What kind of Smoker?

Five Seasons

Right now I have this good starter smoker. Charcoal, no temp control very basic. Looking to step my game up and a little overwhelmed with the types and price range. I'm also in the market for a new gas grill and was going to try and get a natrual gas hookup on the deck and initially I'm not seeing a good 2 for 1 option out there and that's ok.

Anyhow, my goal is to be able to easily control and monitor my meats and wanting to stay under $300, but will spend more if it's really, really worth it. 

I like the idea of pellet or electric but concerned the electric wont give me the smoke I'm wanting. I should mention my desire is to smoke summer sausage, snack sticks and the occasional bbq. I'm sure I would smoke more frequently if the process was easier than my charcoal deal.

1 minute ago, Belo said:

Right now I have this good starter smoker. Charcoal, no temp control very basic. Looking to step my game up and a little overwhelmed with the types and price range. I'm also in the market for a new gas grill and was going to try and get a natrual gas hookup on the deck and initially I'm not seeing a good 2 for 1 option out there and that's ok.

Anyhow, my goal is to be able to easily control and monitor my meats and wanting to stay under $300, but will spend more if it's really, really worth it. 

I like the idea of pellet or electric but concerned the electric wont give me the smoke I'm wanting. I should mention my desire is to smoke summer sausage, snack sticks and the occasional bbq. I'm sure I would smoke more frequently if the process was easier than my charcoal deal.

electric gives all the smoke you need or want, especially if you add the Amaz-n pellet tray.  Its what many guys, myself included, use with a masterbuilt electric.  The benefit of electric is keeping constant temps.  The Amaz-n tray with pellets will smoke for 14hrs straight.  Its a great set up if you want to set it and forget it.

Electric smoker will provide as little or as much smoke one could want. I smoke sausage for 12 hours and Jerky for 18 and its gives off smoke the entire time. Best part is the one i have has a digital display where you set temps and time and also has an on and off button for an internal light, in addition to a mounterld temp. Probe with a wire lead. It makes smoking a no brainer, program and walk away. No babysitting iinvolved. I have the masterbuilt electric with digital display. 

i've seen some mixed reviews on the materbuilt's but heard you can modify them to work better. I don't mind a little babysitting, that was kind of fun in the summer while hanging by the pool, but hated that i couldn't control the temp really well. 

this is basically the type i have now

017704bf-e1f9-4d9f-a41e-7f928969cf81_1.a

7 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

My Masterbuilt lasted three smokes, and then I googled it and found that I was not alone and that there was no fix for it so it went to the curb. I like your idea of a gas hookup so why not have a gas grill/smoker that utilizes it

I had one that a previous owner had at our old house and loved it. It's a lot more convenient. Anyhow, doesn't seem like there's one out there. I have a ng compatible grill in mind but they aren't cheap. What I'm seeing is that the combo deals basically use charcoal in the side box, so I'm still left with charcoal smoke (which btw tastes fantastic), it's just a lot more work. If somebody knows of one, let me know and I'll report back if I find one. I'm more than willing to spend good coin if I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

edit to say that I suppose I could buy separate dedicated units and use the same hookup. Again not sure how effective, and if anyone likes their propane smoker.

Edited by Belo

I had one that a previous owner had at our old house and loved it. It's a lot more convenient. Anyhow, doesn't seem like there's one out there. I have a ng compatible grill in mind but they aren't cheap. What I'm seeing is that the combo deals basically use charcoal in the side box, so I'm still left with charcoal smoke (which btw tastes fantastic), it's just a lot more work. If somebody knows of one, let me know and I'll report back if I find one. I'm more than willing to spend good coin if I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
edit to say that I suppose I could buy separate dedicated units and use the same hookup. Again not sure how effective, and if anyone likes their propane smoker.

I have a NG grill with a smoker tray on the inside. It’s 100% useless... and yes NG grills are stupid expensive but it is great to never have to worry about going out to get propane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk