cat litter or rock salt?

philoshop

After 15 years of driving front wheel drive mini vans that were almost impossible to get stuck in snow unless you high-centered them, I now have a one wheel drive Ford Ranger that gets stuck if someone spills a drink with ice cubes in the driveway. I have weight in the back and I'm certainly not new to pickup trucks, I just got spoiled with those mini-van tanks.

Anyway, I'm thinking of carrying some traction help for emergency situations (like a spilled drink with ice ;-). Cat litter or rock salt? Preferences?

A couple hundred pounds of sand over the axle and a bag of rock salt will get the job done in any situation you could face.

ł have 300 lbs kitty litter as my understanding is sand will rot your trunk from the inside, not an issue in a truck bed.

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Tube sand at Lowe's.   I have two in my pickup all winter even though it's 4 wheel drive.   Makes truck handle better.

And a weird little thing u prob know.  Weight is actually more effective behind the wheel wells instead of across them. Doesn't seem like it would be but it is.  

It's leverage. Basic physics.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies folks! Even in a plastic bucket I'm not real keen on having salt inside my truck. There's enough on the outside. I'll probably go with the cat litter. It's just a really coarse sand, and I use it for oil spills around the property anyway.
Besides having weight in the bed, put some cardboard behind the seat. If you get stuck put under tires. I did not believe it at first, but it works.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk