NY Limo Ban coming?

WNYBuckHunter

17 minutes ago, rob-c said:

So if you were a mechanic , then you know any and all vehicles require preventative  maintenance,  some  more than others.  if a vehicle fails inspection it’s the vehicles fault ? You still didn’t answer my question, why should a honest carrier have to give up his limo that he maintaines, because of one dishonest operator? 

And please by all means enlighten me on all the problems limos have, since my head is up my ass.. 

After reading your childish respons to all the posts your a typical liberal, you have nothing, so you resort to name calling. 

And an honest limo operator is a stretch, your lucky to even pronounce the names of most limo company owners.. And I have nothing against stock limos, it's the stretch limos we're discussing here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sits in trees said:

You Like these stretch coffins, then put your whole family in one and see what happens when a Ford F-250 t-bones it at 45 mph. Those things snap in half like pretzel sticks. I believe in public safety over some middle eastern business owners right to make a profit. The majority of these limo outfits are run by dingbats who are masters at slipping crap past DOT, combined that with a thin sheet metal unibody over extended sheet metal beer can and you get the results you'd expect.

First let’s be realistic, almost any vehicle would not fair well being t- boned by a 250/ 2500 series on up truck. I am from around the finger lakes and many of the small school bus contractors also run some sort of stretched limo service over the summer for wine tours. The few I know are honest and run a clean operation, so yes I wouldn’t hesitate to rent one from them. But they should suffer because of others being dishonest ?  

And your answer as to the many problems with stretch limos is based on emotion again. Since you said you worked for Chevy (as a mechanic?) I assumed you were going to give me some of your first hand experiences working on stretch limos as to the many problems they have. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jdubs said:

The current laws need teeth to put the scumbags out of business, but some of these proposals would surely put even the reputable employers out of business.  Specifically,

1. Requiring a CDL with passenger endorsement for driving any limo capable of carrying 8 or more people.  A typical stretch limo carries 10 passengers and the driver only needs a Class E license.  I would imagine that most chauffeurs could not or would not achieve a CDL to drive such vehicles thus leading to large job losses.

2. Eliminate the seatbelts exemption.  Really?  How would this be enforced?  Are they going to ticket all the passengers or just the driver if any of the passengers refuse to comply?  This is absurd.  

3. $120 fee per DOT inspection.  Ridiculous money grab by the state.  That would cost the carriers $240 per vehicle per year and adds to an already high cost of doing business in NY.  This money would be better spent on vehicle maintenance and ultimately would be passed into passengers anyway.

The Schoharie crash was absolutely horrific and never should have happened.  Is the solution really to wipe out all of the reputable carriers?  To implement all of Cuomo's new regulations would have a great impact on future safe rides routinely given to wedding parties, prom kids and groups who want to go out and have a good time without worrying about drinking and driving.

So what about SUVs that can seat 8 people? If our Expedition had the bench seat in the middle row, it would be 8 passenger. Would you need a CDL for that?

Too much grey area and nonsense. Just another poorly thought out knee jerk, reactionary proposal. It doesnt even make sense, as it wouldnt have saved anyone that day.

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

So what about SUVs that can seat 8 people? If our Expedition had the bench seat in the middle row, it would be 8 passenger. Would you need a CDL for that?

Too much grey area and nonsense. Just another poorly thought out knee jerk, reactionary proposal. It doesnt even make sense, as it wouldnt have saved anyone that day.

no its only "for Hire" vehicles.  They have a designated insurance card needed for these to be for hire.  Regular vehicles wont be changed 

• Like 1

it's not all bad but neither was the SafeAct. overall both are garbage and wouldn't have changed what happened.  limos are already expensive, costs of doing business are just going to create higher rates.  it's likely to lead to more of a chance of driving while under the influence whether lit or not, slightly impaired is sometimes enough.

4 hours ago, sits in trees said:

You Like these stretch coffins, then put your whole family in one and see what happens when a Ford F-250 t-bones it at 45 mph. Those things snap in half like pretzel sticks. I believe in public safety over some middle eastern business owners right to make a profit. The majority of these limo outfits are run by dingbats who are masters at slipping crap past DOT, combined that with a thin sheet metal unibody over extended sheet metal beer can and you get the results you'd expect.

Limos are full frame construction. You have no clue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Exactly this^^^^^^

Way to many laws (not just this one) that are laws for the sake of making laws. 

What about all the Laws that were already broken with that limo, company, driver etc. 

3 hours ago, rob-c said:

First let’s be realistic, almost any vehicle would not fair well being t- boned by a 250/ 2500 series on up truck. I am from around the finger lakes and many of the small school bus contractors also run some sort of stretched limo service over the summer for wine tours. The few I know are honest and run a clean operation, so yes I wouldn’t hesitate to rent one from them. But they should suffer because of others being dishonest ?  

And your answer as to the many problems with stretch limos is based on emotion again. Since you said you worked for Chevy (as a mechanic?) I assumed you were going to give me some of your first hand experiences working on stretch limos as to the many problems they have. 

I dont think he was a mechanic. Doesn't seem to have enough common sense to know how to lift a car safely. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sits in trees said:

No your nuts, are in your mouth Dimwit. Never seen more "yep I'mz a mechanic" than on this forum. Probably all working with harbor freight tools and husky tool boxes...

I absolutely guarantee without a doubt I can out work you with only using harbour freight tools and you can have what ever brand you think makes you a better mechanic . I won't even use a tool box, I'll keep everything in a 5 gallon bucket.

• Like 1

The typical SUV (Cadillac Escalade, for example) used for livery is rated a 6 passenger.  However, the common Mercedes sprinter van would be an 8 passenger and it's ridiculous to think drivers should be required to have a CDL with passenger endorsement to drive one.

You're right on, nothing will ever bring those 20 people back.  On top of that, the investigation isn't even completed yet.  This proposal likely has more to do with the Princess feeling the heat from the families who also blame DOT for the way that intersection was reconfigured.  

• Like 1

Sits in now on permanent vacation. Now he will have more time to snuggle with his buddy Andy.

Good call, thank you, I know I can look the other way, and chose not to open such threads, but the individual was truly belittling, and an eye sore here.  

19 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Good call, thank you, I know I can look the other way, and chose not to open such threads, but the individual was truly belittling, and an eye sore here.  

He was like every lefty I have tried to have a civil conversation with. Didn't agree, had no argument and would just call names. 

I would actually like to have a conversation with someone knowledgeable at some point that can at least explain how their way of thinking makes sense. Most of the people on this site have different idea's but for the most part it seems anyway that we lean right. Some more than others. Nobody resorted to calling @moog5050 names when he was making his argument for not building the wall. I don't agree but I can see his side. 

8 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

He was like every lefty I have tried to have a civil conversation with. Didn't agree, had no argument and would just call names. 

I would actually like to have a conversation with someone knowledgeable at some point that can at least explain how their way of thinking makes sense. Most of the people on this site have different idea's but for the most part it seems anyway that we lean right. Some more than others. Nobody resorted to calling @moog5050 names when he was making his argument for not building the wall. I don't agree but I can see his side. 

I hear you, everyone has an opinion, etc, but the individual just seemed to rile people up for pleasure.  That’s ignorable, but the name calling to that degree, is just too much.  We don’t need the dirty gestures like that used in such ways that were displayed.  Oh well, just my opinions, its almost 3:30 :pardon: