Homemade sausage

NYBowhunter

Heres the recipe and procedures i take to make dry sausage. These ingredients will make 20lbs. 

10 lbs  ground  venison and  10 lbs of grounnd fatty pork. Place meat in large tub and mix well. Once the two meats are mixed well add  1 cup of soy protein powder,  1 cup of red wine, 4 teaspoons of prague powder ( disolve the prague powder in wine and pour over meat), 2 teaspoons of suger, 8 oz of non iodized salt (disolve in 1/2 cup of water and pour over meat).the following ingtedients are not measured, i just add by eyeing it and by taste preference:

black pepper, crushed red pepper, garlic powder,  fennel seed and paprika.. once all liquids and spices are added to meat mix again very thoroughly.  Once done, place in fridge overnight for everything to absorb into the meat. At this time you should also have on hand pig natural casings to make 25lbs of sausage. Take casing out of package (they are usually packed heavy with salt and are not plyable at this point) soak in a bowl of warm water for a half hour and then thoroughly clean each casing (inside and out) with warm water. Once they are cleaned i place them in a conntainer filled with a 50/50 water and vinegar and set that in fridge overnight as well.

Whenever your ready pack the meat in casings, cut to length you want and tie off each end  with butchers rope. Ensure that you pop any air pockets in casings.

Once all done, hang casings in smoker for 12 hours with temp set to 160 degrees.  After 12 hours take  the links out and give them a cold bath to stop them from cooking any further. Make sure once cooled down that they are completely dried off before hanging.  Before i hang them i like to poke holes in each link with a sausage pricker so that air can penetrate the casings. Hang in a cool dry place for 4-6 weeks or until they dry out (become hard).

You can also make  fresh sausage for cooking using the above same method, minus the prague powder, no need to smoke and no need to hang them

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I've made a lot of sausage but never dried and aged any.  I am guessing this comes out like a pepperoni consistency?  And what temp do they hang in?  

Its actually much  firmer then a pepperoni,  its the same firmness of dried sausage that you would  typically get from an italian specialty shop. I hang them in my patio which this time  of year will range below 50 degrees .  The patio does have heat but is uninsulated  and has windows on three sides. I can open windows and get similar temps as the outside. To dry the sausage it needs to be hung in an area that is cool and dry.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Never mind I just saw it. Can you use synthetic casings for this, or is natural better?

Yes, when i first began making dried sausage i used an edible colligan casing , i believe it was 21mm  (ensure to get the edible type because they also make non-edible casings) and they came out great. This time i wanted to make a wider dry sausage so i went with natural hog casings,  LEM puts out a great product, packaged well and casings are seperated. As a side note the edible colligan casings are much sturdier to work with, dont have to be cleaned and overall much easier to work with for someone doing this for the first time. Heres a picture of when i made the dry sausage with the colligan casings.

20190115_063534.jpg

• Like 2

Also want to make mention that because i smoke my sausage for 12 hours at 160 degrees the sausage is basically a cooked product before i even hang it  hence the dry time is alot less then if you would hang a raw sausage. The dry time can be less then 4 weeks, depending on air temp. and humidity levels, you just need to monitor the firmness.  

On 1/13/2019 at 1:06 PM, NYBowhunter said:

I posted recipe few times on here, if you cant locate let me know. They are now hanging for about 4-6 weeks.

20190113_130212.jpg

that's the reason for the drying period? I've read things about guys dunking them in an ice bath right out of the smoker as well. Do you do that?

1 minute ago, Belo said:

that's the reason for the drying period? I've read things about guys dunking them in an ice bath right out of the smoker as well. Do you do that?

I have used an ice bath and have also left them in the smoker to cool down if the temps outside is real cold, the purpose of that is to stop them from cooking any further.  The reason for the drying period is to create the dry sausage, basically drying the meat to get a firm italian dry sausage. 

1 minute ago, NYBowhunter said:

I have used an ice bath and have also left them in the smoker to cool down if the temps outside is real cold, the purpose of that is to stop them from cooking any further.  The reason for the drying period is to create the dry sausage, basically drying the meat to get a firm italian dry sausage. 

ok yeah i'm sorry i read that after i posted. I'm not a dry sausage guy (yeah haha) so I'm not sure I'd go that route. What kind of smoker are you using?

44 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Thanks for the info. I dont have a smoker, but I assume I can use the oven as a substitute?

I guess you could but the purpose of me using the smoker is two fold, to cook the meat to speed up the drying period  without burning the casings and also to infuse a smokey taste. Using an oven i would imagine will burn the casings, which you want to avoid. The smoker doesn't burn the casings, it just cooks them by heat/smoke.