Can one of you more left leaning posters explain your thinking to me

1 hour ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I'm not left leaning, but I disagree with you on marijuana. We sell alcohol (a drug) to anyone who wants it, and marijuana does far less damage to the user and society than marijuana does.

I personally know 3 teenagers that started out using Pot and their parents held a similar view as you. 2 are in treatment for heroin addiction and one is dead from an OD. I can't say that I know of any kids that drank that ended up on heroin I am sure there are but I don't know any. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I personally know 3 teenagers that started out using Pot and their parents held a similar view as you. 2 are in treatment for heroin addiction and one is dead from an OD. I can't say that I know of any kids that drank that ended up on heroin I am sure there are but I don't know any. 

I also know numerous kids I grew up with that were weed-only users, and have never progressed further. I knew a lot of kids growing up who didn't use heroin, but thought nothing of using stimulants (coke and meth) to keep them alert while drinking. Also knew a kid growing up who died of cirrhosis at age 50, one crashed a motorcycle drunk at 17 and is a vegetable, another was a little older and did the same in a car, a few are nutcases, one is living in a camper in his sister's yard (how he's survived this long I still can't figure out). I had a sister-in-law who died before 50, fell down a staircase drunk (she may have been pushed, LOL).

My point is all recreational drugs aren't good, but weed seems to be the least of all the evils. If there is hard evidence anyone can provide that shows weed is a true gateway drug, I may change my opinion. And FWIW, I don't use any of this stuff, other than a few social drinks from time to time.

50 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

My point is all recreational drugs aren't good, but weed seems to be the least of all the evils

My biggest question is why do kids feel the need to get so totally high at such young ages regardless of what they choose to get high on?

I have never seen a generation that was so eager to fry their brains.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I'm not left leaning, but I disagree with you on marijuana. We sell alcohol (a drug) to anyone who wants it, and marijuana does far less damage to the user and society than marijuana does.

I've lived and worked with Pot-heads. My experience is that over a medium and long term period of usage, MaryJane is far more detrimental to the individual in terms of motivation, hygiene, ability to be a team player or hold down a job etc. I once knew a guy who was made so lazy by weed he couldn't even flush the toilet after dropping a deuce. He didn't wipe either.

Edited by The_Field_Ager

2 hours ago, The_Field_Ager said:

I've lived and worked with Pot-heads. My experience is that over a medium and long term period of usage, MaryJane is far more detrimental to the individual in terms of motivation, hygiene, ability to be a team player or hold down a job etc. I once knew a guy who was made so lazy by weed he couldn't even flush the toilet after dropping a deuce. He didn't wipe either.

I don't believe I said weed was good for you, it just seems a little hypocritical to keep it illegal at the same time we allow alcohol to be legal; I don't think anyone will agree that years of hard alcohol abuse does LESS damage than daily pot smoking. I've worked with hard-core drinkers, the hand shakes and sweats, sneaking drinks and thinking nobody knows, calling out sick, DUIS...none of this is good.

I'm pretty sure that the guy who was too stoned to flush the toilet would have probably puked in the sink and soiled his pants before he made it to the toilet if he was a hard-core alchie.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

14 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I don't believe I said weed was good for you, it just seems a little hypocritical to keep it illegal at the same time we allow alcohol to be legal; I don't think anyone will agree that years of hard alcohol abuse does LESS damage than daily pot smoking. I've worked with hard-core drinkers, the hand shakes and sweats, sneaking drinks and thinking nobody knows, calling out sick, DUIS...none of this is good.

I'm pretty sure that the guy who was too stoned to flush the toilet would have probably puked in the sink and soiled his pants before he made it to the toilet if he was a hard-core alchie.

My biggest issue with weed is, I have been talking to my daughter who is 13 about drugs. I bring it up every chance I get. Telling her to stay away from them, what they do, whenever I see some whacko I point out that he/she is probably high. Now if we legalize one, how am I to explain how bad this thing is that I have been talking about. Then we got, Marijuana was illegal and then the government decided it wasn't bad....maybe cocaine isn't bad, maybe meth...etc. Not my thinking but I can see kids thinking like this. I say this knowing in my head that I will be happy if my daughter somehow makes it through life only ever tired drinking and pot. The drugs that are out there are nothing like when I was kid. Crack, Coke, Heroin, Meth, X etc really scare the sh^t out of me as a parent.

My second issue in the weed vs alcohol dept. I like my beer. I had 3 beers last night (over a few hours) while we had some friends over for dinner. I had 4 or 5 beers on Monday (over several hours) while I was over at a Friends. I almost always drink Bud Light which is far from a heavy weight beer.  I was never in any way shape or form drunk. I could always make decisions etc.  Unless you are a hard core weed smoker, if you smoke weed, you are high as a kite, immediately. There is so much THC in todays weed that one hit and you are stoned, aren't making reasonable decisions and certainly shouldn't be driving a car. You can drink and not get drunk but I am not sure how you smoke and not get high. So while I don't really care if you get high and sit on your couch. A situation where you stop over at a friends and smoke a joint and stop over at a friends and have a beer or 2 and then head home are very different. I am not a weed smoker so maybe I am wrong, but that is how I see it. 

