Venison Jerky

NYBowhunter

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Do you prefer sliced over ground for jerky? Do you use a slicer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never used ground, cant imagine you would get that pull/firmness that you get from whole cuts and not sure how you would brine ground meat. I prefer to brine the meat then smoke. No slicer, all cut by hand with a very sharp filet knife. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i have a slicer if i was to make jerky that way. i've gone to using ground meat though.  save the better cuts for roasts, steaks, etc.

With 4 deer only a small % goes towards jerky and i use most of my ground for sausages , dry sausage and burger.  Not much  ground meat left to use towards jerky,  besides i cant imagine ground jerky being the same consistency/ pull you get from whole cuts. If im gonna take the time to brine and smoke for 20 hours, i can spare a couple of roasts.  Besides the family loves the jerky this way.

5 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

With 4 deer only a small % goes towards jerky and i use most of my ground for sausages , dry sausage and burger.  Not much  ground meat left to use towards jerky,  besides i cant imagine ground jerky being the same consistency/ pull you get from whole cuts. If im gonna take the time to brine and smoke for 20 hours, i can spare a couple of roasts.  Besides the family loves the jerky this way.

it's not. don't have the crisp pull. texture is the same at first but it pulls apart differently. for that effort i agree. i don't smoke or brine it. you make up or use store bought sauces as a binder. and then dry seasoning for curing and added favor. mix it up and then shoot it from a gun onto dehydrator trays.  it doesn't take an hour even if you milk the whole process for all it's worth (minus the dehydration/cooking part). easier to give some to work, family, and friends that way.

Never used ground, cant imagine you would get that pull/firmness that you get from whole cuts and not sure how you would brine ground meat. I prefer to brine the meat then smoke. No slicer, all cut by hand with a very sharp filet knife. 

Yeah you can’t, that’s why I asked. I prefer sliced jerky as well just find it harder to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love jerky done both ways(sliced vs ground) I usually use ground as it is easier to make and I can get better consistency. I always get lots of different sized pieces with sliced and a lot of little pieces that dry up too fast or fall through the racks. Plus as said here before using ground is a lot faster. 

56 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

I love jerky done both ways(sliced vs ground) I usually use ground as it is easier to make and I can get better consistency. I always get lots of different sized pieces with sliced and a lot of little pieces that dry up too fast or fall through the racks. Plus as said here before using ground is a lot faster. 

you can't beat a small electric slicer for cutting the jerky.

56 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Rotate racks every few hours and move smaller pieces to the top rack. This last batch had all different sizes, smoked for 20 hours and all cooked great, none were britle. I have in the past  also removed those smaller pieces a couple hours before the larger pieces,  do this enough you can determind which is done based upon color.

I make many, many pounds of jerky year around. Probably did 60 plus pounds last year, weight before drying. All I use is ground. I save the steaks and such for the grill. The texture, pull is different but I love it and it beats any store brand. I actually am just finishing up 5 pounds of honey flavored in the dehydrator now.

If I had unlimited big roasts to slice up I would do whole cut but I have excess ground.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 2:04 PM, NYBowhunter said:

Just got done making my brine for jerky, venison will sit in brine overnight in fridge. Will add more pics. tomorrow when added to smoker. 

IMG_20190119_115636_211.jpg

Looks good and just what I'm looking for.  I have about 30 lbs. of whole meat slabs to do, Would you care to share the brine receipt?