Mid level crossbow

G-Man

So whenever we reach a milestone number of deer taken 100,200,300 for example off my property I give a prize to the person taking said deer. Number 400 should be taken in bow or early gun next year and i am thinking a mid level crossbow around $300. Or so. Previous prizes have been a cutco knife, a .22 rifle, and a deer processing kit. 

Looking for input on a good relatable mid level. X bow as next prize. There are a tone out there but I prefer hearing from someone that has experiance with it what you like / dislike.  Thanks in advance

• Like 4

So whenever we reach a milestone number of deer taken 100,200,300 for example off my property I give a prize to the person taking said deer. Number 400 should be taken in bow or early gun next year and i am thinking a mid level crossbow around $300. Or so. Previous prizes have been a cutco knife, a .22 rifle, and a deer processing kit. 
Looking for input on a good relatable mid level. X bow as next prize. There are a tone out there but I prefer hearing from someone that has experiance with it what you like / dislike.  Thanks in advance
I want to hunt your land! I want a prize

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Greg 

the carbon express x force package is all one needs to hunt except broadheads.   Not very expensive but I find it shoots great.  Includes a scope and bolts all which seem fine.  I even ran mine over with my truck accidentally and just busted the quiver.  Otherwise it’s fine.  Not sure what a more expensive xbow would do better.  Maybe be a bit faster? 

One of the few times I went economy and was impressed.  Can be had for $200 or less on eBay.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Greg 

the carbon express x force package is all one needs to hunt except broadheads.   Not very expensive but I find it shoots great.  Includes a scope and bolts all which seem fine.  I even ran mine over with my truck accidentally and just busted the quiver.  Otherwise it’s fine.  Not sure what a more expensive xbow would do better.  Maybe be a bit faster? 

One of the few times I went economy and was impressed.  Can be had for $200 or less on eBay.   

On Moog's experience and my rec my daughter got one for her boyfriend for X-Mas. She was short on budget and he is a new hunter. Shoots great.

I shoot a Mission at 5x that price and I doubt it kills deer any deader lol.

Edited by Fletch
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Fletch said:

On Moog's experience and my rec my daughter got one for her boyfriend for X-Mas. She was short on budget and he is a new hunter. Shoots great.

Trigger isn’t great but really overall it’s pretty good.   All 3 of my hunting group bought one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yes I have a mission mbx400 myself..I dont mind giving away a prize but I'm not that generous

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Well 396 in 25 years though we started slow didnt hit out stride till 1997

if i hit my stride everyone would claim there's not much for deer and i'd be tarred and feathered in the square! i get crap now taking more than one doe and a buck some years.

5 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

if i hit my stride everyone would claim there's not much for deer and i'd be tarred and feathered in the square! i get crap now taking more than one doe and a buck some years.

We did 18 this year 9 buck 9 doe. That's about average..best years was 2000  22. 12 buck 10 doe. 1993 was only 2 doe and a buck.. I take flack all the time but until surrounding property starts taking some I need to take 10 doe just to keep population In check. 

Come spring you can see 100 or more deer in the neighbors field..its like we never touched the population. Its crazy

2 minutes ago, G-Man said:

We did 18 this year 9 buck 9 doe. That's about average..best years was 2000  22. 12 buck 10 doe. 1993 was only 2 doe and a buck.. I take flack all the time but until surrounding property starts taking some I need to take 10 doe just to keep population In check. 

Come spring you can see 100 or more deer in the neighbors field..its like we never touched the population. Its crazy

around 2000 was the same out this way and everywhere i think. we'd see that many in a field. now post season we're like 17 or less in a field. logging off a lot of the woods to let some sun light hit the dirt. woods were open and bare from those years. we've taken at least twice the DEC expected doe harvest per square mile for several years now to offset voluntary antler restrictions and lower the doe population. got to manage deer herd based on what you see and not DEC's average for a whole WMU. i agree with what you're saying.

1 hour ago, Jdubs said:

Wicked Ridge Warrior Ultra-Lite.  I stole mine for $256, but they were selling back in October for $349 online.  Heck of a package.  

I have a WR Invader G3 and its been phenomenal.  They are a bit above the OP budget, but I know they came out with an updated model, so there may be a deal to be had on the G3s.  If the Warrior is anything like mine... can;t go wrong.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

What's Dunham's?
Brick an mortar or online?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I got it at one in bradford pa. in store special have a lot on sale. 370, hortons,  excalibur, carbon express ,most are 150 or 200 off

• Like 1