ODYSSEUS

Where Are The Snow Shoveling Kids These Days??

Just finished up here. And guess who came to help? My grandson Zach! He worked doing all the car cleaning and shoveling for almost two hours, while I ran the blower. He busted his butt for a 14 year old. He's also going home with $40 in his pocket! He didn't want to take it. I insisted.....I want him to know hard work will be rewarded. 
He could have stayed home where it's warm, and played video games. He wanted to go help grampy instead. 
Man......do I love that kid.
Just goes to show you raised his mom or dad right, and they are passing that onto him. My boys are only two and four and we had a long discussion how we are younger and able to help their Papa and jaji(grandpa in polish). Even though these boys are young they work like dogs.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Another thing i havent seen kids do anymore is hit cars with snowballs , it's probably been 20 years since i was hit with a snowball or saw one fly across the street in front of me while driving . 

Yeah they throw rocks now! Had 2 little kids hurl rocks at my vehicle over the summer.  They were at the end of their driveway  on a 55mph road, they are lucky they didnt get killed by a motorist.  Very dangerous road where people do 60-70mph...  I saw them bend down grabbing rocks, so i smashed the pedal, swerved, and made it past.  I turned into the other end of their horseshoe driveway, laid on the horn, and no adult came out.  Point is, its just amazing how some parents let their kids just roam wild. 

We lived a 1/4 mile from a trailer park I used to clean up, the driveways were short and I could knock em out quick.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 8:29 AM, ODYSSEUS said:

So far- this was not a bad Snowstorm here in Monroe. No more then 4" so far. A Wet snow though.  Now back when, I was a Kid, I would RACE out the door armed with my Shovel around 8.30am or so and start knocking on Doors.  Other Kids would also be out. Sometimes 3 or 4 of them. Running on the road with Shovels and up to Front Doors. If, I was Lucky, I would get 3 driveways done as my competition were going fast as well. The Job had to be done well though.  Some people would give me 5 Bucks and others would give 10 Bucks. If you were real Lucky-- you got 15 Bucks for a Long Driveway.  Kids don't do this anymore from what, I see. Now- it is the guy with a Plow hooked up to his Ford- F-150. He charges 40 minimum. Probably alot of Elderly people would prefer to pay that kid 20 Bucks if they could find one..

Parents don't push their kids on how to make money anymore... they just Give their kids money.... Why work hard when you get it for Free?

It's also why kids today grow up to be Liberals..... first the parents give them free stuff... when they get older they expect the Government to do the same.... Sad.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Funny Paula! That's what, I looked like. A coat and a Shovel.

Wonderbread bread bags as boot liners   And their were no such things as waterproof gloves    Soggy gloves for sure

• Like 3

There is a secretary at work that wears the bread bags. When I first seen it I was shocked, but you do what you got to do.

Alot of People make ends meat to plow snow....  id rather pay them to plow me out in 10 minutes then some snowflake kid to do a half ass job in 4 hours.......   Kids are different today and it is not gonna get any better........  

5 minutes ago, Paula said:

There is a secretary at work that wears the bread bags. When I first seen it I was shocked, but you do what you got to do.

with stiletto heels / Awkward for sure

• Haha 2

Drove up Goodman st yesterday on our way to eat at Village Gate. Saw guys walking the street with shovels ! Same as when I lived in that neighborhood ,  adult males,if you’re home they do a half a$$ed job and make some money, if your not home they’ll steal your stuff out of your cars and garage .

Same as the bottle and can guys, make some money off returns, but half the time their bags full of whatever they can steal, the Bag or shovel is often just a chance to go up to your house and cars .

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

with stiletto heels / Awkward for sure

you ain't kidding. he's probably a weird dude even by today's standards.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

i'm not in a neighborhood but others have talked of a couple groups of kids digging people out for a modest amount of $. one group supposedly wasn't old enough to drive but pulled a trailer with their bikes. had screws in tires. trailer had a snowblower, shovels, gas cans, etc.  i was told they worked all yesterday morning and got quite a lot of houses done. the other group was not close to the other and just a few kids with shovels.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

Where are those damn kids?!? I’m buried here on my SNOW DAY!!!

9a6e4c0dad63aaa4a98589037793d96b.jpg&key=b7b1d42bccdc81610ea70088cd5feb3ed1ff7ef52728c591c6d7db69f18c5464

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Where are those damn kids?!? I’m buried here on my SNOW DAY!!!

9a6e4c0dad63aaa4a98589037793d96b.jpg&key=b7b1d42bccdc81610ea70088cd5feb3ed1ff7ef52728c591c6d7db69f18c5464

I'm a Kid at heart Iwould love that job you have would only need leaf blower rake shovel and a trashcan.

• Like 2

Only need a huge bag of salt here. Icy fun 

Here’s all I need so far ...want me to send some your way?
c2196773c8319be8b245fe9d1bf78d57.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

we just closed here!  not a bit of snow...... but....... 3-7 inches here in 4 hours then changing to sleet.  Yeah we just closed.   Better safe than sorry 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

we just closed here!  not a bit of snow...... but....... 3-7 inches here in 4 hours then changing to sleet.  Yeah we just closed.   Better safe than sorry 

This is where technology is useful the Teachers should have sent home todays work and the students could still be schooled at home 

This is where technology is useful the Teachers should have sent home todays work and the students could still be schooled at home 

Booo!!! Grinch!!!! Snow days are for chocolate chip cookies, hot chocolate and board games!!!
I just went to my HW page and REMOVED all the work intended for the day!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Booo!!! Grinch!!!! Snow days are for chocolate chip cookies, hot chocolate and board games!!!
I just went to my HW page and REMOVED all the work intended for the day!

I am not a Grinch just was taught work before play.The cookies and time spent in the kitchen is also a life lesson that doesn't happen to often these days.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2019 at 8:29 AM, ODYSSEUS said:

So far- this was not a bad Snowstorm here in Monroe. No more then 4" so far. A Wet snow though.  Now back when, I was a Kid, I would RACE out the door armed with my Shovel around 8.30am or so and start knocking on Doors.  Other Kids would also be out. Sometimes 3 or 4 of them. Running on the road with Shovels and up to Front Doors. If, I was Lucky, I would get 3 driveways done as my competition were going fast as well. The Job had to be done well though.  Some people would give me 5 Bucks and others would give 10 Bucks. If you were real Lucky-- you got 15 Bucks for a Long Driveway.  Kids don't do this anymore from what, I see. Now- it is the guy with a Plow hooked up to his Ford- F-150. He charges 40 minimum. Probably alot of Elderly people would prefer to pay that kid 20 Bucks if they could find one..

All the day laborers do it now. Just like lawn service. Its not the kids, cheap labor. 

"We Feed 'em"

"He Breeds 'em"

Legends Lodge, "Where Legends are born"

Early dismissal here today. Starting at 10:15 the HS students will be leaving. No early out for staff though. So a good time to catch up a bit here in the office.

• Like 2