New world record non typical

rob-c

The man works and has other interests, same as the majority of hunters. I know Im not willing to spend the time necessary to consistently kill big deer because I'd rather fish, hunt small game, archery, play golf etc. And that stuff all takes a backseat to a minimum of 15 weekends of my kids' activities. So I hunt deer as much as I can and am thrilled with whatever I kill. Every few years its a nice mature buck, most years it isnt and you will never hear me complain.

But to respond to your main point: Yes, every time I get in a stand I'm hoping to kill the biggest buck in the woods, no question

Finally!!!!! Honesty!!! Thank You! Glad there is at least one on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, crappyice said:

If you harvest your bucks(assuming two for the tags you have- 1st day of bow and then 1st day of gun) will you continue to hunt that season?

Oddly, this happened to me this year and I still hunted, but took it much less serious - slept in more, hunted more with others including my daughter.

Oddly, this happened to me this year and I still hunted, but took it much less serious - slept in more, hunted more with others including my daughter.

Ok. So, That shows you have no problem burning tags. Now would you have pulled the triggers if both bucks were basket 6 pointers?

1 minute ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Ok. So, That shows you have no problem burning tags. Now would you have pulled the triggers if both bucks were basket 6 pointers?

No the second one would have to be even bigger or I would pass ,  let someone else have a chance at it .

42 minutes ago, crappyice said:

First paragraph——Yes!!!

Second paragraph...question(no judgements!)
If you harvest your bucks(assuming two for the tags you have- 1st day of bow and then 1st day of gun) will you continue to hunt that season? Will TWO successful days afield satiate your need to be in the woods?

Oh hell no, I love hunting deer. I kill 4-5 each season and most years I do fill my buck tag opening day of gun. Bow season I try and hold out for a big buck but shoot the first doe I can

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Finally!!!!! Honesty!!! Thank You! Glad there is at least one on here.

But see how you still don't get it.  Of course not.  As I have said before of course we want to kill a big buck.  Duh x6.  But is the reason you hunt ....1 - antlers, 2 meat, 3 cause I enjoy hunting? For 99  percent it's still 3.  Cause no matter how big your antlers are if you don't enjoy hunting everyone but you wouldn't be out there.  I am sorry you just can't seem to grasp this.   There is no way I would spend 40 days in the woods hunting just for horns if I didn't enjoy the hunt itself. I just think your missing the forest for the trees here.  

A big buck is of course sought by everyone.  But people hunt because they enjoy it.  No different than any other hobby.  Do you bowl only to become professional or get a 300 score?  Do you play in a softball league only to win the league?  Do you ice fish only to catch a state record, do you ski only to do black diamond hills...... People hunt because they enjoy it.  And they don't "have to" have huge antlers to do this.  

But I will stop trying to pound a point into a rock.  Cause you wont get it cause you have a hard time seeing anyone's but your own opinion.  As yours is the only one that counts to you .  Which is fine .... To each their own.

Can't wait to be out hunting again, cause I sure look forward to it every year.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

You already know that I wouldn't.  I have said I prefer trying to target bigger bucks - so long as I don't loose sight of why I hunt.  The open season buck happened to be the specific buck I was targeting on that hunt - doesn't work that way often.  I also shot two does and was with others who shot does.  I like hunting no matter what.  Do I want to shoot bigger bucks, sure I do.  Is it the reason I hunt, nope.  I enjoy being out there.  

You know how many times in bow I hunted after killing my buck and a doe with no intent to kill anything?  Or how many days in gun season I sat knowing I wouldn't pull the trigger?  Quite a few.  Like you, I hunt areas where killing does is not all that hard but I left tags unfilled this year by choice.  Yet I still was out there.  Big bucks are NOT the only driving force for me.  There is more to it than that for me - perhaps not for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You already know that I wouldn't.  I have said I prefer trying to target bigger bucks - so long as I don't loose sight of why I hunt.  The open season buck happened to be the specific buck I was targeting on that hunt - doesn't work that way often.  I also shot two does and was with others who shot does.  I like hunting no matter what.  Do I want to shoot bigger bucks, sure I do.  Is it the reason I hunt, nope.  I enjoy being out there.  

