a single doe that had them.   Since I process most of my own venison, I much prefer that it comes from bucks.  They always have a lot less fat to trim, so I can get that job done faster.  No one at my house likes that doe fat sticking to the roof of their mouth at dinner time, so I really have to go overboard on the trimming on does when they are included in our annual venison supply.    
You're forgetting about the two bonus cuts that dangle below the bucks but not does

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I would like a chance at one.They are some big deer down that way the only record for me is to put in my freezer.Yes I eat what I kill and my pockets do not run deep.If this offends you then move on to another state.

Doesn’t bother me

5 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

3 out of the 6 records in NY are over 200 "  . To me ,the archery bucks get my respect the most but there are deer over 200" , just not enough.

• Like 1

Barely any. I believe the average is 15-20 true 200” NET bucks in America each year entered into B&C.

The NYS Typical archery record is only like 180” from Westchester. I wouldn’t be surprised if that record continues for a long long time. It’s already been 20-25 years I think

Well of course it’s “barely any” we are talking about white whales here. “Only like 180” typical are you kidding me with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Well of course it’s “barely any” we are talking about white whales here. “Only like 180” typical are you kidding me with that

I just meant it’s 20” away from 200” and has stood for a long time in NY. I wonder what the other States whitetail archery typical records are. I would think most are over 200”

• Like 1

I just meant it’s 20” away from 200” and has stood for a long time in NY. I wonder what the other States whitetail archery typical records are. I would think most are over 200”

Typical? Not sure about that. TO THE INTERNET!!

• Like 1

i've seen some really big deer taken by hunters i know. especially with the trend going on, we won't see them as often as in the past. bucks that big and old on huntable property won't live to see their potential. hell i'm hard pressed to pass a 140" buck at 3.5 yrs old that might have what it takes to grow into a Booner 2-3 years from then! Also deer numbers were higher years ago, which leads to a better chance you'll get a buck that wins that genetic lottery. i've held a 200+" free range booner buck and it was stupid big. i measured it's left G2 green at just under 17" long. I posted a Booner dead head on here and that was stupid big, let alone for this part of NY.  I'll just enjoy what deer I can. I'm not lucky enough for a record book. lol

On 2/12/2019 at 5:55 PM, wolc123 said:

I think you are in the minority 

I think most guys are hunting for other reasons besides hunger .

They may not be waiting to shoot a trophy but I don't think there hunting because they like venison over beef either .

It's  more of a  sport to most people, The meats just a bonus. 

I would be willing to bet that if all the deer in the country developed some disease that made the meat poisonous or really taste  bad  .

People would still hunt them anyway. Even if they couldn't consume them .

Edited by Storm914
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Storm914 said:

They may not be waiting to shoot a trophy but I don't think there hunting because they like venison over beef either .

I would be really to bet that if all the deer in the country developed some disease that made the meat poisonous or really taste  bad  .

Don't even try and tell that joker that antlers are a huge part of the deer hunting world. He will say its all about the meat and something about a mature buck tastes different then a young buck.   But he also prides himself on killing baby button bucks so?

I would also have to agree with ya on the hunting and not eating part,  Some on here do it now. It would suck not being able to eat them but i know myself i would still be chasing trophy bucks.. But my minimum inches before killing may just have to be raised a few inches.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Don't even try and tell that joker that antlers are a huge part of the deer hunting world. He will say its all about the meat and something about a mature buck tastes different then a young buck.   But he also prides himself on killing baby button bucks so?

I would also have to agree with ya on the hunting and not eating part,  Some on here do it now. It would suck not being able to eat them but i know myself i would still be chasing trophy bucks.. But my minimum inches before killing may just have to be raised a few inches.

Just like people hunt coyotes and crows how many guys are actually eating them lol 

It's a sport 

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:
2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Typical? Not sure about that. TO THE INTERNET!!

Here is the NY list: https://www.nyantler-outdoors.com/record-whitetail-bucks.html

And here is a 30 point non-typical from Baldwinsville, over 200 shot with a crossbow at the end of 2016 season. I don't believe it ever got entered but the official green score was 227 5/8:

https://www.outdoornews.com/2017/02/13/late-season-crossbow-kill-30-point-monster-photo/

crossbowbuck.jpg

• Like 1

Here is the NY list: https://www.nyantler-outdoors.com/record-whitetail-bucks.html
And here is a 30 point non-typical from Baldwinsville, over 200 shot with a crossbow at the end of 2016 season. I don't believe it ever got entered but the official green score was 227 5/8:
https://www.outdoornews.com/2017/02/13/late-season-crossbow-kill-30-point-monster-photo/

crossbowbuck.jpg.df7e5984c320b8114762a31297ac4937.jpg

Thanks, yea 180 1/8”

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

I would be willing to bet that if all the deer in the country developed some disease that made the meat poisonous or really taste  bad  .

Shortly before you discovered this site, a poll was conducted which indicated that meat was more important than antlers, with those who were able to make up their minds, by more than a 2:1 ratio.   In the old days, meat was certainly more popular, but we did go though a period where antlers may have had an edge.  Thankfully, those days are behind us now.  That is indicated not only by that poll on this site, but also in the increasing polpularity of hunting shows like "Meateater" which stress the food aspect of hunting.   Since FSW's livelihood depends on antlers, it is easy to see why he gets so upset when confronted with the reality of the waning importance of them.     

Shortly before you discovered this site, a poll was conducted which indicated that meat was more important than antlers, with those who were able to make up their minds, by more than a 2:1 ratio.   In the old days, meat was certainly more popular, but we did go though a period where antlers may have had an edge.  Thankfully, those days are behind us now.  That is indicated not only by that poll on this site, but also in the increasing polpularity of hunting shows like "Meateater" which stress the food aspect of hunting.   Since FSW's livelihood depends on antlers, it is easy to see why he gets so upset when confronted with the reality of the waning importance of them.     

Yup that's why the deer world revolves around antlers. Just like this post right here. Do you see pic's of any of your little 4 and 6 pointers on here? Negative. All about the bone! And trust me. My livelihood will never be affected by some poll on a hunting site. My hood is affected by 200 inch whitetails. Well for the last 22 years anyways.

• Like 1

Do you see pic's of any of your little 4 and 6 pointers on here? Negative. All about the bone!

Survey says....XXX!

There have been plenty of pics of buttons, spikes, 4s, 6s, young 8s and every other LEGAL deer that a hunter DESIRED at that present moment.

Such radically definitive words (“any” “all”) typically hurt your case...not that you care what I or anyone else thinks of they don’t think like you.

Survey says....XXX!

There have been plenty of pics of buttons, spikes, 4s, 6s, young 8s and every other LEGAL deer that a hunter DESIRED at that present moment.

Such radically definitive words (“any” “all”) typically hurt your case...not that you care what I or anyone else thinks of they don’t think like you.

Yeah we see piles of threads and posts talking about those big 4 and 6's. See them all over every product sold in the hunting world. Hear all kinds of guys saying... Man I hope I get a nice 4 pointer in the morning. Or maybe see all those trail Cam pics of those nice spikes and 4's. Whatever. Most little deer killed are the after market of a hunter not seeing and killing the big buck he was waiting for with the hope to kill. Yup whatever you say.

Yeah we see piles of threads and posts talking about those big 4 and 6's. See them all over every product sold in the hunting world. Hear all kinds of guys saying... Man I hope I get a nice 4 pointer in the morning. Or maybe see all those trail Cam pics of those nice spikes and 4's. Whatever. Most little deer killed are the after market of a hunter not seeing and killing the big buck he was waiting for with the hope to kill. Yup whatever you say.

Oh so sorry I misread your post ...when you said there are no posts of small deer on this site that means “product marketing.” Way to change the discussion when you were wrong about what YOU said.
This should be fun!

32 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I think it's a little more complex then that in today's world 

Let me ask  you this could it be many are just being politically correct knowing that the none hunting public does not have a problem with meat hunting  and do not understand hunting for sport at all  or for the challenge of it . You go for the bigger older buck  for the challenge of it .

Meat is  a afterthought. 

I think if people would be honest it's not just the meat there after when they hunt . Hunting anything is  good time for people . It's in are DNA  really .

And for someone that  has no big deer in his area a small one becomes the trophy anyway .

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

Oh so sorry I misread your post ...when you said there are no posts of small deer on this site that means “product marketing.” Way to change the discussion when you were wrong about what YOU said.
This should be fun!

Wrong again fool because my statement of seeing any 4-6's on here meant this very thread. Did you see any words written saying anything about this site? Again this thread is about big deer. You in the right place?