Going to need a bigger boat

turkeyfeathers

Ok so I’ll admit it. If I had the money and balls I’d do it. I have always loved sharks I find them so fascinating. It’s always been a dream of mine to get in a cage with great whites in the water. I know that I could do not sure if I could be out in the open though. They say great whites don’t see humans as prey and most great white attacks are mistaken identity. It’s bull and tiger sharks you have to watch out for. They are the ruthless and known to attack for no reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I dove with sharks in the Bahamas.  They were smallish though and really left you alone. Not sure I would jump in the water with that white shark. I used to abalone dive in California. Never saw one but others I dove with had.  One did circle a boat I was on one day. That thing was MASSIVE. Effortlessly circled the boat twice looked up at me and disappeared.  

22 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Ok so I’ll admit it. If I had the money and balls I’d do it. I have always loved sharks I find them so fascinating. It’s always been a dream of mine to get in a cage with great whites in the water. I know that I could do not sure if I could be out in the open though. They say great whites don’t see humans as prey and most great white attacks are mistaken identity. It’s bull and tiger sharks you have to watch out for. They are the ruthless and known to attack for no reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, I think that would be awesome. BUT in a cage! You wouldn't catch me in the water without a cage.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

apparently they are younger folks and never saw the documentary - Jaws.  They be crazy! 

When we were in Cape Cod my daughter kept trying to get me to go out farther in the water and I was like....ahh no and neither are you. I was telling her there were great white sharks out there and she basically laughed at me. I was thinking we really need to sit down and watch Jaws together....lol

• Like 2

since a kid i've always liked Great White sharks. myth busters actually did an episode based on the jaws movie series. they determined that a bigger great white could actually in the right circumstances destroy a cage and get to what's inside. if one wanted to eat you it'd happen. any injuries are test bites to see if you're a fat juicy seal. still it's on my bucket list to go shark diving with a great white. deep blue is probably the most popular based on her size. another is Mary Lee tagged by Ocearch (see link below). Her last ping was near long beach a couple years ago but the batteries in her tracker probably died she was well over 15ft and a couple tons too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=234&v=WdHtlvHIcGE

http://www.lakecommandos.com/worlds-largest-circle-hook/

All of the nope!

When I lived in FL, I used to go shark fishing, but those were typically smaller blacktips and lemons that we would catch on and just off of the flats. I have seen Hammerheads that were longer than the 16 foot boat I had at the time. It was a bit unnerving when they were around. I was mostly worried about bulls, tigers and hammerheads down there.

....."any injuries are test bites to see if you're a fat juicy seal..." FYI - There are at least a few documentaries where great white survivors tell they were attacked multiple times. Not just an exploratory bite. Probably some are only exploratory, but there seem to be documented cases where this is not accurate.. I recall one off the top of my head the guy was on his surf board. The shark bit the board first then either attacked the board again and knocked him off or got his leg.  Ab divers referred to them as "The men in grey suits.."

9 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

....."any injuries are test bites to see if you're a fat juicy seal..." FYI - There are at least a few documentaries where great white survivors tell they were attacked multiple times. Not just an exploratory bite. Probably some are only exploratory, but there seem to be documented cases where this is not accurate.. I recall one off the top of my head the guy was on his surf board. The shark bit the board first then either attacked the board again and knocked him off or got his leg.  Ab divers referred to them as "The men in grey suits.."

that's what the experts say. i have no grounds to say otherwise. if you watch any footage of something that a great white is convinced is food it's gone.  test bites being plural i'm saying it seems to happen more than once watching documentaries and such. surf board is the classic example they've said that looks like something close to a seal from below. juvenile sharks is even more likely to get bit more than once. there's so much power there you're still screwed and could die but if you were truly food it'd be over in a second or less. blood in the water is just that but we're still not something that's associated with a normal food source. there's full sized adult white sharks that could fit your whole body in their mouth at once swimming off the east coast this very time of year. if they associated us with food it'd be readily apparent.

21 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Almost went swimming once with a 10-12' bull shark.  No thanks on 20' great white!

bull, tiger, hammerheads, etc are all worse than whites. they're more aggressive. bulls have the creepy link that they can do just fine in fresh water.

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

since a kid i've always liked Great White sharks. myth busters actually did an episode based on the jaws movie series. they determined that a bigger great white could actually in the right circumstances destroy a cage and get to what's inside. if one wanted to eat you it'd happen. any injuries are test bites to see if you're a fat juicy seal. still it's on my bucket list to go shark diving with a great white. deep blue is probably the most popular based on her size. another is Mary Lee tagged by Ocearch (see link below). Her last ping was near long beach a couple years ago but the batteries in her tracker probably died she was well over 15ft and a couple tons too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=234&v=WdHtlvHIcGE

http://www.lakecommandos.com/worlds-largest-circle-hook/

Ok when we going! 

36 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Ok when we going! 

i wish.... not any time soon i've got a house to work on. it's likely it could take multiple trips to get a white shark to come in. especially a bigger one, versus just going somewhere with smaller juveniles all over like off long island. probably given the time of year and when they're around you're flying south too. bucketlist item but very low on the priority list as my family would likely not join me. other stuff on the list would include them. not to mention i'd have to dive to a point to be proficient enough even if in a cage.