New Day Pack

DirtTime

I picked this up this morning. Seems like a solid day pack. Fieldline Pro-Series Prey Pack.

29.5 liter

Has some MOLLE webbing so I can add a few of my old ALICE pouches for extra storage.

I have been looking at getting a new day pack for a few months now. This fit what I was looking for, seems pretty damn sturdy, and was only a slight dent to the wallet at $30.

Sorry, the pic is a pic is a bit wonky.

newpack1.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ODYSSEUS said:

That looks like a nice Sturdy Daypack Rob!

I haven't actually field tested it yet. But, I don't see any issues. I know you are like me Bill, limited budget, but from what I can see so far, this will have plenty of space for for everything from calls to food and a stove for a full day out. If you can get the cash up, I think this pack would be great for you too.

7 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Rob-- I have a similar Daypack. Call a Nexpack. It cost me 45 bucks at the Rockland Outdoor Expo a few years back in March. Plenty of inner and outer pockets and compartments.  This is what, I use when I take more calls then usual. I take it off at my tree and sit. I don't like Turkey Vests- so this works out.

Post up a pic Bill. I''m not really a fan vests either. But I thought you made a post about vests.

My wife rolled her eyes a bit when I bout the pack. I have a few, but none of them really did everything I want from a day pack. I have an old Med. A.L.I.C.E. pack I used to use for one or two night trips in the back country, but that's way to big for just a day hunting or hiking.

I rarely carry a pack anymore, but I wanted something for next season hunting trip that I can carry some first aid gear, and some gear to get through the night if I get turned around.

Hoping to give it a test run after this cold snap is over, and so long as the parking areas have been plowed wherever I decide to go.

That looks like a nice pack as well Bill.

Edited by Rob...
spelling
  • Like 1

I have been carrying  a field line day pack since the early 90s. I noticed the straps are starting to rip out last year. It's pretty big I can stuff a full winter coat in it and carry my bibs strapped on the outside . Love this pack.  I have been looking for a new one . Just can't find one I like that doesn't cost 150 to 200 bucks. Found some decent ones cheaper but the material is seriously loud . Hopefully  I will  find something before next season.

This pack doesn't seem loud to me, a lot quieter then my older packs. For the money so far I'm impressed. It has plenty of little areas to separate gear. I still have to dig out my old over-nighter pack and see how the old A.L.I.C.E. pouches work, I doubt I'll need them though.

Just now, Nytracker said:

Rob might I ask where you picked it up perhaps I should go look at one In person.

WalMart. I was actually looking at the same pack in OD that was only $25, but was himming and hawing. My wife noticed this one in a different isle, and for some reason it seemed more durable for the lousy extra $5.

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

I buy a new Pack about every 4-5 years at WalMart . I carry more stuff than I use but continue to do so on every hunt . Extra gear is a camera , binos , and range finder .The other stuff is too numerous to mention . 

I usually carry all my gear in pockets. So a pack was seldom used in recent years. Maybe those really cold days where bringing a thermos to have something hot to drink were the exceptions.

I also needed something to now fit a tripod and camera for filming. I wanted light weight, durable, and just enough space for the interior. This just fit the bill for me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Actually gave this a small test yesterday. Had a light jacket, normal small game hear, my orange vest, camera tri-pod, and gloves inside. Still had a lot room left. It was comfortable and pretty quiet, even the zippers weren't very loud.

IMO, if I still did over night hikes I could get away with using this for a weekend trip in warmer temps.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 7:23 PM, ODYSSEUS said:

Nice Thin Wool Blanket can fit in a Daypack as well. Along with 4-5 Double thick Trash Bags for a Emergency.

Be careful using trash bags. I know some that claim to use them as "sleeping bags", but they do not allow moisture to escape. The wool blanket might help, but unless you are wearing some sort of wool second layer, you would be better off using those trash bags and a space blanket as an actual shelter, but you're gonna need some cordage.

A few things always in my packs in big woods, para cord, space blanket, medical kit, water proof matches ( good ones ! ), some form of tarp, and at least one freeze dried meal. Among a few other essentials like a compass etc..

One big thing about hunting or hiking big woods can be water if things go wrong. It's heavy and takes up space, so carrying a lot isn't always an option. Also, if your stranded, you may not have a water source near by and there may not be any snow on the ground.

Prepare for the worst, and hope to enjoy the best. That's a backbone of big woods hunting for me.

9 hours ago, Rob... said:

Be careful using trash bags. I know some that claim to use them as "sleeping bags", but they do not allow moisture to escape. The wool blanket might help, but unless you are wearing some sort of wool second layer, you would be better off using those trash bags and a space blanket as an actual shelter, but you're gonna need some cordage.

A few things always in my packs in big woods, para cord, space blanket, medical kit, water proof matches ( good ones ! ), some form of tarp, and at least one freeze dried meal. Among a few other essentials like a compass etc..

One big thing about hunting or hiking big woods can be water if things go wrong. It's heavy and takes up space, so carrying a lot isn't always an option. Also, if your stranded, you may not have a water source near by and there may not be any snow on the ground.

Prepare for the worst, and hope to enjoy the best. That's a backbone of big woods hunting for me.

For water proof matches and smaller survival things I store them in the stock of my gun.I also have the pack that you posted and suprised by the amount it holds.I use food saver vacu bags to insure that my extras stay dry socks gloves hats under/base layers and some food.

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Rob Ditch the garbage bags and I buy some house wrap “tyvec” iron it flat after folding and put it in a plastic bag or vacuum seal it. My 8x8 piece fits in my cargo pocket and is thinner than 1/2”. Takes up no room and has a ton of uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't carry trash bags, that was Bill!! I told him it was a bad idea to use them. Read what "I" posted. FYI, I am not Bill!