Hunting Virginia

Enigma

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:14 PM, Enigma said:

Thanks for the info Odysseus. I'll be hunting 190 private acres. Just wondering what to expect bird wise for this spring. I've never hunted south of Pa for turkeys. 

I've turkey hunted in VA, both spring & fall. Not really all that different than NY or PA, lots of birds in some areas, not so many in others. Flatlands & mountains, take your pick. I DO like that the season opens so early, and the last 2 weeks you can hunt all day. WMAs get pounded hard. Quantico & AP Hill have good bird numbers, but you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get on the base & hunt. If you have permission on any property on the Northern Neck, you are really in luck.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update post hunt . . .

Chased them for a couple more days in Va before I had to get home. We had birds gobbling most every morning but couldn't seal the deal again. Just typical turkey hunting mayhem lol, a goose cutting off two toms and running them out of the field when they were oh so close, a wicked thunderstorm and high winds for 24h, my amateurish calling etc. But fun was had by all.

Just an FYI but the bird I shot had a legit 10 3/4" beard. Never seen one that long in NY. Average spurs.

Looking forward to Wed. Time to get it done in NY. Best of luck to everyone this week.

20190428_115344.jpg

• Like 1