Goose road trip - 1Q19

goosifer

So I am on a six week road trip with the Mrs. Taking an 11-day cruise to the Panama canal and them bumming around Florida for about 4 weeks. I'd like to share some of my adventures, I'm just that kind of guy. But rather than clutter up the General Chit Chat forum with random posts, I thought it might be a good idea to post about my trip in this one thread. Hopefully I will post something funny or entertaining at some point.

• Like 9

Day 1 (Monday 1/14)

Drove via Victor and Bristol down into PA. Thought of @WNYBuckHunter when driving along Canandaigua Lake. Drove by the grape pies place in Naples. In PA, stopped at Coleman's military surplus store. It was a bit of a bust. Dimly lit warehouse with overpriced military surplus. Did find a wool neck gaiter/tube scarf for $5. Made it to Gettysburg, PA for the night. Never been there before, but it's cool to be in such a historic place. Our hotel had a civil war cannon in the lobby. Had a nice dinner at Ruby Tuesday

y4m2ojf1GN1ORO8UErVQ4seDeK2nNjm71Xzw20ZQ

ruby-tuesday.jpg&f=1

Day 2 (Tuesday 1/15)

Hit the road at 8:00. Listened to the attorney general senate committee testimony all day. When you listen to the news soundbites afterwards, you really see how biased the media can be. Had an awesome lunch at Country Cookin restaurant in Virginia. Mind-bogglingly cheap with a nice soup, salad, sides and dessert bar. Had a not so great dinner at Waffle House in Fayettesville, NC.

thb_16_1406730187_sign_only-386x262.jpgScreen_20shot_202013-07-15_20at_2012.09.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Have fun! If you drove down past Bristol Mtn, you were right around the corner from me. I live about 2 miles away from the Dandy mart (used to be the Bristol Store) on 64.

We did, saw the ski runs. I had a feeling we were close to where you hunted and or lived. Can't imagine the traffic that road gets on a skiing weekend.

3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Should have stopped in Sutton's in Naples......and the Redwood.

Noted for next time. Thanks. Noticed the Redwood Restaurant on the drive. 

I've been working on talking Mrs. Goose into renting a place on Canandaigua Lake for a week during hunting season, but she doesn't want to be stuck without a car all day while I hunt. I said, what's if its a cute, walkable small town with a liquor store? She's thinking about it . . . .

• Like 1

Day 1 (Monday 1/14)
Drove via Victor and Bristol down into PA. Thought of [mention=8]WNYBuckHunter[/mention] when driving along Canandaigua Lake. Drove by the grape pies place in Naples. In PA, stopped at Coleman's military surplus store. It was a bit of a bust. Dimly lit warehouse with overpriced military surplus. Did find a wool neck gaiter/tube scarf for $5. Made it to Gettysburg, PA for the night. Never been there before, but it's cool to be in such a historic place. Our hotel had a civil war cannon in the lobby. Had a nice dinner at Ruby Tuesday
y4m2ojf1GN1ORO8UErVQ4seDeK2nNjm71Xzw20ZQLXLlijDDYEJHlQFdOUC_7wB7rcVF3fBholxi_acywxLcsubntFk3nkMSFc11Jd7ESBtwfuq9Hp3gqY5tsCYKBDxkdpFgz6-SYidauA9XbeAcYXGHyq_kXq5hGNMa4G9qmQ7Nudpr-x50-wMP9uh07lpleHZuPAlRd0AGP_xOhy_3QgBXQ?width=660%26height=495%26cropmode=none&key=dc1595a329fd2b0b7f1cfef50e673ec5ad99ddd02a5a1972bba6d3c6a45ed5bf
ruby-tuesday.jpg%26f=1&key=b0fa707bd83449d54bf5236e4a19686a69d208948067fae21beed86cb9b72097
Day 2 (Tuesday 1/15)
Hit the road at 8:00. Listened to the attorney general senate committee testimony all day. When you listen to the news soundbites afterwards, you really see how biased the media can be. Had an awesome lunch at Country Cookin restaurant in Virginia. Mind-bogglingly cheap with a nice soup, salad, sides and dessert bar. Had a not so great dinner at Waffle House in Fayettesville, NC.
thb_16_1406730187_sign_only-386x262.jpg&key=26007b7d46c8833ea1463ca20e25163da1891faa266433c7e4f79f86749cf21dScreen_20shot_202013-07-15_20at_2012.09.33_20AM.0.png%26f=1&key=8e2915b7114dc1ee7b5cf214e30e451ed208b408ce3f21a08861e70e0f608e32
Pics of the cannon!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Day 3 (1/16)

Drove from Fayetteville, NC to Daytona Beach today. Had a good lunch at Shoney's.

y4mZtgUGgL3rR2-lq-bjuFHHk-HfC4TLjYENM6SL

I tell ya, South Carolina has the friendliest and most polite people you will ever meet. But driving through it on I-95 is monotonous and boring.

y4mmPRV_pyt-d8Fl3l3oUpIR6WUzU_2yMoaaVLlD

The drive through Georgia was uneventful. Then we drove into sunny Florida

y4mqBqsZj0Rwx-ys4iKS06hzUjO8L0gGCsbcTfQg

where everybody is going 10+ miles over the speed limit of 70, and no one's turn signals are working. Mrs. Goose let me drive for most of that action. Made it to Daytona Beach and drove by the race track.

y4m3iJSwoMwTfouH9OMAwXe9-v-GUAT1NEBDN1r9

After checking into the hotel, we had dinner at a restaurant called Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen

y4mBkynrpmCYIjLldqLLqQ_-TlQ5mu29pnHh2zNY

Homestyle comfort food. But the attention grabber on the menu was their signature drink called "The Painkiller". Limit 2 per person. Mrs. Goose had to have one. She let me have a taste.

y4mTzScoWJDu_5QMnpkB16_XFYcU5-eo1YRm4EwG

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Start checking out the local restaurants, forget those chains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We are in road travel mode, so playing it safe with restaurants that are near the exits. After the cruise, when we are in cities for 4-5 days at a time, we can be more adventurous. Hope to have some stone crabs soon.

After the cruise, we will be in Naples, Ft. Myers, St. Petersburg, St. Augustine and Savannah, GA. Any recommendations?

Edited by goosifer

We are in road travel mode, so playing it safe with restaurants that are near the exits. After the cruise, when we are in cities for 4-5 days at a time, we can be more adventurous. Hope to have some stone crabs soon.
After the cruise, we will be in Naples, Ft. Myers, St. Petersburg, St. Augustine and Savannah, GA. Any recommendations?

East coast Florida I could help, but idk much on the west coast. For Savannah, Olde Pink House. Touristy but pretty cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1