I’ve had it!

Buckmaster7600

2 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Did you read what you posted?  If it is not posted and you have not served notice there will be NO ticket issued. Count on it. 

Not true but I am not going to argue it because it makes no difference to me. I have seen where tickets have been issued for just being there. A landowner can request a trespass charge/ticket for anyone who is on your property and not wanted. More than likely the ECO/Police will try to talk you out of it but  if you insist a ticket will be issued whether or not a "posted" sign is in place.

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

without a boundary like a fence (or a wall...lol)  it has to be posted properly

you're hard pressed around here to find a property line without old fence wires between trees and half in the dirt or more often a stone wall. still don't get tickets without it Posted. for co-ops out this way that's the first thing we tell property owners.

As for how, I know a guy who,runs coyotes with dogs all season long and he cleans up ,just stacks of dead coyotes , like Culver said , kinda like rabbit hunting with dogs .

But he spends a few days prior to each season knocking on the same doors,making sure he has premisson to be on their land  this year . It takes days as he runs a very large area .

Id go but It’s a lot of work ,he loses many pounds each season , just running the shear number of miles every day .

i believe his dogs have gps trackers ,that allow the hunters to monitor them and then race ( drive ) ahead of them to,get set up .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

How does one kill the coyote when its run by dogs?  Its not like a bear, coon or cougar that trees itself.
I feel for you buckmaster.  It would annoy me too having someone else's dog chasing game on my property.  Its still a form of trespassing.

We take them as they cross open fields ahead of the dogs. Or ride up along side of them on the sleds and roll them with the shotgun. Loads of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

For the last month I have been having it out with the local coyote “hunters.” If that’s what you call them they run coyotes with dogs.

I don’t like coyotes I shoot them on sight, but it’s my property and I enjoy hunting them during the winter. I don’t want every coyote dead because they are fun to hunt but here’s my problem these guys release the dogs on a neighbors 1/4 acre and the dogs come on my property and chase deer and the occasional dog. I have pictures of the dogs chasing deer basically every day of the week. I have found tracks of the guys walking on my property it have yet to get a picture of them. The local encompasses officer says there’s nothing I can do about the dogs because they aren’t breaking any laws. Unless I catch or get a picture of one of the guys trespassing there’s really nothing I can do.

Like I said I don’t have any love for coyotes but I have a huge problem with someone having dogs chasing coyotes on my property!!

Anyone else have any issues with this “sport?”

That sucks! I really agree with calling local LEO's. If you have too, keep calling. That's all I can suggest.

On a side note, who the @#$% hunts 1/4 acre? Really? I think between my two lots I have very close to that, and it's not much land.

Best of luck to you on getting this under control. Keep us posted.

5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

How does one kill the coyote when its run by dogs?  Its not like a bear, coon or cougar that trees itself.

Just like bunnies but with #4 buckshot instead of birdshot.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002080559/federal-power-shok-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-buffered-4-buckshot-34-pellets-box-of-5

13 minutes ago, jmark said:

I would just shoot the dogs.  Seriously

Then you would be getting the tickets, spending time in court, and paying restitution to the dog owners. At an average value of $1000 a piece, lawyer fees, and who knows what else that could be a pretty pricey proposition.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:51 PM, dbHunterNY said:

intentional ...entry is the hitch. often they claim stupidity and say they didn't realize that was where the property line was.

That is not a problem on my property. When I post, I have an unofficial rule that at least 2-3 other signs are visible from any sign along the line. The old "location ignorance" argument does not work well when you do that.

I generally give coyote hunters a pass when it comes to trespass. They are generally performing a service of controlling a species that pretty much sits at the top of the food chain and have no other controls than hunters. As I understand it, using hounds for hunting is the most effective control, so I give them a break.

But, I do understand that everything has limits at which point the hunters and dogs become invasive. Hopefully a bit of common sense on both sides will prevail. I think if someone was coyote hunting with dogs during deer season and they were working around my stand, I probably would develop a pretty hard-line attitude real quick.....lol.

