What would you pay for this snowmobile?

Ok.  I've known this sled since new. My client purchased this new in 2003. His first ride he got stuck, and wrenched his back getting it out.  He hasn't ridden it since. My nephew a few times over the yrs broke trails with it, but that's it.  Every couple yrs, he has the dealership come grab it to service it.  

It's a '03 Polaris edge touring 2up, 550fan.. Electric start, electronic reverse. Heated grips for driver, and passenger.  

When I say this thing is mint, it is.  It's practically showroom.  It has 34 miles on it..   yes.. 34.   Like I mentioned, I've known this sled since new, so I know the milage is accurate.

Sled runs like new, and looks like new.  Stored inside.  Original cover.

So what would you pay???

IMG_20190109_102249277.jpg

IMG_20190109_100939303.jpg

IMG_20190109_100915755.jpg

IMG_20190109_100834736.jpg

IMG_20190109_100815211.jpg

IMG_20190109_100825419.jpg

2 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

At the end of the day it's still a 15 year old sled

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Correct.   But look at used stuff of the same vintage, type with 3k miles plus, and selling for 2k up. 

Edited by mowin

I'm just curious... No harm in asking people's opinions on what it's worth or what to ask for it. 

Yes I've got a pretty good idea of what it's worth, but I've been out of the sport since I sold my 06 F7 sno pro 10 yrs ago. 

Edited by mowin

1 minute ago, Otto said:

Fan cooled, perfect for ice fishing.  $3000 to 3500.  Even with occasional dealer service, non-use can be as bad as abuse.  

Agreed.  If this wasn't fogged out every few yrs, it could be a money pit.   

I ran it on our Nov 16th snowstorm.   It had 30 miles on it then.  Lol.  

Didn't miss a beat.  I'm picking it up tomorrow, I'll do a compression test next week sometime.  

It's the updated version of the horrible POS 440 fan engine that came before the 550 , i logged a ton of hours getting my buddys  440 to actually run without burning down.  Fan motors are finicky to temperature change . That one is actually safe to run without messing with jets but you will 100 percent feel the performance difference with temp change.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

It's the updated version of the horrible POS 440 fan engine that came before the 550 , i logged a ton of hours getting my buddys  440 to actually run without burning down.  Fan motors are finicky to temperature change . That one is actually safe to run without messing with jets but you will 100 percent feel the performance difference with temp change.

I've heard the 440's we're a nightmare, and the edge chassis with the 550 was pretty much bullet proof.

Definitely not a performance sled.  Comfort for two was it's appeal. 

You can't change it's age and with that low of miles, some may want it for that but others see one thing: neglect (or the possibility of). At least you have records of some service being performed (i hope) fairly regularly if you say the local shop picked it up every few years....

$2k-$2500 if you can find someone looking for that particular sled in that condition. But at the end of the day, it's a 15yr old fanner so the market is limited and fairly saturated for sleds in this area.
Best of luck with the sale

• Like 2

I have been snowmobiling for 30 years, I am not even sure how many sleds I have owned. I don't meant to sound like a jerk but I think it will be very hard for you to get much money for that sled. I am not saying it isn't nice.  Ever since Skidoo went to a rider forward design in 2003 and moved the rider to the middle of the sled and everyone started copying them nobody wants those old back breakers. The way the new sleds ride, I would quit snowmobiling if I had to go back to riding something like that. On top of that, even with the bells and whistles of being a two up, that was an entry level snowmobile with the 550 Fan. I guess it is possible you could find that one specific person looking for a sled like that. I think the $1500 offer was about right. If you can get someone to pay more than 2k for it. I would take it and run. That sled cost around $5000 15 years ago. I would bet if you looked up the average price that sled sells for now it would be less than $1000. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mowin said:

I own it now.   Paid less than that.  But going to ask more than that.  

Already got a trade in quote on a ATV.  

Trade it you will get more use from the atv also the atv will be easy to sell or trade.That is my opinion.

27 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I have been snowmobiling for 30 years, I am not even sure how many sleds I have owned. I don't meant to sound like a jerk but I think it will be very hard for you to get much money for that sled. I am not saying it isn't nice.  Ever since Skidoo went to a rider forward design in 2003 and moved the rider to the middle of the sled and everyone started copying them nobody wants those old back breakers. The way the new sleds ride, I would quit snowmobiling if I had to go back to riding something like that. On top of that, even with the bells and whistles of being a two up, that was an entry level snowmobile with the 550 Fan. I guess it is possible you could find that one specific person looking for a sled like that. I think the $1500 offer was about right. If you can get someone to pay more than 2k for it. I would take it and run. That sled cost around $5000 15 years ago. I would bet if you looked up the average price that sled sells for now it would be less than $1000. 

I agree 100% on the above...

3 hours ago, mowin said:

Thinking about it.  Is there something wrong? 

Trade it in, unless there is snow, its useless most of the year. My cousin is heavily into snowmobiles and there have been some winters he couldnt even use it, crazy for such a costly machine to sit for two years before you can enjoy it. An atv or utv can be utilized 12 months in most years. The worst investment was the one and only snowmobile i purchased,  didnt take long for me to sell it. Get 50x better use and fun out of my tractor and utv.