Bear poachers

Steuben Jerry

The penalties these two scumbags where given is BS and should have been way more. What makes it even worse is it's another jab to the face for us hunters with the media. They seem to never report anything good just the negatives, but that's the media on all topics I guess.

• Like 1

The guy lost quite a bit:

The elder Renner faces three months in prison and a $9,000 fine, and has also forfeited property that was confiscated from him, including a 22-foot Sea Sport ocean boat and trailer, a 2012 GMC Sierra pickup, two rifles, two handguns, two iPhones and two sets of backcountry skis that were used in the crime. His hunting license has been revoked for 10 years.

Whether it's enough, I can't say. Do other states honour hunting license suspensions?

Edited by left field

As disgusting as I find the crime, I find  the judgement fair... Three months in jail,  perhaps 30  grand in fines and property confiscation, and 10 years without a hunting license..  Perhaps y'all would just prefer to hang the poor dumb bastard...  People kill PEOPLE in this country and get off  cheaper than this guy did....

As for the kid, I agree that he got off light...A factor in this judgement might have been that he was under the influence of his father..

• Like 2

Also, consider that  many people who live in remote places consider bears to be pain-in-the ass  varmints,  much like FSW considers coyotes.... When  I started fishing up in Quebec in the early 60s, there was no closed season and they were shot on sight..

I am in NO way condoning the actions of these goobers...Just sayin'  if you lived in these areas you might feel differently about them...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, left field said:

The guy lost quite a bit:

The elder Renner faces three months in prison and a $9,000 fine, and has also forfeited property that was confiscated from him, including a 22-foot Sea Sport ocean boat and trailer, a 2012 GMC Sierra pickup, two rifles, two handguns, two iPhones and two sets of backcountry skis that were used in the crime. His hunting license has been revoked for 10 years.

Whether it's enough, I can't say. Do other states honour hunting license suspensions?

Confiscated because they were possible evidence.  Most likely some of it will eventually be returned.

38 minutes ago, left field said:

Is that how it works? I thought property used in a F&G crime was never returned.

Yes but I think it's hard to determine the iPhones, car, and boat as being a major component of the crime.  I'm pretty sure a lawyer can get those back pretty easily.  The guns that were used are gone for sure.