What it’s all about

Five Seasons

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

this year when i shot a doe i was a mess but when a big buck came in i was calm.  Made no sense but the longer i go in season the more composed i am , esp if i have already got one or have seen a lot of deer.  But early season its the trembles for sure . 

yeah I agree. having something in the freezer dramatically changes my anxiety. 

19 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

when I lose "that" feeling, I'll hang it up.

Last few years during spring turkey daughter and I have played with birds that hung up 75-100 yards out and out of view AND hammering away  this year we had a big doe at 175 yards from my buddies shooting tower, her toting his 7mm 08    It was out there for about 10 minutes in plot but I couldn't be 100% it was a shooter until a fawn entered plot and gave us size comparison  Now she only had a few seconds as it was walking away. I whispered take her and she was shaking so much that gun was all over the place   Doe walked away and she shed a tear and apologized   What for ?! I said. You weren't comfortable taking a shot. No wounded deer to track etc.   With the turkey the first couple of times she said she might throw up she was so nervous    I told her exactly that " When that feeling if it ever goes away it's time to quit hunting"     I still shake and hand pressure on slate call goes all wonky on every turkey    To me that's what it's all about  

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Last few years during spring turkey daughter and I have played with birds that hung up 75-100 yards out and out of view AND hammering away  this year we had a big doe at 175 yards from my buddies shooting tower, her toting his 7mm 08    It was out there for about 10 minutes in plot but I couldn't be 100% it was a shooter until a fawn entered plot and gave us size comparison  Now she only had a few seconds as it was walking away. I whispered take her and she was shaking so much that gun was all over the place   Doe walked away and she shed a tear and apologized   What for ?! I said. You weren't comfortable taking a shot. No wounded deer to track etc.   With the turkey the first couple of times she said she might throw up she was so nervous    I told her exactly that " When that feeling if it ever goes away it's time to quit hunting"     I still shake and hand pressure on slate call goes all wonky on every turkey    To me that's what it's all about  

If we could put that in a pill we wouldn't need to worry about drugs coming across the border...lol

• Like 2

This is the best!!!  That kid is hooked!  Love seeing it!

My grandson went through it this year during youth weekend. I saw a mature eight point coming from left to right about seventy five yards out, near the end of our shooting lane. Told Zach, "buck coming, get ready"!! We are set up in a hub blind, he has his rifle rock solid on shooting sticks. He sees the buck. Right away he starts breathing like he just finished a marathon, and his legs are shaking. I said ok buddy, easy does it,  get on him, and take your safety off.......... Take your safety off........ok he's stopped now.......take your safety off, shoot when your ready.......you on him?  No, he keeps moving.

He's not moving, you are! ...........................lol

He was so mad at himself when the buck finally made it into the thick stuff. I told him I was so proud of him for not rushing or taking a bad shot. There will be many more opportunities. And there will be. 

I put my arm around his shoulders and told him how proud of him I was.

2019. This is his year!!!!

• Like 6

They always say when that feeling goes away it's time to stop hunting..  havent had that feeling in years.. still hunt but more as a meat collection.  I honestly enjoy watching someone else get something ,and to see the results of my habitat management. 

• Like 5

Same. I just don’t get all pumped up prior to a shot , after I’m pretty happy . Was excited after I shot my buck this year, largely because it was the third week end of gun, and things we’re not looking promising.

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Same. I just don’t get all pumped up prior to a shot , after I’m pretty happy . Was excited after I shot my buck this year, largely because it was the third week end of gun, and things we’re not looking promising.

I think that feeling can come with a big buck, or one of your first deer. But also it comes when the season is growing close to an end and your freezer is empty. What it all boils down to is excitement and anxiety of not connecting when the pressure is on. Those that can do it are often called "clutch"

They always say when that feeling goes away it's time to stop hunting..  havent had that feeling in years.. still hunt but more as a meat collection.  I honestly enjoy watching someone else get something ,and to see the results of my habitat management. 

True That. I also believe that comes with growth and success as a hunter. Those that have been lucky enough to have great spots and have harvested many deer and above average size kinda keep it under control better. It's awesome to sit back and watch and listen to those that still make up new words and forget things after a Harvest that you have helped make happen. For Sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2