The guys who run them by me make sure they have a pretty good size area before they start. There is no way they can control the dog from running onto a smaller parcel without permission. That said the chase usually moves right along until the yote is circled back to the shooter. By us it's out of the norm to say no to these guys, so many coyotes hurting the deer population. Last year they shot 17 by us. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I imagine the dogs will chase anything that moves including deer

Most hound, beagle , and coyote dog owners do not want their dogs running anything other than the game they are pursuing. Running deer is taboo and most go to great efforts to break their dogs from running deer. Some coyote dogs will also run fox but for the most part it is undesirable to have a dog run "off" game.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

I should link you to the mississippi outdoor forums. You can still run deer with dogs there and it's more divisive than our crossbow issue. Same general idea, dogs can legally run other peoples property and the land owners have no recourse. It's f'n insane. 

I looked at rescuing a hound from Mississippi, somebody decided to brand their name on the side of the dog ,big letters ,the scars were still visible ,after you get so far south you start dealing with a class of subhuman species,I feel bad for the normal people who have to live near them.

We take them as they cross open fields ahead of the dogs. Or ride up along side of them on the sleds and roll them with the shotgun. Loads of fun.

Do you jump off.....or shoot from the sled while someone is driving?

Man that sounds like the wild west.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:05 PM, Four Season Whitetail's said:

5 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Do you jump off.....or shoot from the sled while someone is driving?

Man that sounds like the wild west.

I know it is done but I wouldn't be advertising that. Illegal as hell :buba:

We've got fox clubs in our area. Bunch a rich entitled idiots on horses follow hounds that are "supposedly" running fox.   

I can't count how many times over the years I've been on stand and see deer with there tongues hanging out being chased by several hounds. Tell them there hounds chase deer, and they deny it vehemently. 

ECO says they can't do anything as there is no proof. Really, watching it happen isn't proof? 

We've got fox clubs in our area. Bunch a rich entitled idiots on horses follow hounds that are "supposedly" running fox.   
I can't count how many times over the years I've been on stand and see deer with there tongues hanging out being chased by several hounds. Tell them there hounds chase deer, and they deny it vehemently. 
ECO says they can't do anything as there is no proof. Really, watching it happen isn't proof? 
Should carry a bullhorn then when they run past sound off and watch those dorks get flung off their horses. They already ruined your hunt. Might as well have some fun with it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

I’m ignorant on the subject but was wondering the impact on the deer on the property the dogs are running(which seems to be the concern of the OP). I imagine the dogs will chase anything that moves including deer

Not a whole lot, really. Deer and other game will leave the area for a while, then come back to their food & cover. Deer hunting is over in NY unless you are on Long Island,  so the long-term impact is minimal, actually they may be doing the OP a favor if they kill a few coyotes. But I understand why a person wants their privacy, or just plain doesn't want trespassing also.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Should carry a bullhorn then when they run past sound off and watch those dorks get flung off their horses. They already ruined your hunt. Might as well have some fun with it

Funny story.  Buddy of mine was 20' up a tree when 3 elitist on horseback stopped under his stand.  The " leader" has this horn to call the dogs back, which doesn't work.  After a few toots on the horn, one of them noticed my buddy.  

The lady asked him if he seen the dogs.  His answer was priceless.  Nope, don't blame em though for not coming back.  That f'n horn is annoying.   They weren't pleased.  

Funny story.  Buddy of mine was 20' up a tree when 3 elitist on horseback stopped under his stand.  The " leader" has this horn to call the dogs back, which doesn't work.  After a few toots on the horn, one of them noticed my buddy.  
The lady asked him if he seen the dogs.  His answer was priceless.  Nope, don't blame em though for not coming back.  That f'n horn is annoying.   They weren't pleased.  
Hahaha classic! Those horse show types are such assholes