204 ruger

Are any of you predator  hunters  using 204 ruger for  yotes.  I'm sited in with 39 gr blitskings.  All this predator  hunting threads thinking I would like to get back at it some time soon . I do have 243 ,270,308. They all shoot well but the 204 is so accurate   it's almost not fair. Shot this at 150 yds  4 shot group

20180818_123420.jpg

20180818_123433.jpg

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 8

Nice shooting!

Everything I've read about the Ruger 204 has been mostly positive. Reloading it, seems to be a minor issue though.

I'm saving up again for an AR platform. 204 is definitely a consideration. 

Edited by grampy

Nice shooting, I think its a great rig, just avoid the shoulder if possible! Id think a younger yote would cripple it but a bigger animal may take it and run... I could be wrong. 

My grandfather won a 204 this year in TC Compass.. He will be taking it with me this winter. 

There are basically two groups of hunters that pursue varmints (Fox-Bobcat-Coyotes), one group hunts mostly for sport, fun and to keep varmint numbers in check. The firearms this group uses is an almost anything goes mindset. All calibers and weapon types come into play,  bolt actions to deluxe outfitted AR platforms, just about every so called varmint cartridge from the old 222 Rem on up to the 25-06 Rem and everything in between. I see in my current varmint hunting magazine the 6.5 Creedmoor  has some advocates.

The other group of hunters I would classify as "fur hunters", their weapons and ammo are somewhat specialized with the main concern was obtaining the most killing power but in turn causing the least amount of damage to the hide. A now defunct message board I belonged to aptly called the "Coyote Gods" were in the "Fur Friendly" cartridge crowd. This bunch consisted mostly of hunters located in the southwest and these guys were really good at what they did. Almost to a man they favored the 17 Remington, their reasoning was simple, good long range capability, small bullet entry hole and no exit hole with good killing power = a good hide with almost zero damage that retained maximum value. It would be hard to argue against their point as they stacked up varmints like cordwood with minimal damage to hides, as the old saying goes "proof in the pudding". 

Getting back to the OP's post about the 204 Ruger, with the right bullet loaded I believe it would be in a similar category to the 17 Remington, a very effective and  fur friendly varmint cartridge.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

There are basically two groups of hunters that pursue varmints (Fox-Bobcat-Coyotes), one group hunts mostly for sport, fun and to keep varmint numbers in check. The firearms this group uses is an almost anything goes mindset. All calibers and weapon types come into play,  bolt actions to deluxe outfitted AR platforms, just about every so called varmint cartridge from the old 222 Rem on up to the 25-06 Rem and everything in between. I see in my current varmint hunting magazine the 6.5 Creedmoor  has some advocates.
The other group of hunters I would classify as "fur hunters", their weapons and ammo are somewhat specialized with the main concern was obtaining the most killing power but in turn causing the least amount of damage to the hide. A now defunct message board I belonged to aptly called the "Coyote Gods" were in the "Fur Friendly" cartridge crowd. This bunch consisted mostly of hunters located in the southwest and these guys were really good at what they did. Almost to a man they favored the 17 Remington, their reasoning was simple, good long range capability, small bullet entry hole and no exit hole with good killing power = a good hide with almost zero damage that retained maximum value. It would be hard to argue against their point as they stacked up varmints like cordwood with minimal damage to hides, as the old saying goes "proof in the pudding". 
Getting back to the OP's post about the 204 Ruger, with the right bullet loaded I believe it would be in a similar category to the 17 Remington, a very effective and  fur friendly varmint cartridge.
Al
As the market stands now on fur, might as well use a 458 socom.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

At this time it's about killing varmints... not even remotely  interested in handling the furs at this time . Wouldn't even know what a prime is worth these days. 

Heard one barking down the creek bottom this morning 5 :30am  . Haven't heard a one all winter until this morning.

6 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

A buddy i hunt with uses a 204. Like any cartridge depending what it hits, it could be a dinky hole in and out or a large exit. He shot a fox saturday night that it messed up pretty good.

Its definitely  a zippy round . I could always load a heavey  for bullet and slow it down  if I was worried about fur. But then again I just buy another gun ...:derisive:

• Like 1