You know how many times in bow I hunted after killing my buck and a doe with no intent to kill anything?  Or how many days in gun season I sat knowing I wouldn't pull the trigger?  Quite a few.  Like you, I hunt areas where killing does is not all that hard but I left tags unfilled this year by choice.  Yet I still was out there.  Big bucks are NOT the only driving force for me.  There is more to it than that for me - perhaps not for you.

Exactly. You can fill it in with any kind of fill you want but you were after the bigger set of antlers. Period. If it was just the hunt or just the meat you would kill the first buck thru!

Same stand, same time in the woods, everything would be the same except what's on top of the head of that deer. Why didn't you target a crotch or 6 pointer? When it comes to hunting Whitetail bucks hunters are after the bone. Period.

Not getting sucked in to your lunacy FSW.  If the point you are trying to make is that most people would prefer to kill a big buck vs a small buck, I agree.  If the point you are trying to make is that killing a big buck is the reason people hunt, I disagree - indeed my many days of sitting in a stand when I knew I couldn't do so puts my money where my mouth is.   My stance is clear to anyone with reasonable intelligence.  Leaving it at that! 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 3

Not getting sucked in to your lunacy FSW.  If the point you are trying to make is that most people would prefer to kill a big buck vs a small buck, I agree.  If the point you are trying to make is that killing a big buck is the reason people hunt, I disagree - indeed my many days of sitting in a stand when I knew I couldn't do so puts my money where my mouth is.   My stance is clear to anyone with reasonable intelligence.  Leaving it at that! 

I said from day one that antlers are the driving force in the Whitetail deer hunting world. Simple as that. And you just proved my point. You are no different then me and most hunters. They drive our every being of deer hunting from the way we hunt to where we hunt and everything In between.

So I had to take a break from this strong Fla. sun, checked out the site and wondered why this thread was 26 pages .

Sadly I found out .

Good news is I just brought my sister in law to the airport, she was here all last week, 4 of wife’s friends show up Tuesday ( 3 bed 2 bath but only 4 places to sit in living room .....) . At least I found the liquor and cigar shop near by .

4 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

I said from day one that antlers are the driving force in the Whitetail deer hunting world. Simple as that. And you just proved my point. You are no different then me and most hunters. They drive our every being of deer hunting from the way we hunt to where we hunt and everything In between.

well I did qualify it .... "reasonable intelligence" - which I actually think you have FSW but are choosing not to employ here.  Total context is important to understanding anything.  Picking and choosing selectively gives false results.

well I did qualify it .... "reasonable intelligence" - which I actually think you have FSW but are choosing not to employ here.  Total context is important to understanding anything.  Picking and choosing selectively gives false results.

But proven Fact trumps all.

First paragraph——Yes!!!

Second paragraph...question(no judgements!)
If you harvest your bucks(assuming two for the tags you have- 1st day of bow and then 1st day of gun) will you continue to hunt that season? Will TWO successful days afield satiate your need to be in the woods?

You could also harvest 2 bucks in Westchester. One with regular season one with bow tags. And both on the same day if you were so lucky

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

But proven Fact trumps all.

Ask yourself, why did moog continue to hunt after opening day in either bow or gun season since he was tagged out on bucks - antlers couldn't have been the driving force ..... hmmm ..... maybe there was some other reason - lol   Maybe your "Fact" is not a fact all.

I know, I know, you just can't comprehend.  Perhaps your view of the hunting world is tainted by your self interest in growing big racks.   Hard to remain objective when one is self interested.

Regardless - you shot some very nice bucks this season.  Congrats on fulfilling your only reason for being out there.  Now try playing nice with others and considering their point of view - you may just find you learn something new if you keep an open mind.

• Like 2

Ask yourself, why did moog continue to hunt after opening day in either bow or gun season since he was tagged out on bucks - antlers couldn't have been the driving force ..... hmmm ..... maybe there was some other reason - lol   Maybe your "Fact" is not a fact all.
I know, I know, you just can't comprehend.  Perhaps your view of the hunting world is tainted by your self interest in growing big racks.   Hard to remain objective when one is self interested.
Regardless - you shot some very nice bucks this season.  Congrats on fulfilling your only reason for being out there.  Now try playing nice with others and considering their point of view - you may just find you learn something new if you keep an open mind.

