Used

Where do you all look for a used 4wheeler. its only purpose if for yard work, hauling wood and a cart i guess. He is an older guy and on a very tight tight budget. I fugured someone on here knew something. Thanks

Edited by Paula

I got my used Honda off Craigslist. It takes a little while and some phone calls and then a few test runs/kick the tire.....

Patience is a virtue but when you see a deal move on it. Lots of overpriced stuff too but always offer less. Everyone puts a price higher than their bottom.

• Like 1

I was going to suggest CL too.  For what he will be using it for, a two wheel drive machine will work. And they don't cost as much as a four wheel drive.

A lawn/garden tractor would possibly work for those chores too. And can be found for a bit less money. I have a 1- 7/8 inch ball mounted on my lawn tractor for pulling a small trailer. Works great!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

I was going to suggest CL too.  For what he will be using it for, a two wheel drive machine will work. And they don't cost as much as a four wheel drive.

A lawn/garden tractor would possibly work for those chores too. And can be found for a bit less money. I have a 1- 7/8 inch ball mounted on my lawn tractor for pulling a small trailer. Works great!

He needs to take it into the wet woods to haul downed trees 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paula said:

Wow, I had no idea on prices of these things. This is the only one in price range. https://rochester.craigslist.org/snw/d/hilton-88-polaris-250-4x4-on-demand-atv/6747349121.html

Wait till spring and there will be a poop load listed on Craigslist. As others have said 2wd will be sufficient, brands I would recommend are Honda, yamaha and Suzuki in no particular order. Something in the 250 to 300 cc range would be ideal for price and size. 

• Like 1

Wow, I had no idea on prices of these things. This is the only one in price range. https://rochester.craigslist.org/snw/d/hilton-88-polaris-250-4x4-on-demand-atv/6747349121.html

I am always looking at craigs list. I assume from that ad his budget is around $1000. It is going to be tough finding a decent 4 wheeler for that price range but it can be done. This would probably work for him and looks fairly decent. Tough to tell without actually looking at them.

https://albany.craigslist.org/snw/d/salisbury-center-01-prairie-300-4x4/6793773142.html

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paula said:

He needs to take it into the wet woods to haul downed trees 

He should still be able to find a late 90’s to early 2000’s 4wd atv  in the $1000 price range if he stays in the 250 to 350 cc size. That Polaris you showed was priced a little high . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rob-c said:

He should still be able to find a late 90’s to early 2000’s 4wd atv  in the $1000 price range if he stays in the 250 to 350 cc size. That Polaris you showed was priced a little high . 

Plus it needs work. I would think the offer would be a couple hundred less than what he is asking

3 minutes ago, Paula said:

Plus it needs work. I would think the offer would be a couple hundred less than what he is asking

I would buy something newer than that one you posted, regardless of the price, but that's just me. Something that old would probably be difficult finding parts for it. 

Just now, ApexerER said:

I would buy something newer than that one you posted, regardless of the price, but that's just me. Something that old would probably be difficult finding parts for it. 

If it were for me I would go and buy brand new, thinking of warranty.  I never thought of parts for it. Thanks

• Like 1

If it were for me I would go and buy brand new, thinking of warranty.  I never thought of parts for it. Thanks

Don’t be afraid of older, I had a little 1985 Suzuki 230 about 5 years ago and I could still get parts for it.The early year atvs were very well built and lasted. There are tons of atv parts houses on the web. 

• Thanks 1