Kimber rifles

Chef

Does anyone own or have you ever shot a kimber rifle. I’m looking at maybe getting a open country or a advanced tactical Soc II. Just in the preliminary stages of looking but was curious if any of you guys have experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a Montana in .308 for my father 3-4 years ago.  It had feeding issues after the first spent round is extracted and the second round was chambered.  For the life of me I can't remember what the remedy was.  

Dad's killed a couple deer with it and is happy he got it.  One thing I don't like is the curve on the trigger is pretty curvy. :)  I like them a little straighter......

Good luck with yours. 

I own 5 Kimber rifles.  Three Montana's, a Talkeetna and a .22 Hunter with the wood stock.

All are great shooters.  Never had any issue with any of them.  IMO Kimber makes the best hunting rifle for the money.

Are you looking for a hunting rifle or a specialty rifle?  Because the two you mentioned are really special purpose rifles that may not be the best choice for hunting.

• Like 1

I own 5 Kimber rifles.  Three Montana's, a Talkeetna and a .22 Hunter with the wood stock.
All are great shooters.  Never had any issue with any of them.  IMO Kimber makes the best hunting rifle for the money.
Are you looking for a hunting rifle or a specialty rifle?  Because the two you mentioned are really special purpose rifles that may not be the best choice for hunting.

I haven’t really figured that part out yet. The open country could for sure be used for hunting and long range target. As far as the Soc II yes that would be 100% a long range target gun. This decision may take me months and lead me somewhere completely different as I would like a gun that I can hunt with as well as hit targets out to at least the 1k mark

Kimber used to make a nice rifle for long range and varmint called the Long Master Classic, in .308 as well as other calibers.  It had a matte blue 84M action with a medium heavy 24" stainless barrel in a select wood stock.  Currently it's offered as the Varmint model but only in .22-250 and .204 Ruger.  Unfortunately Kimber's cataloged options have been minimized in the last couple of years.  Thankfully, you can still find them on the online auction sites like www.gunbroker.com in new condition, and the prices are often less than the MSRP.  I think a .308 version costs about $1200 or so online.  It's still capable for hunting as a walking varminter as it only weighs 7.5 pounds.

Here's one brand new in PA on Gunbroker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/794377446

Edited by Rattler

Kimber used to make a nice rifle for long range and varmint called the Long Master Classic, in .308 as well as other calibers.  It had a matte blue 84M action with a medium heavy 24" stainless barrel in a select wood stock.  Currently it's offered as the Varmint model but only in .22-250 and .204 Ruger.  Unfortunately Kimber's cataloged options have been minimized in the last couple of years.  Thankfully, you can still find them on the online auction sites like www.gunbroker.com in new condition, and the prices are often less than the MSRP.  I think a .308 version costs about $1200 or so online.  It's still capable for hunting as a walking varminter as it only weighs 7.5 pounds.
Here's one brand new in PA on Gunbroker.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/794377446

It sounds like the long master classic is just a older more traditional version of the open country. Wood instead of carbon fiber? And chambered in 308 vs the open country offering a 6.5 chambering ?

Sure Walther makes a couple of .22 rifles.  They sell them in the US.  G22, GSP, KKJ Sporter, KKW, an MP5 .22, even an UZI .22 is made by Walther.  Not big sellers in the US though.  They're very good quality, but expensive.  For awhile they also made sporting rifles in big game chamberings using the Mauser action.

They also made the G43 for WWII Nazis.

Edited by Rattler

BTW an interesting bit of trivia about Kimber rifles for those who don't know.  If you like to "Buy American", you can take it a step further and "Buy Made In NY", because Kimbers are made in Yonkers, NY.  How they manage with Cuomo as Governor, I'll never know.

BTW an interesting bit of trivia about Kimber rifles for those who don't know.  If you like to "Buy American", you can take it a step further and "Buy Made In NY", because Kimbers are made in Yonkers, NY.  How they manage with Cuomo as Governor, I'll never know.
A bigger question is how they manage in the dumpster fire known as Yonkers

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have lusted after the Kimbers since they were introduced. My kind of rifle for my hunting-light, calibers like .257 Roberts, 7mm-08, .260, now the 6.5 Creedmoor, and attractive-yeah, I like good looking rifles.

I hav heard just too many stories about function problems and poor accuracy. Don't know anyone who has had one, just internet comments-but when they  cost 1,000 -1,200 dollars, and I don't need a deer rifle-I managed to pass them over.

Will

For years, there has been a statement that, when buying a Kimber, it's a roulette wheel. You may get a good one, you may not. I've had (and sold) two Kimbers. They were ok but not fantastic.
Unfortunately the new Kimbers are not the Same as the Kimbers of yesteryear. That said I do want one or two of their new wheel guns. They look slick

I'm only addressing the Kimber rifles.  I don't own any of their pistols.  I've never had a single issue with any of their rifles and find them all to be extremely accurate and without any flaws.  I can't speak for the pistols. 

I suspect some of the comments here are referring to Kimber pistols.  Making a good 1911 style pistol is an issue for any maker of 1911 style pistols.  I also find pistol owners to be quite critical of any minor problem with a pistol, which all pistols have, regardless of maker.

Personally, I would never hesitate to jump on a good deal on a Kimber rifle.

A couple years ago a fellow shooting at the range next to me had a new Kimber in .308....not sure of the model, but as I remember it was a hunting as opposed to target model. I had been wanting to look at one for some time, and the owner obliged me. I have to say I was ….underwhelmed. The action felt gritty, the safety so hard to engage and rough it took a concerted effort to move. Shooting...I didn't shoot it, but the owner seemed to have good technique, and was shooting from a benchrest...My original model 98 Mauser with the original 8x57 barrel I was shooting that day embarrassed him. 

Another option is Weatherby who puts out several rifles that fits your parameters, the Vanguard line is moderately priced, configured in many ways and comes along with an accuracy guarantee. From the reviews I have been seeing on those rifles they are living up to that guarantee.

Al

Edited by airedale

Another option is Weatherby who puts out several rifles that fits your parameters, the Vanguard line is moderately priced, configured in many ways and comes along with an accuracy guarantee. From the reviews I have been seeing on those rifles they are living up to that guarantee.
Al

+1

+1

Weatherby For The Win! I really want one of their new limited edition Sheridan Rifles. It comes down to a diamond or a rifle. Sadly I think I may have to lose on this one

• Like 1

Weatherby For The Win! I really want one of their new limited edition Sheridan Rifles. It comes down to a diamond or a rifle. Sadly I think I may have to lose on this one

Engagement ring? Get it appraised high, pretend to lose it and then you get the ring and weatherby!