One could ask. Why did moog target a large antlered buck to begin with if he didn't care what buck filled his tag? If moog cares so much about only the experience why would he put all the work into locating, keeping track of and setting up in search of a larger antlered buck! Great land. Could sit about anywhere and see whitetails to harvest yet he targeted a larger one? I also continued to hunt with others after my buck tags were burned. But after I located, kept track of and killed the larger bucks I was after. Did I let many smaller walk. You bet ya. Why. Same reason you did. Antlers. You keep bringing up my business. Well that's just another fact in the big picture. I can't sell 100 inch deer but I can't make enough 180-300 inchers to supply the demand? Huh?

You know right in most NY state regulation  manuals   that they publish  that they give out each year there is usually a picture of a hunter with a buck in it  a lot of times on the front or back page . I don't think I ever seen one with a picture of a hunter posing  with his prize  spike or a doe  in it .

Edited by Storm914

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

This exactly..... Of course everyone would want the biggest and best of everything but the only reason to hunt no absolutely not. How many empty sits have we all have and still enjoyed it. I know I have.. If venison or wildlife was the only way to feed my family then yes first anything that walks by is down, also we’d probably starve to death 

This exactly..... Of course everyone would want the biggest and best of everything but the only reason to hunt no absolutely not. How many empty sits have we all have and still enjoyed it. I know I have.. If venison or wildlife was the only way to feed my family then yes first anything that walks by is down, also we’d probably starve to death 

Nobody ever once said,,,only reason to hunt. I said antlers are the biggest driver in the hunting world and that's a fact. I said hunters wake up every morning just praying the biggest beast walks past. That's a fact. Bone drives the hunting world. Period.

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

You know right in most NY state regulation  manuals   that they publish  that they give out each year there is usually a picture of a hunter with a buck in it  a lot of times on the front or back page . I don't think I ever seen one with a picture of a hunter posing  with his prize  spike or a doe  in it .

Well aside from ads these are the bucks I see that DEC included in the regulations guide. I don't see anything that is  unrealistic for NY or supports your comment. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

10 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Nobody ever once said,,,only reason to hunt. I said antlers are the biggest driver in the hunting world and that's a fact. I said hunters wake up every morning just praying the biggest beast walks past. That's a fact. Bone drives the hunting world. Period.

Actually this driving reason that got me out of bed this year didn't involve me even thinking I was going to be taking a big buck, or any deer for that matter. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

No that’s still incorrect and your not getting it. The biggest driver is the hunting experience and being part of the pursuit and then harvest second. Not antlers.. Antlers are the bonus not the driver. 

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

One could ask. Why did moog target a large antlered buck to begin with if he didn't care what buck filled his tag? If moog cares so much about only the experience why would he put all the work into locating, keeping track of and setting up in search of a larger antlered buck! Great land. Could sit about anywhere and see whitetails to harvest yet he targeted a larger one? I also continued to hunt with others after my buck tags were burned. But after I located, kept track of and killed the larger bucks I was after. Did I let many smaller walk. You bet ya. Why. Same reason you did. Antlers. You keep bringing up my business. Well that's just another fact in the big picture. I can't sell 100 inch deer but I can't make enough 180-300 inchers to supply the demand? Huh?

You're obsessed with antlers and have a business that caters to hunters obsessed with antlers.  I get it.  Your passion for antlers is clear for all to see and I find that admirable.  Successful people usually don't get that way by accident.  It takes passion and committment.

However, 26 pages into this thing and I am equally amazed that you cannot see or respect another hunters point of view.  We aren't all as obsessed with antlers as you are.  Moog has tried to convey that to no avail.  Personally, the hunt itself is why I'm out there; harvest or not.  I enjoy the brotherhood of hunting with friends and sharing in the harvest any of us is fortunate to make.  We don't drop the deer off with a butcher, we process those deer together from start to finish, making use of as much meat as possible.  Then, over the coming months, we'll enjoy fires, some beers and the many tasty varieties of that venison.  No one cares who shot what.  All of the stories are about the hunts themselves.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Well aside from ads these are the bucks I see that DEC included in the regulations guide. I don't see anything that is  unrealistic for NY or supports your comment. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

What comment ? Those are not does or spikes I see in your examples are they ?

Was just a observation .

Up to you to decide why it's like that .

Edited by Storm914