My biggest issue with weed is, I have been talking to my daughter who is 13 about drugs. I bring it up every chance I get. Telling her to stay away from them, what they do, whenever I see some whacko I point out that he/she is probably high. Now if we legalize one, how am I to explain how bad this thing is that I have been talking about. Then we got, Marijuana was illegal and then the government decided it wasn't bad....maybe cocaine isn't bad, maybe meth...etc. Not my thinking but I can see kids thinking like this. I say this knowing in my head that I will be happy if my daughter somehow makes it through life only ever tired drinking and pot. The drugs that are out there are nothing like when I was kid. Crack, Coke, Heroin, Meth, X etc really scare the sh^t out of me as a parent.
My second issue in the weed vs alcohol dept. I like my beer. I had 3 beers last night (over a few hours) while we had some friends over for dinner. I had 4 or 5 beers on Monday (over several hours) while I was over at a Friends. I almost always drink Bud Light which is far from a heavy weight beer.  I was never in any way shape or form drunk. I could always make decisions etc.  Unless you are a hard core weed smoker, if you smoke weed, you are high as a kite, immediately. There is so much THC in todays weed that one hit and you are stoned, aren't making reasonable decisions and certainly shouldn't be driving a car. You can drink and not get drunk but I am not sure how you smoke and not get high. So while I don't really care if you get high and sit on your couch. A situation where you stop over at a friends and smoke a joint and stop over at a friends and have a beer or 2 and then head home are very different. I am not a weed smoker so maybe I am wrong, but that is how I see it. 
Clearly you haven't been to a Canadian dispensary. Shit was like going inside a liquor store and talking fine wine. It was really both awe inspiring and ridiculous at the same time. Everything is tested and has specific levels so you know exactly what you are getting. I wouldn't mind a setup similar to that. It was really quite interesting

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, ApexerER said:

Again, I'm not pro or con for weed, or even social drinking. But lets not kid ourselves, even if you are sticking to light beer, you aren't drinking STRICTLY because you like the taste, it's because you like the taste AND the slight buzz that comes with it. I know I do. If not, O'Douls and Michelob NA would outsell alcoholic beer.  But my observation and experience (mostly through the eyes of others) is that once you cross over the line from social drinking to alcohol abuse, it goes down hill quickly, even quicker with women who drink heavily. It can be argued that if you don't want to get ripped smoking weed, just stick to one or two puffs or a small cookie or however they are using it these days. Weed makes MOST people quiet, sleepy and lazy. The effects of alcohol on people seems to be much less predictable...a stoner doesn't usually come home and smack the old lady and kids across the living room if the Eagles lose the big game on Sunday, but it's a safe bet that when it does happen, the father/husband is drunk.

As far as other drugs...there needs to be some common sense thinking. Meth, ecstasy, & coke cause severe brain damage if used regularly. Herion and alcohol are physically addictive, and withdrawal can actually cause death if not monitored closely. Why in the world would anybody want to get involved in any of this??? Like I said before, if I can find hard evidence that weed is truly addictive or causes more harm to the body & mind then alcohol, I'd change my opinion.

But I will say, with the legality of weed in some states and pending legality of marijuana in others, I would like to see some common-sense DWI testing available for anyone who is operating a vehicle, train, bus, etc. after smoking weed.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Not the same you can drink a beer or a glass of wine and not get waisted.  Just drink it for the taste of it,  like soda .

Smoking pot gets you waisted only reason people smoke it .

If they legalize it all profits should be going to pay off government spending  it should be heavily taxed .

As far  as it being healthy for you that ridiculous . 

6 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Who said it was healthy? (Other than derivatives from the plant used for legitimate medicine)?

Let me clarify that some people think  pot is healthier then  drinking or smoking cigarettes. 

There all bad if you abuse them .

But drinking occasionally is actually good for you study's show , Not getting waisted  drinking is what I mean .

Edited by Storm914

1 hour ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Again, I'm not pro or con for weed, or even social drinking. But lets not kid ourselves, even if you are sticking to light beer, you aren't drinking STRICTLY because you like the taste, it's because you like the taste AND the slight buzz that comes with it. I know I do. If not, O'Douls and Michelob NA would outsell alcoholic beer.  But my observation and experience (mostly through the eyes of others) is that once you cross over the line from social drinking to alcohol abuse, it goes down hill quickly, even quicker with women who drink heavily. It can be argued that if you don't want to get ripped smoking weed, just stick to one or two puffs or a small cookie or however they are using it these days. Weed makes MOST people quiet, sleepy and lazy. The effects of alcohol on people seems to be much less predictable...a stoner doesn't usually come home and smack the old lady and kids across the living room if the Eagles lose the big game on Sunday, but it's a safe bet that when it does happen, the father/husband is drunk.

As far as other drugs...there needs to be some common sense thinking. Meth, ecstasy, & coke cause severe brain damage if used regularly. Herion and alcohol are physically addictive, and withdrawal can actually cause death if not monitored closely. Why in the world would anybody want to get involved in any of this??? Like I said before, if I can find hard evidence that weed is truly addictive or causes more harm to the body & mind then alcohol, I'd change my opinion.

But I will say, with the legality of weed in some states and pending legality of marijuana in others, I would like to see some common-sense DWI testing available for anyone who is operating a vehicle, train, bus, etc. after smoking weed.

I guess I have to admit that I don't know enough about it other than the, "it is bad" we have all heard for so long. 

I don't get a buzz off of one bud light. I'll admit I do if I drink one of the craft beers with much higher alcohol content. 

I don't see how weed can't be addictive. It seems that anything that alters your mind/feelings someone is addicted to it. People are addicted to sucking air out of whip cream cans. There are lots of people that smoke a lot of weed everyday. You think they could just stop smoking weed and be ok with it? Get up in the morning and not want to get high? I find that highly unlikely but maybe they can.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

There are lots of people that smoke a lot of weed everyday. You think they could just stop smoking weed and be ok with it? Get up in the morning and not want to get high? I find that highly unlikely but maybe they can.

Honestly, I'd suspect these were the same kinds of folks that would turn to booze, pills, or something else if their weed connection ran dry.