Couple Of Articles From Outdoor News

Steve D

Winter wonder: A wolf, a deer and the Stony River

January 8, 2019

Copyright2019HeidiPinkerton_StandstillAl

Babbitt, Minn.-based photographer Heidi Pinkerton was driving in northeastern Minnesota near Isabella on Jan. 5 when she saw a deer standing in the Stony River.

“Fifteen years of photographing wildlife had me turn around in a heartbeat. I knew for a fact that a deer would not just stand in icy cold water for no reason at all. And even though I didn’t make out the wolf on the first pass, it was certainly there when I pressed the shutter!” she said.

After returning to her car to retrieve a longer lens, the wolf slipped away. Pinkerton said the deer stood in the river for another hour before making its way back to shore

DATING APP CHAT DOES IN POACHER

Game warden catches poacher via dating app

An Oklahoma woman looking for love got more than she bargained for when she unwittingly shared her exhilaration about illegally shooting a “bigo buck” on a dating app with a state game warden.

Oklahoma Game Warden Cannon Harrison said he uncovered the poaching in a conversation on Bumble with a McIntosh County woman. She talked about using a spotlight to shoot the deer at night, outside the rifle season. The woman harvested only the head and back-strap meat — and she sent Harrison pictures as proof.

The woman has pleaded guilty to charges of improper possession of an illegally taken animal and taking game out-of-season. She and an accomplice face $2,400 fines.

• Like 2