New Kill Light

I have been running my Wicked W403ic kill light for a couple of years now and love it. Now that I went with an ATN night vision scope, I figured I would slim things down from running my red kill light and IR I tesifier on my rifle to a light that could do the job of both. I picked up a Wicked A67ir, which can go from a red light to 2 different types of IR lights. This way I can ditch the small IR intensifier that my ATN scope came with, and take advantage of the further range that the Wicked IR light provides, plus have the ability to use the red light for scanning,etc. One thing I really like is the new adjustable mount this light came with. The one and only complaint I have had with my red scan light has been the mount. The adjustability is great, but the old Wicked mount moves around a lot if you bump it, so I was readjusting it all the time. The new Gen 3 mount is still adjustable, but once it’s set, it’s rock solid. No more adjusting my kill light every set. In addition, it’s quick detach, so it would be easy to swap between guns or remove from my rifle when I’m day hunting or just out shooting. I would highly recommend anyone that’s using their older mount, to ditch it and pick up one of the Gen 3 mounts. You won’t regret it. 

I also got got one of Wicked’s grip setups for my W403ic so that I can use it for a hand held scanning light. Now I’m all set with what I need for myself and a hunting partner to get out for a night and my rifle isn’t quite as bulky anymore. 

AE1DF3A9-9389-4F1A-88CF-D697A3136C1F.jpeg

F0329D64-8A45-4056-A92F-30CF3C23CB68.jpeg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, helmut in the bush said:

How's the scope working out?

It works pretty well. I still Have to mess with it a bit though. I’m having issues being able to clearly identify things at night here and there, but I think with some tweaking I can get there. I’m going to take it out once it gets dark and get the IR light set how I want It and try to fiddle with the focus on the scope a little before I head Out to hunt later on. 

Cool, John...I don't go out on frigid nights anymore,  but I still remember a night about  40 years ago when my buddy and I killed 8 grey foxes in one night....We were just using a hand held  red light, powered by a 12 volt car battery ( carried by my Big BuddY Bill)   and a  45 rpm record player....Shooting  my 20 gauge SKB double with 3" #4 shot... We got home at 4 AM...I had to be at work the next morning  at 8:00 AM.....I took a nap at lunchtime and then had 8 foxes to skin when I got home after work...

Of course, the GOOD part was that grey foxes were bringing $50  each at that time..Reds were $75, but we never killed many reds, mostly greys...Nobody had ever seen a coyote around here at that time..

Good hunting. My Friend  !!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Cool, John...I don't go out on frigid nights anymore,  but I still remember a night about  40 years ago when my buddy and I killed 8 grey foxes in one night....We were just using a hand held  red light, powered by a 12 volt car battery ( carried by my Big BuddY Bill)   and a  45 rpm record player....Shooting  my 20 gauge SKB double with 3" #4 shot... We got home at 4 AM...I had to be at work the next morning  at 8:00 AM.....I took a nap at lunchtime and then had 8 foxes to skin when I got home after work...

Of course, the GOOD part was that grey foxes were bringing $50  each at that time..Reds were $75, but we never killed many reds, mostly greys...Nobody had ever seen a coyote around here at that time..

Good hunting. My Friend  !!

It’s crazy how far things have come. When a buddy of mine introduced me to night hunting, we had red rechargeable spotlights that weighed a lot and only lasted for 30 mins or so, a cheap e caller that worked off of these memory cards with 6 calls on each. The sound quality was not that great, but they were smaller to carry than the old Johnny Walker call he had. He ran an AR with a cheap scope and I had a Remington 700 in 223 with a 26” bull barrel and a decent scope. We killed a bunch of red fox that year, sold the round furs for about enough to cover gas. It was fun. 

Now im running night vision and lights that last for hours and are relatively small and light. My e-caller has a ton of sounds on it, a remote, sound quality is way better and it lasts for a long time. Hopefully I can put some fur on the ground this year, even though it won’t be worth much of anything. Fur prices suck now. Still lots of fun. 

• Like 2

I just Came back in from getting the IR setup. Man, what a difference over the other IR light or the red kill light. I can See very clearly with it. I was Able to get to about 200 yards looking down our private road and it was clear as a bell after adjusting the focus on the scope a bit and playing with the light settings. I’m sure I’ll be able to see 500-600 yards out in an open field. I know A couple of great spots to go call tonight. Haven’t hit them yet this year and the wind looks to be perfect for them, though I wish It was blowing a bit more. It’s very still and quiet out there tonight. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The sound quality was not that great, but they were smaller to carry than the old Johnny Walker call he had.

Using a Johnny Walker call, the one where you drink all the Johnny Walker and then yell into the bottle? 

:)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I have been running my Wicked W403ic kill light for a couple of years now and love it. Now that I went with an ATN night vision scope, I figured I would slim things down from running my red kill light and IR I tesifier on my rifle to a light that could do the job of both. I picked up a Wicked A67ir, which can go from a red light to 2 different types of IR lights. This way I can ditch the small IR intensifier that my ATN scope came with, and take advantage of the further range that the Wicked IR light provides, plus have the ability to use the red light for scanning,etc. One thing I really like is the new adjustable mount this light came with. The one and only complaint I have had with my red scan light has been the mount. The adjustability is great, but the old Wicked mount moves around a lot if you bump it, so I was readjusting it all the time. The new Gen 3 mount is still adjustable, but once it’s set, it’s rock solid. No more adjusting my kill light every set. In addition, it’s quick detach, so it would be easy to swap between guns or remove from my rifle when I’m day hunting or just out shooting. I would highly recommend anyone that’s using their older mount, to ditch it and pick up one of the Gen 3 mounts. You won’t regret it. 

I also got got one of Wicked’s grip setups for my W403ic so that I can use it for a hand held scanning light. Now I’m all set with what I need for myself and a hunting partner to get out for a night and my rifle isn’t quite as bulky anymore. 

AE1DF3A9-9389-4F1A-88CF-D697A3136C1F.jpeg

F0329D64-8A45-4056-A92F-30CF3C23CB68.jpeg

That setup makes me feel funny.  In my pants.

• Haha 3